Anyone wear leather? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Anyone wear leather?

Or is that mainly a Harley thing? I wear leather gloves and boots, but I have a Tourmaster jacket. I was thinking of switching to a leather jacket and maybe even pick up some chaps, but I started thinking about it and I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a leather jacket and chaps and NOT riding a Harley. Do you guys wear leather jackets or chaps?

Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro
Rear Scootworks OD Pulley
Debaffled stock exhaust
Mustang Wide Touring Seat

USMC
Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Sometimes, if the misses if feeling up to it, I'll put on some leather.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LTD; 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja; 1993 Kawasaki ZR-1100 (now 1322 cc)
Displacement/CC's: 2000 cc; 900 cc; 1322 cc
I have chaps but have rarely worn them.

I do wear leather, almost always. I have mostly leather for jackets (I have several jackets), and have leather jean pants made by Vanson, and I have a custom made two piece leather suit that I have occasionally worn on my cruiser, although it is more suitable for my sport bike.

I wear leather with armor in the shoulders and elbows and back. Ventilation is a must. One jacket I own has fabric inserts on the insides of the sleeves and perforation in the front and exhaust at the rear. Another jacket has a zip down vent that goes top to bottom on right and left on the front and ventilation out the back (expansion joints going top to bottom on each side). I own a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket to wear on real hot days, but if I am touring I only wear leather, usually the perforated jacket, and I take a rain coat to put over it if it gets cold or rainy.

For pants I usually wear jeans or work pants, but I do also wear leather pants on some trips. I consider leather the best protection, but there are good fabric options out there that have pretty decent abrasion resistance and armor, and they can provide better ventilation unless you buy a leather jacket that is perforated or that has a lot of built in ventilation zippers or fabric inserts (usually those are on inside panel of sleeves).

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Top Contributor

HD does not own leather.

When you are riding, you have very little protection even if you are all geared up.

However, leather is riders choice for breaking cold wind and possibly preventing road rash. I highly suggest that everyone invest in as much leather protection as you can afford.

What matters above all is the joy of riding and confidence in knowing that if you were to go down, you have a good chance of survival.

Now of course if you saw me about two days ago, you'd call me a major hypocrite. Don't do what I do, do what I say to do. Lernt that from mom.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Leather jacket, vest and chaps here. Wear depending on temps.

2011 Kawasaki Vaquero

1989 Yamaha FJ1200
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Garage
I wear a joe rocket mesh jacket with armor, leather/mesh work boots with steel toes, just got a pair of leather chaps and my gloves are leather/textile sport bike gloves with some armour

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
  • Saddleman Profiler Seat
  • Memphis Shades Fats 17"
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Top Contributor

h yes, well, sometimes... OH !! you meant on a bike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Or is that mainly a Harley thing? I wear leather gloves and boots, but I have a Tourmaster jacket. I was thinking of switching to a leather jacket and maybe even pick up some chaps, but I started thinking about it and I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a leather jacket and chaps and NOT riding a Harley. Do you guys wear leather jackets or chaps?

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM

I wear my leathers most of the time. Don't care for chaps though.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Contributor

I have leather jackets & chaps, also have Cordura jacket and pants with armour that I wear 90% of the time, exept when I do local erands jeans, t shirt, running shoes is all I use

as for road rash, that's the last thing that I need to worry if I hit the ground at high speed

more concerned about fractures

just my opinion ride safe
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 PM

Heh you say that but road rash sucks bawls!!

I always wear leather gloves deer skinned lined. I have a leather jacket for cold weather, sliders jeans (Kevlar lined), textile jacket w armor.

Used to be A jeans/tshirt guy until I picked gravel n glass out of my body for a couple of weeks. Good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode