Motorcycle Luggage - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Thumbs up Motorcycle Luggage

I guess this is the proper place top post this......luggage is riding gear...sort of.

Every year some friends and I take a trip on our bikes. (I have a vulcan Custom, which I love!). I never seem to have enough storage capacity in my saddlebags. So, as father's day approached, I started hunting for some luggage that my kids could get for me. The prices range from cheap up to several hundred dollars. Since it is really only once a year that I would need it, that seemed way to steep.

I came across a site called Viking Bags. After lots and lots of research, I found some favourable and not-so-favourable reviews. I gambled and purchased some luggage anyways.

http://www.vikingbags.com/Economy-Li...-7744-prd1.htm

I wasn't expecting much for a $44 bag, but since I only planned on using it once a year, I figured it would be sufficient. However, shipping to Canada (I am just outside of Toronto)was some ridiculous amount (I think it was $60!) so I had it shipped to a place just across the border in Niagara falls that accepts packages for $5 for people like me who are too cheap to pay $60 for shipping. (plus I was headed to Niagara any ways for my sons birthday!)

After I got the bag home, I had a closer inspection. I can not believe this only cost $44. It is great quality, has a separate smaller roll bag, rain cover included, it shipped in about 4 or 5 days, comes with all of the straps and stuff to mount it, plus it has straps to turn it into a backpack. I am very pleased. I had read a lot of stories about poor customer service from Viking Bags, delayed shipping, wrong stuff arriving etc. but based on my experience, I would recommend.

I haven't put it on my bike yet, but it looks pretty straight forward. My saddle bags used to be crammed full on our trips. I am looking forward to trying it out. I have an awesome trip planned for September!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Top Contributor

Anyone notice that the picture of the bike on this link is a mirror image or a south paws dream come true can't quite tell. ha ha

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomRider View Post
My saddle bags used to be crammed full on our trips. I am looking forward to trying it out. I have an awesome trip planned for September!
Nice pick!

Try packing into Space Bags and you'll be surprised how much more you can cram into your luggage. My wife does the packing for our m/c trips and has been amazing me for years with those bags. Another benefit is that you don't need the rain covers as the space bags are water-tight... and your luggage will dry off quickly in the wind.

Bo Roop
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Nice!

I just did my first extended motorcycle trip, our honeymoon!

We're about to head back after a week, total fun, rode all over the place. Here's what I did:

Here's the skinny, due to some unforeseen circumstances we had previously canceled (rather delayed) our trip. At the last minute, things worked out, and we could go. This was the day of the wedding, planning on (and did) leave two days later. No time to shop for motorcycle luggage online and the selection at the local dealer was super sparse, small, and expensive. I bought two large duffel bags with lots of little loops for tying at Wal-Mart, for about $20 a piece. I also got that sissy bar bag that I've been SUPER pleased with at Wally World, for about $40. I don't have a luggage rack, but that bag sits just fine and doesn't slouch at all. It has a pocket for the sissy bar to slide into, sinches on tight, and because I'm OCD about wanting my luggage to stay on in a hurricane, I added a couple bungies to it as well. It has two loops on the bottom, ran bungies from that to the place where the sissy bar mounts to the bike.

Duffel bags have two ratchet straps looped around the saddlebags, and around the saddlebag mounts, ratcheted tightly (carefully packed so in those spots its just clothes, not camera/laptop, etc.) Then, I used a small bungie to tie the ratched straps together underneath the saddlebag, to prevent them from sliding outward and off of the saddlebag.

Finally, bungies on the front and rear of each duffel (not shown, hadn't done that yet), are run through loops on each side of the duffel, and to the bike, to hold the bags up close to the bike.

600 miles later, absolutely fine, nothing even budged, and 7 days later I'm writing this on my laptop, in clean clothes, with my DSLR camera charging, extra lenses and tripod sitting on a table, well, you get the idea. We packed everything we wanted in more.

The sissy bar bag was our 'en route' bag. It had the camera case (For pulling off the side of the road for a snapshot), a small soft cooler with ice and water so we could hydrate in this 100+ weather, some sunscreen, a first aid kit, and a couple bicycle cable-locks I used when we were stopped to lock my luggage and helmets to the bike. (not fort knox, but hopefully it'll steel any wandering eyes away, probably an unnecessary precaution but, I had those cable locks sitting around so I threw them in there)

I had planned on that being a one time setup but, it has worked so well I think that's how we'll do it in the future. Whiting57 will have a heart attack looking at it, he loves to tell stories of bungies and cables stuck in rear wheels but I think I took necessary precautions. Plus this setup was a heckuvalot cheaper than one of his fancy trailers

(Oh, also, not to pick on my wife or anything but notice how the far bag is stuffed to the gills? That was hers. Notice how the close bag is sinched tight and not even full? That's mine, and it has some of her stuff in it. hehehe) - Oh but that brings up a point. I gave her a bag to pack and then packed mine. This setup made low speed maneuvering a challenge because of the weight offset, and if you lean to steer instead of counter-steering, it would probably make it handle poorly. When we got to the first hotel, we evened the weight in the bags. Made for more secure strapping, and made it right as if it weren't there!

Edit: Oh, and there is a strap running in the back loops of the duffel bags with a bungie holding both bags together, also helping keep everything tight, up against the bike, and without shifting (even when riding the Ozark 'mountain' twisties)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 07-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Top Contributor

Looks like you know how to make things work. I was always told. "those that can't do, do with out". Good thinking.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Top job Romans 5:8 looking @ your pic & reading about your set up has given me a couple of ideas. Love your work,

Arch

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Quick and cheap....a $6.00 milk crate....

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Looking at your pic ! You've done a nice job !

Last edited by Arch; 07-02-2012 at 10:18 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Thanks. It did the job for my 12 day road trip from Vancouver BC down the Oregon Coast to San Fran and then inland to Crater Lake and home again.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
This one was funny...

$6.00 ! Wow that's expensive its good to see 1 thing in OZ is cheaper than the usa LOL. I don't think my manager will agree with the styling/cosmetic apearence of a milk crate on the back ? Although with a bit of foam tied to it - it would be a good backrest for her & I would save more $$

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode