Motorcycle Dash cam - pro's/con's? Recommendations? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Motorcycle Dash cam - pro's/con's? Recommendations?

I'm new to motorcycles and riding on public roadways. Last year two of my buddies got into fairly major accidents (hospital trip but full recovery) so the idea of having a dash cam seems like it could come in handy should something unexpected happen.

Any thoughts on Pro's/Cons of adding something like this to the ride? I've been doing some internet research and this system seems really solid for the price point:

www.innovv.com/the-k

it's a china manufacture but reviews seem solid and it's about half price of what I'd have into a Go Pro rig.

Figured I'd see what the peanut gallery knows

I do what I can, where I'm needed - I'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. You should be so lucky to know me...

Last edited by Shipyard; 03-17-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
well, this is just my opinion but, I think adding dash cam to your bike is only a pro, and I can't think of any cons to doing it, so god speed.

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
Adding a cam is a great idea. Looking to do it myself. But research the video samples for the K1. Not the best quality and the audio is useless because of wind and engine noise. License plates are only legible within 10 feet or so. The kit is an interesting idea that was executed badly. I.e. typical product of china.
Shipyard likes this.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:13 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue
Garage
A little pricey but I've seen GoPro setups, either the handlebar or helmet mounted with some of the groups I rode with.
Shipyard likes this.

2012 Vulcan Vaquero 1700
K&N filter
Mustang Seat
Debaffled pipes

2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic
Caddmann intake mod
Techlusion FI mod
Mustang seats
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad ABS
Color: Black/White
Garage
I've been riding with a cam since about 2010. Whenever I ride by myself, or maybe one other, I'll have it on. My wife knows if I ever go down, get the video! I tell others "it's my attorney". Fortunately, I've never needed it for that purpose. The one I have is a Contour Roam. I chose it over the GoPro for it's size and ease of use. It doesn't have a screen on it and must be attached to a computer to download and/or view the videos. 720p, 1080p and photo capable and it has one simple, large button to turn on and off that can be used with heavy gloves. Also waterproof. Since my use was strictly for "evidence", I didn't need all the features of a GoPro.

My experience is that whatever you get make sure it has a wide view range (the Contour is 170°) and high enough resolution (HD) to read license plates! The wide view range makes scenic captures unappealing, but if you want it for "evidence" you want it to be able to see what you see.

Go for the ride!
2014 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad ABS
2008 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (sold 2015 42k miles)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold ~1985)
1970 Suzuki TS250 Scrambler (stolen 1971)
1968 Bridgestone 200 MKII RS (sold 1970)
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy View Post
I've been riding with a cam since about 2010. Whenever I ride by myself, or maybe one other, I'll have it on. My wife knows if I ever go down, get the video! I tell others "it's my attorney". Fortunately, I've never needed it for that purpose. The one I have is a Contour Roam. I chose it over the GoPro for it's size and ease of use. It doesn't have a screen on it and must be attached to a computer to download and/or view the videos. 720p, 1080p and photo capable and it has one simple, large button to turn on and off that can be used with heavy gloves. Also waterproof. Since my use was strictly for "evidence", I didn't need all the features of a GoPro.

My experience is that whatever you get make sure it has a wide view range (the Contour is 170°) and high enough resolution (HD) to read license plates! The wide view range makes scenic captures unappealing, but if you want it for "evidence" you want it to be able to see what you see.
that's super helpful - thanks! do you have your cameras powered off the bike or just battery?

I do what I can, where I'm needed - I'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. You should be so lucky to know me...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Garage
Shipyard; It's powered off it's internal battery, so it has to be charged. The charging port is located behind a water-tight cover, so plugging it in while moving may not be option. I'm not sure if you can power it with the cover open and plugged into a power port while moving. That said, the battery lasts about 3-4 hours of recording. With the lengthy battery time I never felt it was necessary. I have a 32 gig sd card which holds everything it can record while the battery is powering. One thing I wish it had is the ability to overwrite the older files. With this one I have to delete the recordings I no longer want to make space. Mine is a pretty old Contour and I don't know what the newer Contour's offer. Here's a not-very-good photo of my mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170317_101723.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	184786  

Go for the ride!
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75

Last edited by CarGuy; 03-17-2017 at 10:23 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:03 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Black
Garage
I too have an old model Contour. Brought because of its profile and weather proof straight out of the box.

The big question is if you bike or helmet mount it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulcan Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Gunmetal/Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy View Post
Shipyard; It's powered off it's internal battery, so it has to be charged. The charging port is located behind a water-tight cover, so plugging it in while moving may not be option. I'm not sure if you can power it with the cover open and plugged into a power port while moving. That said, the battery lasts about 3-4 hours of recording. With the lengthy battery time I never felt it was necessary. I have a 32 gig sd card which holds everything it can record while the battery is powering. One thing I wish it had is the ability to overwrite the older files. With this one I have to delete the recordings I no longer want to make space. Mine is a pretty old Contour and I don't know what the newer Contour's offer. Here's a not-very-good photo of my mount.
Do you have any issues with vibration when playing back video? Mounted to the handlebars, I would imagine the picture wouldn't be great, but I don't know.

Love the setup.

-Wander
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasix View Post
Do you have any issues with vibration when playing back video? Mounted to the handlebars, I would imagine the picture wouldn't be great, but I don't know.

Love the setup.
No vibration issues at all. In fact, I'm really surprised because mine is handlebar mounted. I used to have it on my helmet but didn't want the extra weight there. I feel the windshield protects it from bugs and rocks, but the windshield does seem to "oscillate" at certain speeds causing a wavy appearance in some of the capture. The sound quality on the camera isn't great, but works. I think that's because of it being waterproof. Neither is an issue for me because I don't use it for scenery. When it was helmet mounted the 3M tape/helmet mount worked great!

Go for the ride!
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode