6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue
Garage
Question about helmets.

So I have been looking at helmets that support Bluetooth and came across the Sena Calvary. It's a nice looking helmet I am just not 100% sure about rocking the half helmet and it seems my other options are a full face which again, not a fan of. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good 3/4 helmet that has integrated Bluetooth?

si vis pacem para bellum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 02:17 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Have you considered getting a modular helmet? They look like full face helmets, but the whole front lifts up. This makes it easier to put on and take off the helmet.

The 3/4 helmets are the in between. They cover 3/4 of your head, leaving the front exposed. I used to wear one until I got the modular helmet. It was alright. They won't cut down air noise like FF helmets, though.
The Heater likes this.

I'm gone!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 AM

Color: Red
Garage
You can also get whatever helmet you like best and then add a Sena system after the fact. Most new helmets these days seem to have the holes already to fit the little speakers into the helmet with.

And like crazyriderguy, I have also gone with a modular. Love the quiet ride and sense of safety it gives when riding.

Gone are the days we stop to decide where we should go, we just ride.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
Many helmet makers advertise 'Bluetooth ready' helmets. Meaning of course they don't have any devices installed in them, but are built/designed ready to install. There aren't many that already have devices installed. My point is that you'll have a better chance installing your own device.

The biggest part of a helmet device is to provide intercom, navigation, phone and music. The intercom and phone require a microphone. This presents a problem when using them with a helmet that has a open face.

I use the Sena on a modular helmet. It has changed my ride forever. I enjoy intercom, nav, phone, voice texting, internet and music while riding. There was a reviewer that installed the Sena on a 3/4 helmet and posted some comms while riding. It was quite impressive.

Good luck in your search. Getting a good Bluetooth device will change your ride.
silverpugj likes this.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Maroon/Gold
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhadiator View Post
Good luck in your search. Getting a good Bluetooth device will change your ride.

I'll second that! My son, son-in-law and I picked up a set off Amazon. They're not the best, but the ability to have music and communicate with your other riders is great.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 04:58 AM

Never leave my home without them. 1 on the helmet & 1 always charging in the left fairing pocket of the bike..

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
My girlfriend and I have the Sena 20S - it is great to say the least. I could never imagine how much safer it actually makes the trips when we can communicate while riding separately. I now cannot imagine riding without one
glhadiator likes this.

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
2011 Voyager - Blue/Silver - "Addie"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Another +1 for buying a separate bluetooth unit and installing it in the helmet of your choice.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
Cyclegear has some of their bluetooth helmets on sale -- the whole helmet and the Sena Bluetooth already installed for a lot less than the standalone Sena. Size/Color selection is limited, though. I picked up a modular, size XL, which fits just a tad snugly on me -- since you're right up the road, you're welcome to give it a listen if it'll go on your head. 64th St. WalMart parking lot or whatever. The sound quality is quite good. I could probably be convinced to part with it, though I like it for around town, just not long rides. (I keep hoping it's going to somehow magically "break in" and be fine ....could happen.....)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
If you decide to go with a separate Bluetooth headset, the Cardo Q1 and Q3 are on closeout. Revzilla has the multiset for around $235 for either model. With the Revzilla reward program I got a Q3 multiset earlier this month for $208 (normally $390) to replace my Q2s, which were almost five years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode