Heads-up display for helmets - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Heads-up display for helmets

I'm an electrical engineering grad, and I'm a relatively new rider (been riding about three years). In my spare time, I put together a heads-up display for my own personal use. By chance, I took the helmet with me to a motorcycle show last month, and a few people I met said I ought to think about selling it.

I only have one, so I'm not actually selling it, but I thought I'd share it with the community to get some thoughts on it.

The eyepiece displays text in your field-of-view, so you can always keep your eyes on the road. It’ll display your speed, or basic GPS navigation, or both. The HUD pairs via Bluetooth to a smartphone. It looks like this from the inside of the helmet:

All of the pieces are adjustable and they fit inside any helmet, so you can keep wearing the helmet that you know and like.

It works during the day, at night, and in the rain. All weather, all conditions.

As you can see, there is no frontal aerodynamic impact, because all of the pieces are tucked inside the helmet:

It charges with a standard Android charging cable:

As far as safety is concerned, the eyepiece is made out of a ballistics-grade composite. I wouldn’t depend on it to stop an actual bullet, but it’ll definitely hold up in even the most serious impacts.

The pieces are stuck inside the helmet with the same adhesive GoPros use. Once placed, the pieces are damn near impossible to remove. You can try to yank them out, hard, and they won't budge.

The kit doesn’t permanently alter the helmet (i.e. no holes get drilled or anything like that). Removing the adhesive would take some elbow grease, but it’s possible, so it wouldn’t be like you’d permanently maim your helmet to use the HUD.

So, what do you guys think? Do you see yourself buying one of these, if it were available?
warrbucks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Blue & silver
Garage
If it's impossible to remove from the inside of the helmet, what do you do when the helmet reaches its end of life?

Gripping the throttle, his knuckles went white with desire; the wheels of his Vulcan exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinl View Post
I'm an electrical engineering grad, and I'm a relatively new rider (been riding about three years). In my spare time, I put together a heads-up display for my own personal use. By chance, I took the helmet with me to a motorcycle show last month, and a few people I met said I ought to think about selling it.

I only have one, so I'm not actually selling it, but I thought I'd share it with the community to get some thoughts on it.

The eyepiece displays text in your field-of-view, so you can always keep your eyes on the road. It’ll display your speed, or basic GPS navigation, or both. The HUD pairs via Bluetooth to a smartphone. It looks like this from the inside of the helmet:

All of the pieces are adjustable and they fit inside any helmet, so you can keep wearing the helmet that you know and like.

It works during the day, at night, and in the rain. All weather, all conditions.

As you can see, there is no frontal aerodynamic impact, because all of the pieces are tucked inside the helmet:

As far as safety is concerned, the eyepiece is made out of a ballistics-grade composite. I wouldn’t depend on it to stop an actual bullet, but it’ll definitely hold up in even the most serious impacts.

The pieces are stuck inside the helmet with the same adhesive GoPros use. Once placed, the pieces are damn near impossible to remove. You can try to yank them out, hard, and they won't budge.

The kit doesn’t permanently alter the helmet (i.e. no holes get drilled or anything like that). Removing the adhesive would take some elbow grease, but it’s possible, so it wouldn’t be like you’d permanently maim your helmet to use the HUD.

So, what do you guys think? Do you see yourself buying one of these, if it were available?
I'd definitely buy it. Can't believe dealers don't have it for windshields, especially with cruiser speeds etc. On tanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:38 AM
Premium Member
BOTM Winner
June 2016

That's an awesome idea!

How would it do for somebody a little far-sighted? I have a hard time seeing the date on my watch, so would it be fuzzy to me? I don't normally ride with my eyeglasses on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:

How much? Make me one please! I'll test & review. Been riding 40+ years & commute I95 "suicide slab" daily. Can't divert eyes for a moment. Would Love to have hud. Maybe even a windshield model.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
If it's impossible to remove from the inside of the helmet, what do you do when the helmet reaches its end of life?
It's tacked on with the same tape GoPros use. A hair dryer can be used to remove the adhesive. I'd post a video of that, but I don't have enough Internet points to do that yet.

The reason why it's so difficult to remove is because I prioritised keeping the parts in place during a crash. I didn't design it to be modular so it could be swapped between helmets. It might be something to consider in the future, but I only use one helmet with gadgets in it (my other helmet doesn't have anything in it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkelly View Post
That's an awesome idea!

How would it do for somebody a little far-sighted? I have a hard time seeing the date on my watch, so would it be fuzzy to me? I don't normally ride with my eyeglasses on.
So, the eyepiece is slightly concave, which means it makes objects appear farther away. It should be fine for use for someone with hyperopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrbucks View Post
How much? Make me one please! I'll test & review. Been riding 40+ years & commute I95 "suicide slab" daily. Can't divert eyes for a moment. Would Love to have hud. Maybe even a windshield model.

I haven't gotten the thing certified with the right regulatory bodies, but if I decide to follow through on this project, I can reach out to you then.

Last edited by colinl; 02-16-2018 at 11:58 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:16 PM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
Please count me in! I'm a retired Electronics Tech and I love gadgets.

I think this device would sell. Heck, just a few weeks ago I was wondering why no one had developed a HUD for helmets. Especially when you consider the level of tech out there today.

Let me know if you're going to sell/develop your HUD. I'm interested!

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan Classic & 2001 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Red, Red & Canyon Silver
My son and I are both interested in this. Please, move forward!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 03:07 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 VN900B
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:

I would love to be in the test market for this! How is it not already a "thing"??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Classic LT, 2014 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 900, 1700
Color: White/bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode