Prepare for the unexpected - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 03 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Red
Prepare for the unexpected

I couldn't think of a better place to put this, so here goes. The best safety advice I could give is to prepare for the unexpected. People are so wrapped up in themselves that they are not paying attention to their surroundings. Even worse, it seems some people have the attitude "the bike will be worse off that I will so they will do what they have to in order to avoid me." I reached this conclusion after about a dozen near misses with people that either made eye contact with me, then cut me off anyway, or passed me, knew I was there, then cut me off almost clipping me in the process. It pisses me off when people just have no regard for other people's lives.

My buddy was in a nasty hit and run in October that he didnt walk away from, and the azzhole left him on the side of the road to die, 200 yards from his house. He wasn't wearing a helmet, and his face bounced off the curb, hit a rock, and landed in a tree. His head was split open, he completely lost his nose, upper lip, most of his teeth, has damage to his palate and gums, bit off the tip of his tongue, had a broken jaw and leg, shattered wrist, 2 collapsed lungs and a blocked airway. If they found him a couple of minutes later we would have been burrying him. They had to put 7 steel plates in hus head, and are currently trying to rebuild his nose. He has been through about 10 surgeries so far, and has quite a few to go, and is not out of the woods yet as he is having kidney issues due to the amount of meds he has been on. They haven't found the other driver even though they had footage of the impact due to someone's security camera. Im sure they aren't even looking anymore. Granted, there were things my buddy could have done differently, but what kind of person are you to leave someone to die on the side of the road?

People just don't care about us guys on bikes, and the burden falls on us to protect ourselves. Please be safe out there!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:33 PM

This is a very sad story and I hope your friend pulls through. The hit and run driver is a callous person, there can be no argument about this fact. He will have to live with himself for what he has done but sadly, for some people, this is not a problem.

When something like this happens it affects the lives of so many people aside from the victim and the criminal. There are many people that are not fit to be on the road, be it motorists, motorcyclists, truck drivers, cyclists or whatever. Fortunately there are also a lot of competent and capable road users out there.

I like to think that there are more good ones than bad ones.

'There for the grace of God go I'

"It begins here for me on this road. How the whole mess happened I don't know, but I know it couldn't happen again in a million years."

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Kawasaki Vulcan EN500A2, 1991 (California Spec.)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Very sad and unfortunately Happens more than u would think,4 deaths so far this year in syr ny
Faulty,,,couldn't say it better myself,God bless

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Are hearts and prayers go out to your friend and all of the folks involved in a accident.the hit and run just add insult to injury.
Be safe everyone

2007 VN 900LT
Ebony Black & Galaxy Silver

Highway bars w/pegs
Saddleman studded seat
Cobra 2 into 1 HP Pro w/peashooter tip
Luggage rack
Home brewed aux. brake light
Home brewed Leather Lowers
Highway bar Chaps
Cobra FI2000 Tri-pot
Redneck air box/K&N filter
Headlight modulator
Other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode