Summer Jacket - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Summer Jacket

Since Spring is here and in a few weeks it will be Summer, at least in Texas, has anybody found a jacket they like in summer time down here in the south?

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM

Garage
I got a TourMaster Mesh jacket last year and I love it! I know NY is not Texas, but the mesh will keep you cool. It also has a wind/water proof liner as well as another liner for wormth for those chilly nights. Just my 2 cents.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Garage
I live in Southeast Texas and I use an X-Element Mesh Jacket. It is feels like a T shirt with armour at speed and is barely noticable when stopped at a light.

I would think any real mesh jacket should do just fine down here.

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Top Contributor

"I would think any real mesh jacket should do just fine down here."

+1

I'm not "down there" but I picked up a Fieldsheer mesh jacket from motorcycle superstore a while back for cheap and it does great and is armoured in the back, shoulders and elbows.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with a removable rain liner and removeable padding. I really like it, and I usually wear it even in the summer and it's not bad, but any jacket inhibits air flow and when it's 100+ outside they're not comfortable. However, they're a lot more comfortable than road rash.

Dale

2010 Vulcan Voyager /Ooops - I totaled it!/
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:48 PM

I'll chime in and agree that any mesh jacket from a reputable gear company should work for you, protection and comfort wise.

I have a Vega mesh jacket with CE armor a zip in cool weather liner and a rain jacket that goes over and is stored in a pocket built in the back of the jacket. As long as you are moving at some speed it is comfortably cool. I really put it to the test last summer when I rode on several days that were in the 110 degree range here in PA (So you can add in the humidity!).
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I've got a fieldsheer Corsair jacket that I'm impressed with, and it's not even mesh! It's nice and toasty at a stop though or at constant low speeds.

I'll second the motion of a quality mesh jacket with some decent armor.

Oh, also, I moved this thread. We have a new section for Riding Gear that y'all might not have noticed yet, that's where these should go from now on (easier to navigate that way, and a good source for info!)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I've had a Scorpion Cool Rod for 4 years. Mesh, removable armor, very durable, and they go for right around $140, good bang for your buck.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the abrasion resistance is for some of these mesh jackets? I've been looking at getting one. My Fieldsheer jacket is fine except at a stop, but the problem I have is in 95+ weather, if I get stuck in traffic for a while or something, it takes forever to cool off. So I would like something a bit cooler for those brutal days. But I don't wanna give up alot of protection (otherwise I'd just wear a T-shirt and armor or something)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the abrasion resistance is for some of these mesh jackets? I've been looking at getting one. My Fieldsheer jacket is fine except at a stop, but the problem I have is in 95+ weather, if I get stuck in traffic for a while or something, it takes forever to cool off. So I would like something a bit cooler for those brutal days. But I don't wanna give up alot of protection (otherwise I'd just wear a T-shirt and armor or something)
I really doubt that the one I wear will provide alot of abrasion resistance compared to a good leather jacket to be honest. That being said, I can't wear a leather jacket in Southeast Texas during the summer lol. It's simply too hot and humid so the choices are wear nothing, wear mesh, or don't ride at all. I choose mesh every time.

As to the melting point of the material, the true abrasion protection, etc.etc Speaking as a Paramedic supervisor I have run hundreds of motorcycle accidents. Two things usually stick out in my mind on these scenes: 1. He would still be alive if he simply had a helmet on and 2. Good thing he had a jacket on Even the nylon mesh material is better protection than straight skin on pavement my friends. And sometimes, it is the only edge that you will need to determine if you walk away or have to roll away in an ambulance or hearse.

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode