Helmets - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Helmets

I purchased a G-Max 2 years ago.Thought it was a good helmet but started to fall apart on a trip last year.It uses plastic screws you have to tighten every so often.I used a dime so as not to break them.Yesterday I tightened one of them and it broke.The G-Max is a poorly constructed helmet that uses inferior parts.
I tried to find and contact the company but to no avail. What it boils down to-you get what you pay for. I will never recommend to anyone nor ever purchase that brand again. My previous one was an Arai and never a problem.I've also never heard of any problems wiyh Shoei.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Top Contributor

So... $300 helmets are better than $60 helmets?

I'll make a note.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
So... $300 helmets are better than $60 helmets?

I'll make a note.
Try an Arai, and you'll start taking lots of notes.

Life......Pshhh, I would rather be riding

Never give up,
Never give in,
Passion is all you need,
Ride 'till
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan 900

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

I've had good luck with the HJC helmets. Durable and comfortable but won't break the bank.

Yesterday at a street fair I saw a couple cruise by on a nice looking HD. Both had Shoei helmets on- but the guy was wearing no shirt, shorts,and rubber flipflops. The gal was wearing short shorts, rubber flip flops and a bikini top. Maybe they thought that for 300 bucks, those helmets would protect their whole bodies!

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatC View Post
I've had good luck with the HJC helmets. Durable and comfortable but won't break the bank.

Yesterday at a street fair I saw a couple cruise by on a nice looking HD. Both had Shoei helmets on- but the guy was wearing no shirt, shorts,and rubber flipflops. The gal was wearing short shorts, rubber flip flops and a bikini top. Maybe they thought that for 300 bucks, those helmets would protect their whole bodies!
Usually you see that with sport bikes... flip flops and t-shirts (or no shirts), but a $600 Shoei. I always figured they just thought it was the 'style' to wear a full face with a sport bike (How often do you see a sport biker with a half helmet?) Seems odd to me but whatever floats your boat.

I'll second that with HJC. Wife and I both have HJC full coverage helmets and are quite happy with them. Comfortable for hours at a time, haven't had any issues with anything breaking, keeps the bugs off of ya, good ventilation, you name it! And, like you said, doesn't break the bank! Got them around $150 I think.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Garage
Wife and I both have 3/4 Scorpion helemts. Love em. Only thing we would have preferred to have was the drop-down sun visor, although we both do have tinted visors, it's a pain to switch on the fly when the sun starts going down.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
  • Saddleman Profiler Seat
  • Memphis Shades Fats 17"
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I made a comment .Apparently my kidneys weren't working properly.Would like to stop somebody from buying one in future
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS2 View Post
Wife and I both have 3/4 Scorpion helemts. Love em. Only thing we would have preferred to have was the drop-down sun visor, although we both do have tinted visors, it's a pain to switch on the fly when the sun starts going down.
I wear raybans under my helmet and just leave the clear on

Life......Pshhh, I would rather be riding

Never give up,
Never give in,
Passion is all you need,
Ride 'till
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan 900
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to overthink
I have logged over 17,000 miles in my Gmax GM68 helmet and still love it. Even picked up two more like it when they discontinued the graphics package I liked. Maybe not all Gmax helmets were created equal.

I also have an HJC IS-16 that I wore a couple of times and put back in the box. I keep meaning to put it up for sale. It was comfy, but I could stand the fact that there was no vent position for the visor.

2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650
2007 Vulcan 500 - sold
Plainfield, IL
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
The gal was wearing short shorts, rubber flip flops and a bikini top. Maybe they thought that for 300 bucks, those helmets would protect their whole bodies!
she probably did not have implants either ... for those she would at least had a armor vest.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode