Securing Helmet at Stores - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Securing Helmet at Stores

Curious if everyone just leaves their helmets outside when shopping or at the movies, or do you bring them in with you? My dads old Rebel had a helmet lock on it, vulcan 900 classic lt, doesn't. Though they could cut the strap off and replace it, walking away with $200+ helmets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 01:18 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
I carry a Kryptonite cable lock in the saddlebag and string it through the visor opening. Been known to string it through the sleeve of my jacket, too. Then I lock the whole mess to the sissy bar.

I imagine a big U-lock would work for the helmet, but I'm a cheap son-of-a-gun and I already had the cable lock, plus I can do the jacket trick.
va7db likes this.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 AM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Classic LT, 2014 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 900, 1700
Color: White/bronze

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:04 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LTD; 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja; 1993 Kawasaki ZR-1100 (now 1322 cc)
Displacement/CC's: 2000 cc; 900 cc; 1322 cc
I only buy Arai full face helmets, usually with artwork on them so they are in the $600-700.00 range. I take them with me into the stores most of the time but like another person who posted here, I try to carry a cable lock on the bike. If I am concerned even with that, I just carry it with me. And I NEVER put the helmet on the mirror or other elevated "hangar" on the bike.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
I use the half helmet so it fits in my saddle bag. I have left it on the back rest some times and I do wonder if it will be there. I think most grown ups will leave it alone. However there are to many delinquents to just leave it.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:08 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Vulcan VN1600 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Pearl Ivory
I fortunately have never had an issue with someone messing with my HJC full face helmets that I leave on my BMW, just ahead of the handlebar kind of behind the windshield, sitting right side up. Hope that is the same on the VN1600 I am buying.

Another option is to go on Ebay and find a Honda keyed helmet lock, and find a place to mount it on your bike. There are loads of helmet locks on the net.

On my 94 BMW R1100RS it has a zipper attachment at the back of the fuel tank in the gap between the tank and seat. Looks a bit like a leather flap about 4" wide with a zipper on it. Came out to my bike once and some dipshit must have thought it was funny to empty his ashtray in between the flap and the tank.

Bet he would have thought it hilarious if I opened his car door and pissed on his seat......dick heads.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Gun Lock, small but keeps honest people honest; a non rider won’t cut the straps, and a rider wouldn’t cut the straps as it defeats the point of the helmet. Don’t leave helmet unattended on your handlebars; it will get picked up.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:24 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
There's always some punk that thinks it's OK to take someone else's things. So I always carry my stuff with me when I'm at a store. Of course I'm prepared for doing so.

I carry my personal items and valuables in a small shoulder pack that fits in one of my saddle bags. Because the pack is the size of the helmets footprint it attaches nicely to it. This basically turns the helmet into a shoulder pack allowing me to carry it around slung over a shoulder.

It would be nice if we could trust one another in this world. But, I'm a realist. Sadly such a thing just isn't possible.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:36 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Vulcan VN1600 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Pearl Ivory
Sometimes I use the helmet strap looped through the rear carrier or grab rail and then through the D-rings to at least hold the helmet onto the bike so no one can bump it and make it fall off the bike. If someone is determined or dick-head enough they certainly could just unstrap the helmet and do what they will, plus who is gonna ask them about it unless they saw the person who owned the bike put the helmet there. Even then most people would not say anything anyway, these days you never know what kind of nut cases are out there.

Probably the best options are to lock the helmet in the side bag or tour pack box if you have it, or to lock the D-rings to the bike in some manner. A thief generally won't waste any time/effort if they're deterred somewhat, they want to grab it quick and run.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Nomad , 1985 BMW K100 X2 , 1985 Intruder, 1998 Ducati Monster, 1972 CL350, 1948 Indian CZ125, 2
Displacement/CC's: 125 -1500
Color: Blue & Silver , Black , Gray , Maroon,black,
Garage
Cool all i do

is drop 3 or 4 44 Magnum casings around the scooter of course if you have a packet of ketchup that may help.
tiny tim, cheezyridr and gwstang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement