Major Failure With Mutazu Trunk - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Major Failure With Mutazu Trunk

Just added a Mutazu Harley style trunk to the Vulcan, took a 100 mile trip today and as I was almost home, a driver motioned to the back of my bike. Pulled over and the backrest had come off on one end and pulled the middle bolts with the plastic out and was hanging on the last two bolts. As I opened the lid the lock disintegrated and fell out. The attachments for the backrest are sketchy at best. A large rubber cylinder that the head of 2 bolts attach to. Very loose in my opinion. Poor engineering. The top got scratched up as well. Sucks as will be heading out on a 1000 miler trip soon. I have contacted Mutazu and will post their reply. Just need the top with key and backrest, though may think twice about mounting it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter02 View Post
Just added a Mutazu Harley style trunk to the Vulcan, took a 100 mile trip today and as I was almost home, a driver motioned to the back of my bike. Pulled over and the backrest had come off on one end and pulled the middle bolts with the plastic out and was hanging on the last two bolts. As I opened the lid the lock disintegrated and fell out. The attachments for the backrest are sketchy at best. A large rubber cylinder that the head of 2 bolts attach to. Very loose in my opinion. Poor engineering. The top got scratched up as well. Sucks as will be heading out on a 1000 miler trip soon. I have contacted Mutazu and will post their reply. Just need the top with key and backrest, though may think twice about mounting it again.
What caused this,weight?Vibration,Poorly made?curious
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:10 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
I had one on my last bike. Had to replace or rework all the hardware/fasteners except the lock. After that it was just barely worth the cost, and no where near the quality of any OE, GIVI or Shad topcase.

I wish you good luck.

I contacted them asking if the hinge/latch/lock kit they sell for Harley Tour Packs would fit their Tour Pack. Their answer... I don't know but if it doesn't fit you can return it. No Thanks!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

As far as I can tell poor workmanship. The backrest is very cheaply made and came apart. We were on the e-way mostly so the wind must have caught it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Update. The company is sending me a top and backrest. Lock too but I already upgrade it on the old one. Not going to arrive before my trip, but kudo's to Mutazu for stepping up. As for the quality, it's not OEM but then it doesn't cost as much either. OEM-$1600 Mutazu-$340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode