Need Recommedations - Sunglasses or Goggles? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Need Recommedations - Sunglasses or Goggles?

Hey All

I recently just converted to the cruiser world, and I have a question. I am going to be using a German style helmet, and I am curious to know which would go best with that helmet...sunglasses or goggles?

I honestly would like a pair of aviator sunglasses, but then with those, what do I do at night because I sure can't where them at night.

On the flip side, I am little weary of goggles with a German style helmet...I feel like I'd look like a goof. But I know a lot of goggles come with multiple lenses for riding conditions, i.e. sunny, overcast, and night.

Which do you guys wear and prefer?

2003 Vulcan 800 Classic =>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Yamaha R6 => SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Top Contributor

Hi greenc51,

Im not recomending these its just what I wear, I have a pair of orange/brown lens shooting glasses for day use, and a pair of yellow lens shooting glasses for night time

both of these I got from a sporting store

good luck
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 AM

For me sunglasses did not work, wind and dirt seems to get into my eyes. I wear googles, have a pair for daytime and night time. Keep the clear night time ones in the glove box in case I'm out late. The google were less than $20 each so you might want to just try and see how you like them. I really don't care if I look like a goof, eye protection is the most important thing. Good luck with your decision.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Top Contributor

I found a cheap pair of sunglasses I like and you can get them in different shades and also clear for night riding.The nice thing is if you drop em , loose em , step on em there only 10.00. There comfortable and cheap , safety rated and UV protection. I got them at J&P but I'm sure they can be found lot's of places.
I personally have trouble with the ones that have the foam , my eyelashes contact the foam and it just bugs me.

http://www.globalvision.us/products/...es/ridersd.php

95 800A
Memphis shades Demon
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
I would go with sunglasses, but not regular sunglasses. Oakley, and other companies make sunglasses for the military that are built to protect the eyes from blast debris. They will hold up to hitting a wasp, a stick, or a rock from a tire whereas regular sunglasses may shatter. I believe motorcycle sunglasses are also impact resistant, although they are not designed to protect against a bomb blast. IMO, if they won't protect the eyes from road hazards, then there isn't anypoint in wearing them.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Just don't do what I do. See a cool pair of goggles at the dealership that looked really comfortable and buy them... then realize you wear a full face helmet and Goggles don't work with full face helmets LOL

I will say, the goggles were more comfortable, until I realized there's no way to make them work with my helmet The ones I have have air vents, but have a foam 'gasket' that goes around your eye socket keeping dirt and bugs out.

I'll second the motion to good quality glasses. I wear regular aviator sunglasses but that's with my full face faceshield down over it (though usually cracked open in the summer for ventilation). A couple of times I've been smacked in the face by who-knows-what, hard enough that it's not likely my glasses would have held up, and if I wasn't wearing eye protection.... I'd have really been hurtin'! Heck, even popping my visor open for a second to scratch my nose or something I've been smacked with dust. So yeah, definitely something that's sturdy and covers your eyes completely and will protect you from the elements.

If it were me, probably a pair of clear safety glasses for the evening and a pair of safety sunglasses for the daytime, in other words- Desert Angels suggestion!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Sunglasses until I strip my gurls top off (remove the batwing), then the goggles.

Houston Texas
VROC #34478
TexasVROC
VBA #01936

2010 Nomad
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Megatron

I use sunglasses with interchangable lenses made for motorcycling. They have foam padding that fits close to the face preventing debris and wind from getting to my eyes. I've tried different brands until I found a pair that's comfy. Remember to consider the length and shape of the earpieces. If they're too long or don't curve down toward the back they can interfere with your helmet (I'm a half helmet guy). Also some tend to be real tight on the head (I'm also a fat head).

2008 Vulcan Classic 1500FI
Memphis Shades Windshield
Phat II Risers
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Ultimate Driver's Seat w/Backrest
Painted side covers to match rest of bike
Luggage rack in place of passenger seat.
Viking Saddlebags
Wide Whitewalls
Laydown License Plate Bracket
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Garage
I use Venture II safety glasses. They wrap around just right, they are available in multiple configurations, some of our military folks use them in the sandbox, they are impact resistant, and they are cheap. I buy them a dozen at a time and keep a pair everywhere (car, truck, motorcycle, garage,...)

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ven2safglas.html

2011 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Top bag guards
MP3 adapter
Rear speakers
Mirror Extender/Risers
Trunk Rack
Dunlop E3 160/80HB-16
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
Engine guards
Memphis Shades windscreen

Last edited by GimpyLeg; 03-26-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: fingers can't spell....
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyLeg View Post
I use Venture II safety glasses. They wrap around just right, they are available in multiple configurations, some of our military folks use them in the sandbox, they are impact resistant, and they are cheap. I buy them a dozen at a time and keep a pair everywhere (car, truck, motorcycle, garage,...)

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ven2safglas.html

thanks for the link I see my orange/brown lens there I was paying 9.00
looks like i'll be paying 3.80 now on thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode