GPS and Phone w/o Bluetooth - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS
Garage
GPS and Phone w/o Bluetooth

Shopping on a budget so am looking to avoid the expense of a full-blown Bluetooth solution to connect to my phone for GPS turn-by-turn directions and phone, maybe some music on a long ride. Now the simple solution is of course earbuds but not only have I never been able to find a pair of earbuds that don't irritate my ears (what can I say, I have sensitive ears) but I have serious doubts about the inline microphone being of any use given wind noise.

So my question is whether anyone has found a solution that:

1. Uses helmet mounted speakers (like your typical Bluetooth solution would..not earbuds)
2. Speakers provide good sound quality
3. Integrated microphone that cancels out wind noise (boom mic preferred)
4. Connects to the headphone jack on your phone

I'm not looking to communicate with other riders at this point so all I want to accomplish is to get turn-by-turn directions, phone calls and maybe listen to some music on a long ride...hence I don't need a full-blown Bluetooth solution.

I know UCLEAR makes the Pulse Plus but the user reviews (Revzilla and elsewhere) are less than stellar and the mic is nothing more than an inline mic typical of earbuds or any other headphones.

Thanks,
Chris

Living the dream!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LTD; 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja; 1993 Kawasaki ZR-1100 (now 1322 cc)
Displacement/CC's: 2000 cc; 900 cc; 1322 cc
J&M is the only company I know of that makes something to fit your criteria. It is over $400 for what they sell. The handlebar mounted unit is what you would want for a cruiser.

But you will have to buy their headset to work with their system, which is more money. So it is NOT a budget system.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the quick response.

I'll take a look for grins but at over $400 I might as well go with the Sena 20S Bluetooth solution which is discounted at $200 right now. Maybe they have some cheaper solutions...will have to look.

Living the dream!!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 05:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
What is "On a budget" to you? There are Bluetooth headsets that will connect to GPS and phone, for around $100.
Check out the Cardo Q-Solo or Sena 3S-W.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cardo-q-solo
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...red-microphone
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Ebony and Titanium
Go and take a look at these, maybe they will do what you want.

www.gearbest.com/motorcycle-parts/pp_264924.html
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 07:35 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
I think that you should consider how you will use the system (whichever you decide upon) once it's installed.

I mention this in regards to safety.

I swear I think some of the systems creators design their controls sitting at a desk. I wonder if they ever even actually ride tested them.

A few years back I was where you are now; trying to decide which is the best system to choose. Like you I wasn't interested in a 'full blown' connected system. I didn't feel I really needed all the bells and whistles that were out there. However...after much research I found that all the bells and whistles didn't necessarily equate to more expensive. More importantly, I discovered that many systems paid little to no attention to sound quality inside a helmet.

No matter what it does in regards to features, what good is it if you can't hear it well? In my research I came across many riders that expressed disappointment with how well they could hear the system.

Ultimately I changed my search parameters and requirements as I discovered sound quality and controls were the most important aspects in deciding which system to invest in.

SENA makes one of the best out there IMHO. They are very feature rich. Able to connect to just about anything you want to. The sound quality is excellent! It consists of speakers mounted inside the helmet. The microphone (both full and open face mics are included) works under still, idle and full on wind conditions providing clear voice Nav, stereo, radio (fm and 2 way) and comms with passengers and/or other riders. Friends have a different system? My 20s has new tech which allows it to sync with other systems!

The system attaches to the side of the helmet and is operated with touch or voice commands. They also sell a handlebar remote. I love the remote a lot! Bottom line; I can operate all of it's features without interfering with my operation and driving concentration. Split second distractions are dangerous. Even more so when riding a motorcycle.

When you factor in the need for in-helmet speakers, proper controls and efficient microphones you will find the SENA systems aren't that expensive by comparison.
ChrisHead and coinneach like this.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks glhadiator (and everyone else).

Sound quality is most definitely a major component in my decision. It's one of the reasons why I've excluded most of the low-end Bluetooth sets as poor sound quality seems to be a common theme in their reviews by users. That and clunky software design that makes it really hard to navigate the system functions.

The Uclear Pulse Pro seemed to be a potential compromise in terms of sound quality as that's supposed to Uclear's strength, sound quality. But of course the mic has no hope of working while riding so I'd have to decide whether or not I can live with having to pull over in order to talk on the phone. I think I could live with that but having said that I've seen several reviews that call into question sound quality and their bulky size can make them an uncomfortable fit in the helmet so I'm on the fence.

As for the 20s, the current price as a closeout item makes it a relative bargain and I hear what you're saying about features and distractions but at the same time I have one kid in college and another on the verge of starting college so am cost conscious right now. As well, I ride alone. I have a good friend who rides but he lives a fair distance away and getting together for a ride is almost impossible. Well, to be honest, thus far it has been impossible as we went all of last season (my first) without managing a single ride together. Now one day it will happen and my son plans to get a bike at some point after graduation so eventually I'll want those features but right now I don't need the bells and whistles.

Normally I'm a "get the right gear and don't skimp" guy. I've even gotten my frugal wife to believe that buying quality gear is cheaper and better in the long run than it is to pinch pennies. So were it not for college expenses I'd have already purchased the 20s and this thread wouldn't exist. I may well still do that but before I go that route I want to see what my low budget options are, in particular to get good quality sound in the helmet for GPS turn-by-turn direactiins as, to your earlier point, taking my eyes off the road to look at the screen on my iPhone is unwise and is unquestionably the #1 reason I take my eyes off the road today. Eliminating that "distraction" by pumping the turn-by-turn instructions into the helmet will increase my safety by eliminating 90%+ of the reasons I take my eyes off the road while riding. Not that I spend a lot of time looking at the screen but reality is that every glance away regardless of how brief is by definition unsafe and if you can eliminate those deistactions you would be wise to do so.

More research and pondering to do.

Living the dream!!

Last edited by ChrisHead; 01-27-2018 at 09:55 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 10:54 AM

I second glhadiator about Sena being one of, if not the best out there, I have been using the SMH10 for a long time. We have had up to 5 riders connected to a 4 person system. Not suppose to do it, but it did. I got my system before the 20 or the 20s models. They are updated as far as they will go. I like be able to call the wife or ever make the phone read out text messages to me. At the time I got mine, there was nothing out there to match it, now the newer sena will do more features.
glhadiator likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4yqi View Post
I second glhadiator about Sena being one of, if not the best out there, I have been using the SMH10 for a long time. We have had up to 5 riders connected to a 4 person system. Not suppose to do it, but it did. I got my system before the 20 or the 20s models. They are updated as far as they will go. I like be able to call the wife or ever make the phone read out text messages to me. At the time I got mine, there was nothing out there to match it, now the newer sena will do more features.
Thanks.

Please tell me more about the text to voice feature? Is that part of the Sena software or do you use another app for that!

Living the dream!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 PM

It just part of the samsung phone stuff. Just voice commands. I run up on it by accident when I recieved a text one day. and the phone keep beeping. When I got home I got to playing with it and found out I was able to have the phone read text to me thru the sena and also send it and never look at the phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode