Fix it or thrash it? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Fix it or thrash it?

the seller of my V2k gave me his helmet along with the purchase. it is a pretty decent helmet but unfortunately the helmet reeks of cigarette smoke (no offense to smokers on here).
I do have my own helmets but i was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the smoke smell from the helmet? hate to just throw away a good helmet. Since i bought the cruiser my wife has been going on rides with me, so i figured till we start riding on a regular basis, she could wear the spare helmet for the time being, but not with that nasty smell inside a FF helmet
any suggestions??
i know i am being cheap, but in a few months time we shold be spending some money to get my wife good comfortable riding apparel, but for the time being, is there a way to make this one work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijesh600 View Post
...hate to just throw away a good helmet. ....with that nasty smell inside a FF helmet
.....any suggestions??
i know i am being cheap, ....is there a way to make this one work?
NO, there's no way to make it work! You're not throwing a "good" helmet away, you're throwing a stinky. nasty, used helmet away!
.....you don't really need verification from us, do you?

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Top Contributor

How do you now the helmet is any good? Not only does it have lice, sweat, and cig smoke in it, but how many times has it been dropped? You have no idea. A dropped helmet is useless for protection and you have no idea how many times that dirty a$$ helmet has been dropped. NEVER BUY A USED HELMET if you value your head. It's also kind of like buying used underwear.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM

I would no more wear a used helmet that belonged to someone else than wear their used underwear!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

well.. you defnitely sold me on that one! I am going to trash it once i get home lol!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijesh600 View Post
well.. you defnitely sold me on that one! I am going to trash it once i get home lol!!
Yeah that would be best. I know it's tempting, especially if it's kind of a nice one but I wouldn't chance it for safety reasons above all else.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Play View Post
I would no more wear a used helmet that belonged to someone else than wear their used underwear!
bet you'd wear it if used to be that kardashian girl's drawers... hehe!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo311 View Post
bet you'd wear it if used to be that kardashian girl's drawers... hehe!

Yeah, after a couple hours in an autoclave!

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Do what you want, but here's my $0.02,

Hygiene aside, I would strongly suggest never buying or using a helmet you've aquired used. Buy it brand new and use it. There are a couple of reasons;

Helmets don't work by being super hard. Asphalt is super hard, that's kind of why we need a helmet. Helmets work by distributing the energy of an impact all around your head to prevent or reduce injury. It does this in two ways, one, with it's semi-rigid/semi-flexible shell, and two (and the important part here) with an internal 'liner' that does quite a bit of work in a crash.

Both the outer and inner shell can be damaged in places with no visible marks. If the helmet had been dropped severely, had things laid on top of it that crushed it, etc., you might not be able to tell, but it might fail in an accident.

Second, the inner shell will over time, 'break in' to the riders head. This could leave gaps in protection to YOUR head.

Like I said, do what you want. Some folks only wear helmets to stay legal so those folks probably wouldn't care what I have to say (the novelty helmet market), but if you ARE wanting to wear it for protection, I would strongly suggest buying a brand new helmet. It doesn't have to be expensive to offer protection!

As far as the cigarette smoke, I don't think that stuff can ever come out. Some miracle of science has created the most permanent product in the world, tobacco smell! I bought my Saturn used about 3 years ago, with 50k miles on it. It had a mild tobacco smell. Now, 3 years later, with 200k miles, IT STILL has a mild tobacco smell. I've steamed it, shampooed it, had it professionally detailed, you name it. It just ain't happening! (Cloth seats too though, that doesn't help at all!)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Get an Arai, you'll never buy another helmet

I would rather be riding

Never give up,
Never give in,
Passion is all you need,
Ride 'till
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan 900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode