Ear Plugs - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Ear Plugs-- Who Uses Them

OK so just wondering who wears earplugs when riding, and what kind. Full face helmet, or beanie?

2006 VN2000 Classic Lt

Last edited by cheapdutchguy; 04-29-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Top Contributor

Full-face modular helmet. I almost always ride with sunglasses on and the face shield up. I have a Cardo-Scala intercom system with helmet speakers which I use to listen to my Ipod while riding. I wear earplugs sometimes. If most of my day's riding is on 60 MPH or less, I probably don't put in earplugs. If I know I'm going to be on the freeway, or on a windy day, then I put some in.

I have found though, that a long day with earplugs gives me a low-grade headache, unless the earplugs are very soft.

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

cdg, got me some spensive hearing aids work like ear plugs, jus push lil button an the world goes away (Riddens) don't miss it any much. silence is very underrated!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

Always

I always wear earplugs. I get them in bulk off of Amazon here:

200 pair for right around $20. I can get a week or so out of a pair before I toss them. 200 pair usually lasts me a year between shooting trap, riding, mowing, etc.

I've watched my uncles, father-in-law, and my dad all get harder and harder of hearing as they've gotten older. I practically have to yell at my father-in-law nowadays. None of them ever took hearing protection seriously. My dad hunted since he was a kid and was in the Air Force for 8 years. My father-in-law rode motorcycles his whole life and worked in a fab shop as a welder until he retired this year.

None of them can hear very well and it does affect their quality of life enough to be noticeable.

I'm probably a little on the extreme side of hearing protection -I wear ear muffs when I'm working with air tools, my shop vac, vacuuming the house. and I wear plugs when I shoot, ride, mow, etc. My ears are every bit as important to me as my eyes. I wear a full-face and even at 60 with plugs I think the wind is still noisy. Just tonight I rode home from my mom and dad's and my left plug wasn't pushed in quite all the way. After 35 miles when I got home I can definitely tell my left ear is affected.

It all adds up over time. A gunshot here, rock concert there, long MC ride - do that for 30 or 40+ years and it'll catch up to a person.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM

A must for freeway riding. I use the foam type that you squeeze and fit in the ear. I'll eventually buy some custom molded plugs. You DON'T get your hearing back, so it's just not worth it to be too cool to wear plugs.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Run over the top of em,, say what?

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
A must for freeway riding. I use the foam type that you squeeze and fit in the ear. I'll eventually buy some custom molded plugs. You DON'T get your hearing back, so it's just not worth it to be too cool to wear plugs.
same goes for yor noggin. Too kool for helmet.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I wear earplugs for anything other than a quick errand or short trip around town. Even with a full face helmet (shield usually open) and a fairing I wear plugs more often than not. I've spent most of my life around loud things and have always been aware of protecting my hearing.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

the lady at the ear store... Not really, hearing dr. says this next gen is will become the most loss of hearing because of all the exposure to loud music especially with ear buds.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM

Used to ride with canal ear phones which did a very good job of knocking out wind noise. Recently started using a Bluetooth headset that has helmet speakers. I am going to start with earplugs again to help knock down the wind noise.

R-man check out some low pressure ear plugs that is what I used to wear when I rode and it made a huge difference to me. My personal favorite were the low pressure style buy Howard Leight. I discovered those through work when ear plugs were a daily necessity while working in a plant and they had to be put in and removed numerous times throughout the day.

2009 900 SE
Black Iso Grips
Mustang wide touring seat
Fully debaffled exhaust
Kawasaki gloss black back rest and luggage rack
Metzeler ME880 200 70 R15
Metzeler ME880 MH 90 21
Sena SHM10 Bluetooth intercom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page