Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

How to route wiring for heated gloves?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  btom 
#1 ·
Hey all, I've got a 2016 Vaquero and some brand new First Gear heated gloves!

I'll be wiring them up in the morning, but I'm curious how y'all ran yours? My lovely wife bought me a kit for my upcoming birthday, but gave 'em to me early since it's in the 30s and 40s in the AM, and my poor digits are gettin' cold!

The kit came with the gloves, a Y harness, and the Heat-troller (HT).

It looks like the HT gets mounted permanently on the bike and has a waterproof cap on it, yay. Then the Y harness I'm assuming gets run through my jacket to each glove?

Not sure where to zip-tie the HT wiring to? Also, the HT came with velcro, is that mounted on the bike or something? It says you can leave it on in the rain, that it's waterproof - any experience with this?

Thanks,

-John

#2 ·
The First Gear Heat-trollers are pretty well sealed, I think. I don't have that brand, but know folks that do and none have had any problems that I know of.

I always have the battery pigtail come out from under the seat and just connect the Y harness to that. I find that the coiled wire harness is easier to deal with, running straight to the gloves (assuming not using a heated jacket), but the straight wire Y under the jacket works OK, too. When I am finished with the gear, I put the cap on the pigtail and push it under the edge of the seat. It rarely works out and I keep the part that sticks out short enough so that it is not a problem even if it does fall out from under the seat. It also makes it easy to get to and used with the battery tender.

Mounting the controller is a problem. On another bike, I had them velcroed to the riser tops. Ok, but not perfect. That was after I had used the pouch that came with the controller to hook on my jacket belt. If you have a handy place on your jacket that can accept a belt clip, First Gear has a pouch with a belt clip that fits your controller. On the Voyager, I am going to velcro them to my fairing bag flaps, but mine has a tether on it that I will secure just in case the velcro comes loose. My controllers are wireless (2 controllers with 2 dials each for gloves, jacket, pants and boot inserts), so they would go flying if they came off the fairing pouch.

#3 ·
Thanks!

I have the portable heat-troller unit, so it's not a drill-and-mount setup, just the velcro, and everything is wired together. I think I'm supposed to take the HT off when I get off the bike, so I'll try to mount it out of the way somewhere.

I figure in the morning I'll run the wires and install the battery connectors, see where that gets me, and go from there. I don't have a garage, and the bike only gets covered when we're expecting precipitation, so I'd like to protect the exposed stuff as much as possible. Too bad it's gonna be warm (60F) tomorrow!

I'll be sure and take pictures for a write-up on my web site, and when posted, I'll share it here.

-John

#4 ·
you can connect your thermostat wiring directly to bike battery positive (+) and negative (-) posts and have the wires run from bike battery to coming out from under the seat to around the left hand side of you, near your rear sitting position

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.