Colorado Chaps - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Colorado Chaps

As my username implies, I prefer red to black for my riding gear for visibility reasons. So, googling around looking for red armored chaps, I found this outfit: www.coloradochaps.com
They custom ordered me some red ballistic nylon and built red chaps for my wife and me. I got summer ones with mesh backs and all-nylon winter ones, CE rated knee armor, leather pipe patches, reflective leg stripes, full length outer zippers... not cheap but I'm really happy with them.
Custom colors cost extra - for three pairs of red we had an upcharge of forty bucks because she had to custom order the fabric - but I bet she'd make them in a wide range of colors if her supplier carries the fabric. And if you just want a standard color (black, Brown I think) they're pretty reasonable.

Jeff

Vietnam Vet; Combat Infantryman's Badge; Purple Heart w/ Oak Leaf Cluster
Patriot Guard Rider

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Kuryakyn Passenger Floorboards
LeatherLyke Large Cruiser Case; Mustang Seat; Baron pullback risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 PM

Nice link- what'd you end up for a total. Just curious. Post up some pics, would like to the end product.

2006 1500 FI Anniversary
Cobra back rest/luggage rack
Mustang Pad
Saddleman bags
Homemade Lowers
VROC #27608
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 AM

I would also like to see a photo of your chaps. Thanks in advance.

'04 1500 Classic

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilburDink View Post
I would also like to see a photo of your chaps. Thanks in advance.
I'll have to get Mrs. Red to take some. I'll post them soon as I can.

Jeff

Patriot Guard Rider

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Pics

Here's a closeup from the front...

And a side view

And the whole red getup.

It's all about visibility. The side stripes are reflective. They also have leather pipe protection inside each leg. Zippers up the outseam almost to my hip bones.

This pair is mesh back. I have a pair that's nylon front and back for cold weather wear. They cost about $165.00 per pair for 3 pairs, 2 for me and one for Mrs. Red. That includes a $40.00 upcharge (total) for special order on the red ballistic nylon.

Every item is priced separately... the chaps are so much, the leather pipe patches are so much, the reflective stripe is so much, another so much for the knee armor, I think the mesh back cost extra... You can pretty much price out a pair by looking at their site at coloradochaps.com, unless you want a special order color.

I ordered them too long which makes them a hassle to zip. Not their fault. My other pair is getting shortened now; when I get them back I'll get these shortened. Another fifteen bucks a pair, but like I said, not their fault.

Jeff

Patriot Guard Rider

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 AM

Thank Jeff. Those are pretty cool. I'm gonna check out their site and might get a pair. Do you think they are cooler than leather chaps? I wear leather but once it hits about 80 or so it's really hot.

'04 1500 Classic
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Top Contributor

Red boots would look cool too!

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

rrr, it's a great idea to be mor visible but the reality of the beast is that people don't see you regardless of how Britely lit up you are. At best all they mite acknowledge is that they ran over something colorful. Butt you already know that you are invisible.

People do not see with thier eyes, they see with thier brains (many/most don't have much to start with) and what precious little they navigate thru life is consumed with electronic distractions and other activities. So really they are just rogue missiles with a penchant for errant behavior at the most inopportune moment.

People's basic navigation code consist of executing thier self agenda of where they want to be (and they'r late) and what THREATS mite impede that agenda. SIZE tops that list of threats. so if yor gonna get any notice and respect (rite of way), you have to project a sense of size and raise the threat level. Brandishing hot iron mite not be most PC or legal method, but it is tempting?
With everybody on cells and worse texting the greatest threat is no longer in front but from behind. Currently mc deaths from rear ends is top o list, many/most at stop lites. These self absorbed missile pilots.. er, ballast are running into the back of fully lit up fire trux, ambulance and squad cars.

I use to take dozens of kids white water rafting and would instruct them that the brite yellow floatation gear they wore was not so we could pluk you out the water was mor ez to find the bodies. Then pluk you out. Got their tention. Got yors? Ponchout

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 04-21-2012 at 08:02 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
rrr, it's a great idea to be mor visible but the reality of the beast is that people don't see you regardless of how Britely lit up you are. At best all they mite acknowledge is that they ran over something colorful. Butt you already know that you are invisible.

People do not see with thier eyes, they see with thier brains (many/most don't have much to start with) and what precious little they navigate thru life is consumed with electronic distractions and other activities. So really they are just rogue missiles with a penchant for errant behavior at the most inopportune moment.

People's basic navigation code consist of executing thier self agenda of where they want to be (and they'r late) and what THREATS mite impede that agenda. SIZE tops that list of threats. so if yor gonna get any notice and respect (rite of way), you have to project a sense of size and raise the threat level. Brandishing hot iron mite not be most PC or legal method, but it is tempting?
With everybody on cells and worse texting the greatest threat is no longer in front but from behind. Currently mc deaths from rear ends is top o list, many/most at stop lites. These self absorbed missile pilots.. er, ballast are running into the back of fully lit up fire trux, ambulance and squad cars.

I use to take dozens of kids white water rafting and would instruct them that the brite yellow floatation gear they wore was not so we could pluk you out the water was mor ez to find the bodies. Then pluk you out. Got their tention. Got yors? Ponchout
I can second that rear-end motion. Someone once gave me a piece of advice that made sense so I do it, when I come to a stop, I get the bike towards the right side of the road angled away. In the lane enough to discourage people sliding up next to me, but in such a way that if someone comes barreling up behind me I can get outta there. (or they have room to go around if they see me at the last second). I don't always angle it or anything like that, usually I line up with the right tire of the car or even the right mirror.

It paid off once for me. I was sitting at a stop light, all the sudden I hear SCREEEECH and look to my left and BAM, a black SUV rear ends the car in front of me. (I had managed to get out of the way, I was in neutral, I must have kicked it foward with my legs lol.) Teenage girl with a look of terror on her face and a cellphone in her right hand. She finished her text, put her phone in her pocket, then got it back out again, sent another text, then got out of her car. She was texting the whole time, even while giving her report to the cops.

It's an addiction for some people, and it's gonna get people killed.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
...With everybody on cells and worse texting the greatest threat is no longer in front but from behind. Currently mc deaths from rear ends is top o list, many/most at stop lites. These self absorbed missile pilots.. er, ballast are running into the back of fully lit up fire trux, ambulance and squad cars.

...Got yors? Ponchout
Roger that, Ponch, every word. My last two cage wrecks were sitting still, slammed from behind. Both times in full size American pickup trucks. Once sitting still behind a school bus (hard 2 see them busses, y'know. Moron's [email protected] lucky he hit me and not some school kid.) The other time I was third in line sitting at a stop light and a full grown man in a suit slammed into me. Said he was putting his seat belt on. When I regained consciousness I suggested he do that in the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I can second that rear-end motion. Someone once gave me a piece of advice that made sense so I do it, when I come to a stop, I get the bike towards the right side of the road angled away. In the lane enough to discourage people sliding up next to me, but in such a way that if someone comes barreling up behind me I can get outta there. (or they have room to go around if they see me at the last second). I don't always angle it or anything like that, usually I line up with the right tire of the car or even the right mirror.

It paid off once for me. I was sitting at a stop light, all the sudden I hear SCREEEECH and look to my left and BAM, a black SUV rear ends the car in front of me. (I had managed to get out of the way, I was in neutral, I must have kicked it foward with my legs lol.) Teenage girl with a look of terror on her face and a cellphone in her right hand. She finished her text, put her phone in her pocket, then got it back out again, sent another text, then got out of her car. She was texting the whole time, even while giving her report to the cops.

It's an addiction for some people, and it's gonna get people killed.
Get more people killed, that is.
That's a good idea and I'll start doing it. There's a place where I turn left off a 2-way highway on my way home, and people in cages have been killed there by rear-enders. If I've got traffic behind me I signal right, pull off onto the right shoulder, stop and wait, then make my move when it's clear. If they miss the signal there's a good chance they'll be too asleep to follow me onto the right shoulder, too.

All that said, I feel better in the red. Might not make a difference every time - hell, won't make a difference every time - but if one dimwit sees me all loud colored out there it's worth it all.

Jeff

Patriot Guard Rider

Last edited by RideInRed; 04-21-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode