SIGI 3/4 zoom helmet at Walmart - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

SIGI 3/4 zoom helmet at Walmart

Ok...so, I broke one of my cardinal rules. "Don't buy cheap safety gear". And, I am sure that this post will send shivers down some of your spines. (Dont ever buy cheaper safety gear, Walmart sells crap, etc.) However....

I had a several hundred km trip planned for Wednesday/Thursday, and I have only ever worn and owned Full Face helmets.

The problem with the full face helmets is that even with the vents open, my head gets super hot. I thought that this would be even more problematic given the crazy heat we have been having here as of late.

Back to the SIGI..... I was at Walmart last Tuesday. I have shied away of helmets that come from Walmart, but I tried on a 3/4 helmet for fun, (I tend to gravitate to the automotive section everywhere I go; my wife hates it). It actually fit REALLY well. Having tried on dozens of helmets over the years, not many brands tend to fit my head perfectly.

I examined the helmet. Comfortable? Check. Fits my head well? Check. DOT approved? Check. Face-shield? Check. (I don't have a wind-shield, so for me a face-shield is a must, that is also why I have shied away from 1/2 helemts). Additional vents? Check. Extremely lightweight? Check. The price? $59.99 on sale from $75. Some quick research on the blackberry while I was standing there showed someof positive reviews by others.

Here is the helmet:

http://sigi-helmets.com/sigi-catalog...mid=76&lang=en

So, I grabbed it. I went on my little two day ride. WOW. What a difference from a FF helmet. I will still wear my full face when the situation dictates that I do so, but the 3/4 made my ride way more enjoyable than I thought imaginable. I can't even describe how much better the ride was. Now I know whey dogs like sticking their head out the car window.

In short, as long as it is DOT approved and comfortable, why not? It also comes with a solid black deflector that you can swap out in place of the face shield.

http://sigi-helmets.com/sigi-catalog...mid=77&lang=en

Is it a perfect helmet? No, but I like it. A built in sunshade would be nice, but my sunglasses worked well too. And for the price, I guess you can't expect too many features! Is it a cheap helmet? Not in my opinion. I would call it inexpensive. I believe that after DOT cert. fit is the most important feature. And this helmet fits.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode