Full VS Half helmet? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner, March 2013

Garage
Full VS Half helmet?

Hi, everyone.
I have half helmet and open face one. What I would like to know is if full helmet must have or I am good to go? Can anyone give me quick cons and pros half vs full. I am new to motorcycles and usually drive local roads with little bit freeways here and there. I live in GA where is summer is pretty hot. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Greetings, WhiteWi-
Helmet style is personal preference; with that being said, however, the more coverage, the more protection.

When I'm riding alone, I use a half helmet; when with my S.O., I use a 3/4 because of the comm headset inside of it.

Sometimes when I ride alone, I'll still wear the 3/4 because it greatly reduces wind noise. I've been contemplating getting a full-face or modular for the spring and fall riding, simply because of the "warmth" factor.

Telly
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS
Patriot Guard Rider
iPod Adapter
OEM Comms
Kury ISO Grips
Kewl Metal Helmet Locks
Racn' Ray's Throttle Mod
Kury Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Cobra Luggage Rack
Cobra Saddlebag Lid Guards
Stebel Compact Nautilus Horn
Clearview Tinted 17" Shield
Sagebrush Designs Tank Bib
Marvellas Passenger Pegs
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Pretty simple really. The more helmet you have the better it will protect you. I like a full face for cold weather, or anytime I'm likely to encounter lots of bugs or flying rocks with no windshield, read "freeway". I've known guys that rack up a TON of miles and have not ever owned a REAL helmet, only those novelty helmets with a fake "DOT" sticker on them. It all comes down to personal choice.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage

There's a chart that shows the distribution of impacts according to a handful of studies on a full face helmet. Replace whichever part you omit with your particular helmet, with the coinciding body part.

Personally, although half-shell helmets can be the difference between life and death for a lot of people, I wouldn't go without at least a 3/4 helmet. Personal preference, but I don't feel a half helmet provides adequate protection. (Beats the heck out of no helmet though!)

I actually find my full face very comfortable. It doesn't bother me in the heat (though it does others), and I love having it in the rain or cold! In the summer, when it's warm, I wear my visor up with sunglasses or safety goggles underneath (so I get tons of airflow), but if I start hitting a ton of dust getting kicked up (like a mower or construction or something like that) I can reach up and flip that visor down and be sealed away, it's not like that!

So, let's see, pro's and cons of a full face:

Pros:

Easy to seal away rain and debris
Less wind noise than other types (if it's a decent quality full face, some FF helmets are not very aerodynamic and so they actually GENERATE wind noise)
Provide the best protection of any helmet. For a variety of reasons, for one, it provides more coverage, and additionally, they know their customers have safety in mind and tend to work very hard to build them out of materials and technologies proven to reduce injuries. For many, a half-shell helmet is like liability insurance... keeps ya legal, so some half shell manufacturers focus purely on looking cool and being comfortable for riders who would otherwise not wear a helmet. (Not always! But sometimes)

Cons:
Can leave you with a sweaty head on a hot day
Cheaper FF helmets can be noisy, and poorly vented FF helmets can be hot
FF helmet fit is much more critical and difficult than other types in terms of comfort, it's harder to find a perfectly fitting FF, and it can be uncomfortable over time if it doesn't fit well (on that note, don't shop online, go in store, try it on, walk around for a few minutes with it on, etc.)

It's a matter of personal preference. Motorcycle gear is all about balancing safety and comfort. I know a guy who bought a full-face helmet because he wanted the BEST protection and said if it's not full face, it might as well not be a helmet. But when it gets hot he just doesn't wear it at all! He'd be better off with a 3/4 helmet he wore all the time! Same with gear. If you wear gear, get stuff you'll wear all the time. Leathers offer more protection over textile or mesh, but if half the time you ride you don't wear it.. what's the point?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner, March 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post

There's a chart that shows the distribution of impacts according to a handful of studies on a full face helmet. Replace whichever part you omit with your particular helmet, with the coinciding body part.

Personally, although half-shell helmets can be the difference between life and death for a lot of people, I wouldn't go without at least a 3/4 helmet. Personal preference, but I don't feel a half helmet provides adequate protection. (Beats the heck out of no helmet though!)

I actually find my full face very comfortable. It doesn't bother me in the heat (though it does others), and I love having it in the rain or cold! In the summer, when it's warm, I wear my visor up with sunglasses or safety goggles underneath (so I get tons of airflow), but if I start hitting a ton of dust getting kicked up (like a mower or construction or something like that) I can reach up and flip that visor down and be sealed away, it's not like that!

So, let's see, pro's and cons of a full face:

Pros:

Easy to seal away rain and debris
Less wind noise than other types (if it's a decent quality full face, some FF helmets are not very aerodynamic and so they actually GENERATE wind noise)
Provide the best protection of any helmet. For a variety of reasons, for one, it provides more coverage, and additionally, they know their customers have safety in mind and tend to work very hard to build them out of materials and technologies proven to reduce injuries. For many, a half-shell helmet is like liability insurance... keeps ya legal, so some half shell manufacturers focus purely on looking cool and being comfortable for riders who would otherwise not wear a helmet. (Not always! But sometimes)

Cons:
Can leave you with a sweaty head on a hot day
Cheaper FF helmets can be noisy, and poorly vented FF helmets can be hot
FF helmet fit is much more critical and difficult than other types in terms of comfort, it's harder to find a perfectly fitting FF, and it can be uncomfortable over time if it doesn't fit well (on that note, don't shop online, go in store, try it on, walk around for a few minutes with it on, etc.)

It's a matter of personal preference. Motorcycle gear is all about balancing safety and comfort. I know a guy who bought a full-face helmet because he wanted the BEST protection and said if it's not full face, it might as well not be a helmet. But when it gets hot he just doesn't wear it at all! He'd be better off with a 3/4 helmet he wore all the time! Same with gear. If you wear gear, get stuff you'll wear all the time. Leathers offer more protection over textile or mesh, but if half the time you ride you don't wear it.. what's the point?
Thank you! Very good write up. I ordered my full face helmet couple of hours ago. It is Speed and strength Seven sins in white. I hope it is going to fit good.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWi View Post
Thank you! Very good write up. I ordered my full face helmet couple of hours ago. It is Speed and strength Seven sins in white. I hope it is going to fit good.
It might, you could get lucky. The best fitting helmet I found was the first one I tried on. Tried on several after that but the first one fit best!

The thing with FF helmets is, it might be the right diameter for your head, but have 'hot spots' where it pushed on your head and makes it uncomfortable.

A properly fitting FF helmet will move your skin when you shift it side to side (cheeks too), but isn't so tight it's uncomfortable. You should be able to fit two fingers flat between your forehead and helmet, but it should require some effort (fit 'snugly', if you will). Finally, it should take a bit to pull down onto your head. If you have to really work it and squeeze it on, it's too small. If it practically falls onto your head, it's too big.

Helmets that are too big can fail to prevent some injuries as they can slide around. Also, in a somewhat funny story, a buddy of mine (who wears a half helmet) took his nephew for a ride on the back of his bike. He keeps a full face in the trunk of his electra glide in case it rains. Nephew wore his full face. Well, I'm riding along side, give him a thumbs up, he turns, gives me a thumps up, then SHWOOP that helmet is sideways on his head from the wind. Obviously it was too big! Was funny when he was a passenger, could have caused a wreck if he was the rider!

-John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Banned

Sorry I didn't get here before you bought that full- face!

I would device you to at least TRY a half Helmet before you commit. It makes all the difference in the world to me. I can't stand full- face helmets - they're pretty miserable.

-Sent from my Galaxy Tab.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithlloyd View Post
Sorry I didn't get here before you bought that full- face!

I would device you to at least TRY a half Helmet before you commit. It makes all the difference in the world to me. I can't stand full- face helmets - they're pretty miserable.

-Sent from my Galaxy Tab.
According to the OP, he HAS a half helmet and an open face already.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Top Contributor

I wear a full face almost all of the time, but I also ride with out a windshield. I do have a half helmet and wore it a lot on some of my other bikes that had windshields or when I was still in college because of the "look". I like not having the wind noise of a half helmet.Without a windshield on these 100+ days the face shield keeps a lot of the hot air off of your face. I use an AFX FX-90, they are not the best full face helmet by no means but for the price they are good. They meet DOT and ECE standards. The ventilation is ok and the aerodynamics is ok as long as you keep your head straight, They take a bit of effort to look over your shoulder but for around $75 from Dennis Kirk its not bad

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM

I wear an open face helmet. Why? Because I find I have an increase in traffic visibility as opposed to the full face.

Probably not as big a deal if you live in more rural areas.

1998 Custom Classic.
K&N Pod.
Fatboy handlebars.
Mustang Wide Seat
V&H Pipes
Denim Black Paint
Kuryakin Grips
S.O.G!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page