Boot's - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Boot's

What kind of boot's do you wear to ride ? I don't have any motorcycle specific boots and what I do have is uncomfortable so I've been looking around for some thing different , any suggestions ?

95 800A
Memphis shades Demon
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I wear Carolina Linesmen Boots with a 10" upper. They're a good solid boot with great ankle support. I've been wearing them for 4 years and they show no signs of wearing out. Some folks don't like the idea of lace-ups while riding, but I can't wear slip-ons of any type. Combine a weak ankle with plantar fasciitis makes finding boots that don't cause pain a challenge.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Toforo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsVn900 View Post
......Some folks don't like the idea of lace-ups while riding, but I can't wear slip-ons of any type. Combine a weak ankle with plantar fasciitis makes finding boots that don't cause pain a challenge.
Now see, for me - I have the plantar's - as well as a HUGE arch and NO ANKLE support so I have to wear some pretty "severe" orthodics in all my footwear ( - and yes, it was my original medical retirement so the VA provides.... thank God) -

"Laced" makes it difficult for me due to the shape of my foot, so I wear (and prefer) a side-zipper on a boot with a pretty snug "upper" to help keep my ankles supported.

Besides that - a really good "composite" sole on the boot to reduce wear and if and when I find a pair that meets/exceeds all my requirements, I keep a spare-pair in the closet 'cuz they're not easy to find!

ex-2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
NOW/NEW 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
Medically Retired USN
VFW Life Member
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Old Sailors ROCK ! ! !

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Top Contributor

I wear these... ( I think this is the right pic... )

great support and super easy side access zipper on both sides .... and you can lace it up tight or loose and then never have to lace it again !!

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/117-...7&zmap=117-262

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallannie View Post

great support and super easy side access zipper on both sides .... and you can lace it up tight or loose and then never have to lace it again !!

Thats what I'm looking for easy on , easy off ! I'll be by J&P soon so I can try some on , thats the next hurdle , comfortable fit. I believe they might even be on sale right now.

95 800A
Memphis shades Demon
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Here's a copy of a post I made somewhere else a while back about boots:

Belleville makes a lot of good boots. I have several different styles for work-330 ST, 330 Desert ST, 340, and 550, but the 330ST in chocolate brown is my favorite for riding. I also have some Bates and Danners but I always come back to Bellevilles. They aren't cheap but I abuse boots and the Bellevilles last a while. I've never worn out a set of brown 330s but my last set of 330 Deserts took daily abuse for three years, including six months in Iraq and six months in Afghanistan before a hole developed at the bottom of the tongue near the laces.

I wanted to add that yes these boots typically have really long laces but I just tuck the extra into the top of the boot and haven't had a lace come loose yet. They aren't waterproof, though. I have some Danners that are more water resistant but can still get water-logged and soak through but they have a somewhat unconventional look to them, unlike the 330s.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Megatron

I wear boots made by Bates. They're made for military/law enforcement. They're very lightweight, waterproof, made of leather/fabric/rubber, breathable, lace up the front with a zipper on the side for easy on/off. They have great arch/ankle support.
They were recommended to me by a police officer who wears them every day for work. He says they always last him at least 2 years despite walking a beat several days a week. Mine are 3 years old and with only a bit of polish a couple times a season they still look brand new. I am very picky about the shoes I buy because if I don't have good support my feel kill me.
Check your local army/navy store or uniform supply house to try some on. You won't be sorry. Reasonably priced too at about $120.00 when I bought mine.
When/If these boots ever wear out, I'm buying the same boots again.

2008 Vulcan Classic 1500FI
Memphis Shades Windshield
Phat II Risers
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Ultimate Driver's Seat w/Backrest
Painted side covers to match rest of bike
Luggage rack in place of passenger seat.
Viking Saddlebags
Wide Whitewalls
Laydown License Plate Bracket
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
V2K Rogue Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallannie View Post

That is going to be my next boots! I currently have the MMCC Road Captain boots and I love them because they are the most comfortable shoes I have. They only zip on one side but that sure makes it easier to put on and take off. Two zippers should be even better.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I would LOVE to have a pair of side zipper boots. The laces are getting annoying.

Here are my requirements for boots:

1) Built out of thick and sturdy leather that can handle a slide, preferably steel toe (ever 'kick' something on the highway? I did a while back, truck shredded it's tire around a corner ALL OVER THE PLACE, I got the bike in between the shards no problem but forgot I was cruising with my feet bowed out. YOWZA when I nailed a piece of rubber at 70 mph on my toe. Thankfully, my boots have injection molded plastic toes)

2) Well above the ankle. Various pics and stories of crashes I've seen and stories I've heard involve short-length boots or tennis shoes flying off, so they need to stay on.

3) Thick, oil resistant sole with thick 'off road' style treads. Comes in handy when your stepping into mud or stopping on a bunch of gravel or something, I like to have lots of grip in my boots.

4) Some degree of waterproofing. Nothing is more miserable than wet feet. If I get caught in the rain, I want my feet to be dry. Now, my boots lets some water in at the tongue, but the only time that's caused my feet to get wet is when I've waded through water. Hard rains I don't get much water.

5) Laces must be secured. I like those velcro tabs that go over the laces. That way they don't get caught on the shifter or brake pedal.

I run with Vega touring boots. I like them, very comfortable to ride in, but not the most comfortable to walk around in. Sturdy though, and not too expensive. I'd prefer a zip side.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:38 PM

I wear a pair of red wing boots... they are pretty tall, waterproofed, and cost $160. Work paid for $100 of it.

2007 Ninja 650R traded in and missed
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic current Kawi
900cc=55 cubic inches

Is there a Gadget page for us 900 owners???

Vulcan 900 "oily air filter" fix

Get 3-4 feet of tranny line from parts store that's the same ID as the stock vent line. Attach to jug, route hose up to bottom of fuel tank around wires and back down to airbox, cut off excess (leave a little slack so wires are NOT under tension) and attach to airbox. Reinstall everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode