Getting a jacket altered - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Getting a jacket altered

I am curious if anyone has had a leather jacket altered before? As with most long-sleeved items, I have issues with the sleeves riding too far up my arms. This creates a restriction problem, especially with leather jackets, when trying to turn on the bike.

The jacket I have is a classic biker jacket with shoulder snaps, belt, side lace and zipper sleeves. The sleeves ride where they need with my arms at my sides, but when on the bike, the ride about 2 inches behind my wrists. What I am considering is getting the zippers on the sleeves replaced with heavy duty elastic material and get 1 or 2 snap cuffs sewed on.

Just curious has had any work like this done and if so, what kind of money am I looking at to get the work done.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:48 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
I got a quote to replace the lining of a jacket once, I was even going to provide the fabric and the number was $100-150, so I wouldn't be surprised if the work you want done would cost $50-100. Your best bet would be to stop by a tailor and ask what they think it would cost.

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:49 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyriderguy View Post
I am curious if anyone has had a leather jacket altered before? As with most long-sleeved items, I have issues with the sleeves riding too far up my arms. This creates a restriction problem, especially with leather jackets, when trying to turn on the bike.

The jacket I have is a classic biker jacket with shoulder snaps, belt, side lace and zipper sleeves. The sleeves ride where they need with my arms at my sides, but when on the bike, the ride about 2 inches behind my wrists. What I am considering is getting the zippers on the sleeves replaced with heavy duty elastic material and get 1 or 2 snap cuffs sewed on.

Just curious has had any work like this done and if so, what kind of money am I looking at to get the work done.

Thanks!
I have the same problem with my jacket. I can tell you what I found out. Whether it applies in your situation, I don't know but maybe this might be of some help. In my case I purchased a Jacket from a store in Washington state and had it shipped to me. It's a " FMC" jacket. Good quality leather, sewing, just the arms are a bit short and seem to ride up when arms stretched holding handle bars. When standing the sleeve comes just a bit below my wrist and gives the impression of being the right fit. Then I looked at some jackets that were made in the USA and guess what, all the sleeves on those jackets are much longer. They actually go down to your first set of knuckles on your hand. They look out of sorts when standing tall, but when riding the arms are at the perfect length and no problems with the sleeves riding up. Now a good USA jacket costs 2 to 3 times more than my jacket did, but I think in the long run you would come out better with the USA one. I really don't think having elastic put in the sleeves will make a difference. It's going to ride up anyway, its just too short. I measured the distance the jacket was riding up on my arms and found myself a pair of good gauntlet gloves which covered the spot that needed covering . Worked very well for me. Hopefully it would work for you as well.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBagger View Post
I have the same problem with my jacket. I can tell you what I found out. Whether it applies in your situation, I don't know but maybe this might be of some help. In my case I purchased a Jacket from a store in Washington state and had it shipped to me. It's a " FMC" jacket. Good quality leather, sewing, just the arms are a bit short and seem to ride up when arms stretched holding handle bars. When standing the sleeve comes just a bit below my wrist and gives the impression of being the right fit. Then I looked at some jackets that were made in the USA and guess what, all the sleeves on those jackets are much longer. They actually go down to your first set of knuckles on your hand. They look out of sorts when standing tall, but when riding the arms are at the perfect length and no problems with the sleeves riding up. Now a good USA jacket costs 2 to 3 times more than my jacket did, but I think in the long run you would come out better with the USA one. I really don't think having elastic put in the sleeves will make a difference. It's going to ride up anyway, its just too short. I measured the distance the jacket was riding up on my arms and found myself a pair of good gauntlet gloves which covered the spot that needed covering . Worked very well for me. Hopefully it would work for you as well.
The elastic is just to replace the zippers on the sleeves. I'll get cuffs added to the end of the sleeves so they cover what they are supposed to cover. My trouble with the sleeves is that they will restrict arm movement enough to make it difficult for me to steer the bike. Plus, when I wear half-finger gloves, there's like 2 inches of skin between the sleeve and the glove. The jacket I have is a Milwaukee brand jacket in 3XT (https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Polic...her&th=1&psc=1).

I'm really tired of going thru jackets. Seems like everybody makes jackets for short-armed people. It's like that in jeans, too. I can't get my inseam size right without having extra material between the legs. So far, the only one that has ever fit me good was a Joe Rocket Ballistic 2.0 jacket. I had that when I had my Versys 650. The sleeves were perfect, but the collar wasn't. The collar choked me out while I was in the driveway on the bike getting ready to head to work. That's an experience I'll never forget.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBagger View Post
Here is an example of what i am talking about. Check out the sleeve lengths of these jackets versus the ones we own. You'll see the difference right. These jackets are made for American sizes and not for altered "Chinese sizes".

https://sujktq-ch3301.files.1drv.com...&cropmode=none
WOW! I see what you mean; but there's no way I'd spend almost $500 on a leather jacket. I just don't have that kind of money.

The other thing I hate about jackets is in order to get one to fit my gut, it's gotta come with a chest big enough to hold a large pair of melons, lol!

Last edited by crazyriderguy; 03-13-2017 at 12:07 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:26 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
Finding clothes that fit is such a pain in the nards. Even something as simple as a t-shirt, every brand fits differently. I can literally wear anything from a small to an extra large, depending on the brand. I've tried on jackets where the arms felt tight, but you could pull the front 6-8 inches off my chest, and it wasn't long enough. The sad fact is that unless you have tried something on in a store, you just can't be certain that it will fit properly if you order it online, even if it's your size. This especially matters if you are extremely picky about how your clothes fit, like me.

My suggestion is try on a few different jackets at a few different stores, write down the brand and name or style number or whatever, then check to see if anyone is trying to sell one in your size used on craigslist, or you can try to find something online. Or, you could of course always go back to one of the stores you tried the jacket on at and get it from them, it's good to support local businesses!

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:23 PM

Garage
I custom make all my gear. Nothing comes in the right green or purple nor doe it have that mix of style and functions I needed. I should say I am a tailor by trade though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2347.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	211889   Click image for larger version

Name:	shoes.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	211897   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	211905   Click image for larger version

Name:	36462647852_88e3f19305_o.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	211913  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
The problem I have with mine is that the middle part of the jacket keeps shrinking. It's starting to happen to all my jackets. It's got to be bad manufacturing. At least that's my theory.
Sabre-t, CRU, wolfy(TM) and 1 others like this.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFISH View Post
The problem I have with mine is that the middle part of the jacket keeps shrinking. It's starting to happen to all my jackets. It's got to be bad manufacturing. At least that's my theory.
I have the exact same problem!

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode