Helmet help - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Helmet help

I'm a noob. I borrowed a friend's helmet. Now I'm torn between spending more on a nice helmet and use it til it's not safe anymore, or getting a less expensive (that doesn't mean less safe) helmet for the summer while I practice at slower speeds. Then get the nicer one when I'm more confident at higher speeds (maybe next summer while looking out for deals this fall), using the first helmet for passengers someday. What do you think?

I previously posted this in the wrong forum, sorry for the double post.

'05 Vulcan 500
"It's good to be important... but more important to be good."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Top Contributor

If it's DOT approved use it. Regardless of $ the standard is the standard. Now cosmetics are our option. Revolvers, shields, graphics, bluetooth all add cost without changing the compliance to the standard. Just never ride without it. Enjoy and Ride Safe!

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 AM
JtC
Top Contributor

Garage
Bear's got it right. A $70 dollar helmet saved my life. I've got a $90 bell FF that is very nice, comfy, and DOT and I've got a Bell Mag 8 3/4 that is also very nice (old school look) DOT and cost only $50.

2010 V2K Classic LT aka "Mr. Spock"
2007 Suzuki S83 -fast, fun, goodbye, good riddance
2005 Nomad R.I.P. Totaled in '07

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMA#158186
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." -2 Corinthians 3:17

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I use a "SKULL KRUSH" carbon fiber shorty lid and love it ! DOT KAN KMA ! I have a full selection of other DOT helmets and they are too heavy and uncomfortable, I don't use them.

CRUISER
DON RUSSELL
Aspire Machining
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2123 View Post
If it's DOT approved use it. Regardless of $ the standard is the standard. Now cosmetics are our option. Revolvers, shields, graphics, bluetooth all add cost without changing the compliance to the standard. Just never ride without it. Enjoy and Ride Safe!
second that,I use a skid lid half helmet polycabonate.comp.best all day wearing lid I ever owned, not exspensive but d.o.t approved!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Pricier does not equal a safer helmet. Just better ventilation (maybe), quieter (maybe), better graphics and longer lasting fittings. Worth it?
I was looking at the Sharp testing results and the $160 AGV S-4 had a 5 star rating, the same as the $500 RF1100 I was looking at (with the graphics I like so much, mmmm). I'm going to try on an exo 750 tonight and maybe a AGV Stealth tomorrow (both the 700 and S4 are older models, not sure if they stock them)

'05 Vulcan 500
"It's good to be important... but more important to be good."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Garage
Ive used half helmets all my life, most recent a Scorpion. But Last week I switched to the Shoei 3/4 helmet. Mostly for the additional hearing protection and the ability for comm system.

Thunder Mfg. Airkit * D&D Exhaust * Dobeck GEN III EFI * Kuryakyn Longhorn Pegs * Saddlebag Guards * Nuvi 550 * Mustang Seat w Backrest * Irate Mesh Radiator Grill * HD Trunk Rack * Front fender guard rails * Polk Audio DXi 525's * Dunlop 407/408 Wide White Walls * Kuryakyn ISO Grips - Weights - Throttle Bosses * RacNRay's Throttle Mod * OEM CB Radio * EdSets Headseat/Mic * Exhaust Heat Wrapped Header * Faimm Air Horn * Brake Caliper Chrome * Rear Brake Res. Tank Chrome * HogTunes Amp
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Dont know if this will interest you but I got a Vega full face helmet from jafrum.com with built in bluetooth and a drop down sun shield for $119 and free shipping. Got one for me and my wife so we can chat while riding. I can also stream music from my iPhone in stereo when I ride alone or answer my phone. It is DOT approved as well.
-Art
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 AM

Garage
go to leatherup.com. best prices on everything bikers need including helmets. I have bought tons of stuff from them with no problems.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: Vulcan 900 Custom
Also try The Helmet Center. They have a lot of video reviews on their stock that was really helpful to me in choosing my helmet. I would recommend looking at their videos, getting an idea of what you would like, and then going to your local store to try them on.
Remember, if a helmet isn't comfortable, you're not going to want to wear it. That being said, I'm in love with my Bell Vortex which cost all of $180. Don't think you need to spend 5-6-700 dollars to get something comfortable.

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
-Bubs Jug Huggers exhaust
-Power Commander III
-Baron BAK
-Kuryakyn grips and pegs
-Fire and Steel Light Bar
-Low and Mean fender and radiator shroud
-Custom Speedometer
-Memphis Shades Batwing (9"visor w/s, lowers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode