Airhawk 2 Review - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Airhawk 2 Review

Like many of you, I love my Vulcan 900, but find the stock seat difficult on a long ride. I have been riding it for about 1 year and 8500 miles, my first bike after a 43 year hiatus. Last year I went on a 3 day, 650 mile ride. By the middle of the second day my butt was burning, and I didn't recover for a week.

I took my longest ride ever from June 26 - June 29 of this year, leaving Friday morning from south of Port Huron and going "around the mitten" of Michigan's lower peninsula, 1122 miles. 3 days before we departed I got my Father's day gift, $100 credit at a local motorcycle shop. I gave them a call and asked if they could get me an Airhawk-2 seat by Thursday.

He called me a few minutes later, saying he had one ordered, it would be here on time, and he would meet the Amazon prices I had given him (doesn't hurt to ask). Cool.

I picked up the seat Thursday afternoon. Installed and roughly adjusted it, then went in to finish packing for our early departure. I adjusted it 3 times in the first 30 miles the next morning, going from too much air and a disconnected from the bike feel, to much less air and a comfortable ride.

In the middle of the second day (around 400 miles from the start) I began to feel the familiar buttock burn. At the first stop I discovered that my hip bones were still resting on the stock seat. I added a tiny puff of air and immediately felt better.

The rest of the ride was spectacular. Great weather, great roads, great friends, and NO BUTT PAIN. The morning after arriving home I got out of bed, and was surprised to notice I could hardly tell I had done over 1100 miles in 4 days. What a treat.

So, the Airhawk 2 is build to the same design as the original Airhawk, but with cheaper materials. Great for a relatively inexpensive experiment at relieving the butt burn. In my case, it passed with flying colors. For local rides I will leave it on a hook in the garage. For longer rides I will spend 2 minutes and install it. When it wears out I will replace it with the standard model. For me, it was money very well spent.

As always, YMMV.

Ride safe.

None of us is as smart as all of us

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Top Contributor

Air hawk is awesome. Doesn't look great but works like a mother for the coin.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Awesome!

I used the Airhawk on the stock seat too and boy does it work when you get it dialed in! I use a Mustang seat now, but the Airhawk sure is a nice go-between.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:44 AM

I have one of the original Air Hawk seat cushions. Worth every penny.

2008 FLSTF
2010 GL1800 Gold Wing
2014 Vulcan Nomad 1700
2014 Versys KLE650
2015 FLSTC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 03:10 AM

Garage
Wife and I just picked up 2 of the Air Hawk 2s and the difference is trully amazing

HalfBreed

03 1600 Classic
Highway Bar / with foot pegs
Cobra Speedster Slash/down Motorcycle Exhaust
Mustang 2up seat w/ driver & passenger Backrest
Windshield
New Viking Hard Leather Saddle Bags
Cobra Fi2000R Digital Fuel Processor
K&N Air Cleaner
Driver & Passenger floorboards
Kuryakyn ISO-Grips
Baron Bullet Tachometer 1" Black Face