1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Sport boots on a cruiser?

Has anybody worn sport-oriented boots on a cruiser before? Is it comfortable? Is it a bad idea?

My thought process is that I want alpinestars boots, for no logical or fact based reason. Unfortunately, I don't really like any of their touring or cruiser-oriented boots. However, I do like their sport boots, and I want as much protection as I can possibly get, and it seems like sport boots are the way to go in that regard.

So, is it a bad idea, or should I be okay?

Are sport boots pre-formed for sport bikes similar to how some jackets have the arms pre-formed and curved for a more comfortable position? Or will they work fine standing on floorboards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Matte black
I got some gently used AlpineStars calf-height boots from Craigslist, and they seem totally fine on my Vulcan S. I don't have floorboards, but I don't see why they wouldn't work with them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Has anybody worn sport-oriented boots on a cruiser before? Is it comfortable? Is it a bad idea?

My thought process is that I want alpinestars boots, for no logical or fact based reason. Unfortunately, I don't really like any of their touring or cruiser-oriented boots. However, I do like their sport boots, and I want as much protection as I can possibly get, and it seems like sport boots are the way to go in that regard.

So, is it a bad idea, or should I be okay?

Are sport boots pre-formed for sport bikes similar to how some jackets have the arms pre-formed and curved for a more comfortable position? Or will they work fine standing on floorboards?
I don't wear sport boots and I don't know anything about them. However, I do wear cowboy style work boots and I ride a 900 LT. So far so good. I didn't think they would work with floorborads. Thought the boot shaft would be a problem; but, nope! I would think that if the sport boots are form fitting, then they would not be a good choice for a cruiser. JMO.

I'm gone!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenVulcan View Post
I got some gently used AlpineStars calf-height boots from Craigslist, and they seem totally fine on my Vulcan S. I don't have floorboards, but I don't see why they wouldn't work with them.
Do you remember what model they were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyriderguy View Post
I don't wear sport boots and I don't know anything about them. However, I do wear cowboy style work boots and I ride a 900 LT. So far so good. I didn't think they would work with floorborads. Thought the boot shaft would be a problem; but, nope! I would think that if the sport boots are form fitting, then they would not be a good choice for a cruiser. JMO.
How's the ankle protection on your boots? That's the main thing I'm worried about, I want to reduce the chances of a twisted/fractured ankle if I wreck my bike and go tumbling along the pavement.

All stock 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - "Lola"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
How's the ankle protection on your boots? That's the main thing I'm worried about, I want to reduce the chances of a twisted/fractured ankle if I wreck my bike and go tumbling along the pavement.
There isn't any ankle protection. Heck, I could twist my ankle in them from walking; but, they are great if standing on concrete for hours and hours.

I'm gone!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyriderguy View Post

There isn't any ankle protection. Heck, I could twist my ankle in them from walking; but, they are great if standing on concrete for hours and hours.
I'm definitely wanting a pair of motorcycle boots with heavy protection, and then I'll change into walking shoes once I get to my destination. The last thing I want to do is go down in boots that don't protect me and wind up with a shattered ankle.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:07 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Vulcan VN1600 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Pearl Ivory
I have been wearing motorcycle specific sport touring boots for decades on my BMWs, worn Joe Rocket, Motoport, Alpinestars, and now two pair of TCX (BMW boots). The TCX boots fit great, I can wear them all day and they are totally waterproof as I have proved in 1,000s of miles of rain riding. They have good supportive shanks in them for foot comfort on footpegs, and I'd expect even more comfort on floorboards when I start riding the VN1600 I bought recently.

They have great ankle and shin protection (lost count of how many times I've been hit by something on my shins while riding), and they feature great grip with the soles. So I am sold on wearing the same on my Vulcan. But since my Vulcan has floorboards it will give me the option of western style boots when the mood strikes.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 03:08 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Blue & silver
Garage
I wear A* Roam 2 Airs with no trouble. The heel-down-toe-up angle doesn't allow as much airflow as on a sportbike, but they work.

Gripping the throttle, his knuckles went white with desire; the wheels of his Vulcan exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:20 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Candy Fire Red
I had never had motorcycle specific boots before. I got these a few months ago. Forma Adv tourers. They are CE rated and I am pleased with them so far. No issues riding on my cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D179474-AC21-4306-BC77-E1AE862C0BD9_1514938776521.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	208073  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
I have Ariat Workboots

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode