[REVIEW] Tour Master Coaster II Leather Jacket - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500L Nomad FI
Displacement/CC's: 1500cc
Color: Burgundy/silver
Garage
[REVIEW] Tour Master Coaster II Leather Jacket

Romans started us off with a review of a Tourmaster product, and I think we should have more reviews like it, especially for the newer riders overwhelmed with all of the gear selections (just like I was).

So then, let's get started, shall we?
[See thumbnail for photo]

Behold, the Tourmaster Coaster II Leather jacket (for simplicity's sake, "Coaster" henceforth).
MSRP: $240
I got it for $220, free shipping
On sale now at Motorcycle Superstore for $216, free shipping.

The Good
- The leather is nice and thick, advertised 1.2-1.3mm, almost twice as much as a River Road jacket I considered.
- The material is pliable right out of the box. Leather sometimes, like shoes, needs a "break in" period to become comfortable. This product did not.
- Well ventilated. When I first examined it, I didn't see how the ventilation flaps would allow any air to circulate. They're all on flat parts of material (chest, biceps, abdomen, back) so they wouldn't open up when in riding position. Somehow, they do, because unless it's 90+ degrees out, mine is zipped almost to my neck.
- Removable lining. Sometimes "sold separately", this is very nice when a cold front moves in... while you're at work... and you rode the bike that day. It's not as warm as winter gear, but waddya expect for nuthin?
- High quality zippers. Too often, a great product becomes useless when you can't zip it closed. All of the zippers are very well made, and logically covered.
- Interior pockets. One in the liner and two in the shell are very handy when running to the post office to drop off that late bill, or if you want a handy place to keep... pretty much anything smaller than 2"d x 4"t x 3" w (I keep a pack of smokes there, usually).
- Styling. I wanted a jacket that looked new, not a new jacket that looked like it'd been around for a couple decades. In addition, this would be perfect for someone who rides a cruiser in addition to a sport bike, as the design is pretty universal.
- Removable shoulder/back/elbow armor. If you don't think it's necessary, just take it out.

The Bad
- Cuffs aren't adjustable. Wind goes right up your arm (good ventilation!). You're stuck with what size they're made with (though there are zippers to aid in tucking gloves into sleves).
- Sized a BIT big. My chest is 41 1/2" around, and my 44" chest jacket fits perfectly. Just something to keep in mind when you're shopping.
- Wish it was a bit longer. It's at a good length when riding, but with my long torso, it looks a smidge funny when standing.
- Elbow armor too far up the arm. Maybe it's just because I'm gangly, but my elbow armor started in the lower third of my tricep. I took it out, but the back and shoulder armor fit fine.

Clearly, I'm a fan of this jacket. I think it was well worth the investment, seeing as I could have spent over $400 for something similar. I like the feel (and smell ) of leather, and the peace of mind knowing that it will protect me best in the case of a slide.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. Hope someone out there finds this review helpful when shopping for a jacket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tourmaster jacket.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	9986  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Very cool!

Hey, how hot can you comfortably ride in that? Leather obviously offers the best protection and that's a sharp looking jacket at that. I just wonder, even with the ventilation, just how hot it is?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500L Nomad FI
Displacement/CC's: 1500cc
Color: Burgundy/silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Very cool!

Hey, how hot can you comfortably ride in that? Leather obviously offers the best protection and that's a sharp looking jacket at that. I just wonder, even with the ventilation, just how hot it is?
On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the vents a 6. When I ride in 90+ degree heat, the vents alone don't cut it (I have a wide temperature "comfort zone"). However, if it's almost TOO hot out (never!), I unzip it a third or halfway. If you got the right size, it won't billow out making you look like a big marshmallow, but the front will open with the wind and provide adequate circulation.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't be afraid to ride with this in Texas in the summer, though I would have it partially unzipped during the day. With the strength of the zippers, I don't frear damage to them with the added wind resistence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode