post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
[REVIEW] Tourmaster Overpants

Hey all,

Okay so I figured I'd get the party started over here. I think this is going to be a great section for gear reviews, and all those questions that keep popping up, especially regarding all of the helmets that are out there.

So I'll start with my favorite piece of gear I wear, my tourmaster Overpants.

MSRP: $129.99 (I bought them on sale for under $100)

The Good:

I really love these pants. They're super comfortable, light, they're made out of a fairly new material called Carbolex that provides some of the strongest textile gear out there while remaining light and comfortable. They are 600 Denier in density with impact panels above 1600 Denier, that puts it towards the top in terms of protection for textiles, but it isn't quite to the level of protection as leather (But, they are comfortable to wear even in 100 degree temps).

They have huge vents in the thigh areas that blow air in, when it's hot out I like to just wear a pair of shorts underneath, and it feels like I'm only wearing shorts when the vents are open. It's great!

There is armor in the knees and on the hips. It's pretty comfortable, but does get a little annoying when walking around. When riding you don't notice it's there. The nice thing is, these are pants with zippers all the way along the sides and are designed to go over clothes, so it's easy to take them off and roll them up in a saddlebag.

It has a phospholite reflective material along the seams. It's EXTREMELY bright whenever a light is shining on it. I light up like a Christmas tree at night. Not sure if that'll help the cagers see me or not... but it can't hurt right?

Finally- rainproof. That's where, I think, they really shine. I got caught in a MASSIVE hail-producing thunderstorm on Thursday. The inside of my leather 'waterproof' boots were soaked, the inside of my helmet was soaked from water splashing up inside, and even my 'waterproof' jacket rain liner had soaked through. But my legs were bone dry, with the exception of a small splotch of water on my thighs because when the rain started, my vents were open. My cellphone was also in my zipped-up overpants pocket, which remained dry. I dunno how these things are so breathable but so waterproof, but they are excellent in that regard.

Oh, and speaking of Jacket, they also have a zipper included that zips to any 8" zipper jacket, including my Fieldsheer Corsair jacket.

The Bad:

The side zippers for putting them on and off over boots have plastic flaps, that I suppose help with the excellent rain-proofing. However, the zippers are small and get caught up in this plastic, it can be very annoying. Also, although I have yet to have any problems, those side zippers don't seem like they are of the best quality. Not bad, but not what I'd expect for $130 either.

In cold weather, they aren't the best. They don't tighten very much over your boots so you need to stuff your jeans into your boots to keep the wind from getting into your legs. They don't come with a liner and they don't block the cold very well. They do, however, provide good protection from the rain, meaning you can wear nice warm fleece pants or something underneath, and wear those on the outside to keep everything dry.

They sit up over the stomach. This is part of the protective aspect and ensures the jacket and pants overlap so in the event of a crash, you don't suddenly have a large, painful gap between your pants and jacket. But, fair warning, they fit like your great grandmas stretchy pants. You've gotta be pretty cool to pull them off.

Well there ya go! Figured I'd pass that along. Good set of pants, I'm a fan! I'll keep wearing them until I wear them out, and I'll probably replace them with the same thing when/if that happens.

So far, they have about 5,000 miles on them. No signs of wear or damage yet!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM

Good Info, Thanks.

Houston Texas
VROC #34478
TexasVROC
VBA #01936

2010 Nomad
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the info! I've been thinking of getting some overpants. I wear a Tourmaster jacket for riding, but it's still pretty new so I don't know if I have the experience to review it yet. I'll definitely look into those pants, though.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the review.

'04 1500 Classic
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Thanks for the info! I've been thinking of getting some overpants. I wear a Tourmaster jacket for riding, but it's still pretty new so I don't know if I have the experience to review it yet. I'll definitely look into those pants, though.
I love 'em. And they'll zip right on to your jacket which keeps it from riding up or down and offers another level of protection.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Good review thanks for posting
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 PM

Good review, thank you.

2009 Vulcan 900 LT
Light bar (35W H3 bulbs)
Crash Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page