Half Helmet Review - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Half Helmet Review

To all who have been interested is getting a new half helmet with drop down sunshield let me suggest you look at the new Bell Pit Boss. I have been fortunate enough to find (in DFW area), look at and try on all the different (I believe) brands out there. I've looked at the HJC IS-2, GMax GM55S, Scorpion EXO-100 & Vega XTV. The Bell Pit Boss I ended up purchasing was by far the most comfortable, smallest profile (no large mushroom head) and best fitting helmet I tried due to it's Speed Dial adjustment fit system. Also the drop down Sunshield is convenient and doesn't interfere with my sunglasses at all.
Give it a look before you purchase one because it is a valid contender.

'08 1600 Vulcan Classic
Black & Chrome
Memphis Shades Fats Windshield
LeatherLyke Traditional Saddlebags
Kuryakyn ISO "Flame" Grips
Kuryakyn "Flame" Brake Pedal
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
Irate "Flame" Chrome Radiator Grille
Cobra Fatty Highway Bars
Cobra Short Sissy Bar w/Chrome "Tribal" Backplate
Cobra Swept Passenger Floorboards
Baron "Flame" Chrome Reservoir Covers
Chrome "Flame" License Plate Cover
PhatRisers II "Flame"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I always thought the drop down shield were cool! I do recall seeing one at my dealership and they did look nice! Never tried one on (I prefer full face) but I do think they look better than most of the half shells out there. (I actually think a lot of those basic-DOT helmets look geekier than the full face ones )

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

I too just finished shopping for a half helmet. I wear prescription glasses and they don't fit snug on the face like most sunglasses do. Please note that all the drop down face shields hit my glasses and wouldn't even lower all the way down, except the HJC IS-2. It fits well and the shield has already saved me a few times at highway speeds from bugs and whatnot. If you wear glasses like I do, I recommend trying on all the different Mfrs helmets. I just found one that worked for me.

Richard G
Semper fi
2012 Vaquero
iPod Classic Kawasaki's cable, Passenger floorboards, Corbin seat & driver backrest, Kawasaki backrest & luggage rack, Kuryakyn highway pegs, Cee Baileys 14" windshield (winter use) RAM mount universal device(cell phone) & RAM drink holder. Cobra FI2000, TriTip Ovals, K&N Airfilter and Throttle mod.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM

I have an EXO 100 and really like it the flip down visor is especially nice when I forget my sunglasses. The fit works well for my fat melon and actually feels very comfortable. As with any other helmet everyone will be different as far as fit goes different helmets fit different heads better than others lot's of trial and error before you buy is the best recommendation.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM

I just spent the last two days going to every motorcycle shop I could think of in Edmonton, Alberta to look at half helmets.

I have to agree with the OP that the Bell Pit Boss was the most comfortable I tried on - the speed dial system really provides a snug fit and a streamlined look. Unfortunately they did not have the size I need in stock, so I will look at ordering online.

The Scorpion EXO-100 was definitely a comfortable helmet but on my head I look like Toad from the Mario Brothers game.

I do have a question though, which I've emailed Bell about : Does the Pit Boss come with a tinted drop down shield? The one I looked at had a clear shield... or, does anyone know if a shield from another Bell helmet model would fit the Pit Boss?

2009 Custom Special Edition
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW0378 View Post
I have an EXO 100 and really like it the flip down visor is especially nice when I forget my sunglasses. The fit works well for my fat melon and actually feels very comfortable. As with any other helmet everyone will be different as far as fit goes different helmets fit different heads better than others lot's of trial and error before you buy is the best recommendation.
In addition to my Scorpion full face I also have the EXO 100 and it works well with my fat square(block) head. I love the drop down visor....

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
In addition to my Scorpion full face I also have the EXO 100 and it works well with my fat square(block) head. I love the drop down visor....
I bought the EXO 100 today as well. I wear glasses and the visor didn't come near them. I purchased a THH T-386 3/4 helmet prior to it, and the only thing I really didn't like about that helmet was that it actually generated more wind noise then my half shell.

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." Stephen Dooley, Jr.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM

I have a AGV MIGLIA MODULAR, but for city ride i bought a HJC FS-3 (Dot & Snell certification), both are XL but the HJC is thighten than AGV.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greran View Post
I do have a question though, which I've emailed Bell about : Does the Pit Boss come with a tinted drop down shield? The one I looked at had a clear shield... or, does anyone know if a shield from another Bell helmet model would fit the Pit Boss?
The pit boss comes stock with a clear shield. for about $10 they offer a tinted shield...which I did purchase but not used yet. I like the helmet a lot.

2011 Kawasaki Vaquero

1989 Yamaha FJ1200
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Just a little info for some of you who don't like the ol' mushroom head look, you might want to check out an Outlaw AX40115 helmet.
I just recently bought a Polo Jockey by Outlaw (AX40115), size large from member "essential-gear" on ebay. Fit comfortably. Infact "snug" just as the sizing chart stated for my noggin size, and wow! no 'shroom head! !! The wife tried it on and immediately bought a size small, the outlaw size small is the same as her 2xs Bell shorty she has to were a bandana in either one because her head is so small (then why is she 100 X's smarter than me ). The Outlaw sizing chart is the closest I have ever found. Here's a pic of the wife's. I doubt anyone wants to see my "fugly-mug" unless it was in a tinted full face
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helmet1.JPG
Views:	1006
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	11755  

Last edited by FRISCO67; 06-16-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode