What gear do you wear and why? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

What gear do you wear and why?

I started riding again about two years ago after riding a couple years back in the late 70's. I've learned and thought a lot about gear over the last couple years. Most seem to agree the reasons for wearing gear are, 1) protection, 2) comfort from the elements. I guess for some it can "look cool" also. Anyway, I've had a really hard time deciding what gear to wear with a few false starts. The issue for me is to balance cost, comfort, and level of protection. Here's what I use now and why. I'd be curious to know what you other folks use.

Fullface modular GMAX helmet - need modular to get it on over glasses
Olympia full gauntlet gloves - heavier than wrist length but more protection
Tour Master Response WP boots - low rise, comfortable, may get full height
Olympia Renegade mesh jacket - cool, reasonable armor, good quality
Slider Kevlar jeans - minimal lower protection
Dianese knee guards under pants - reasonable knee/shin protection
Forcefield chest guard - hope to avoid cracked ribs, etc.

Most of this stuff I got right off but added the knee guards and chest protector recently. Also on order is Klim riding shorts for some minimal hip/tail bone protection. I've thought seriously about an Areostich Roadcrafter with full armor. Even visited their store in Duluth, MN last year while on a trip. They are bulky and wasn't ready to spend that much but I may yet go that route. But, it would probably provide better overall protection and would be faster on and off. It would likely be hotter also.

What works for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Top Contributor

AFX full face helmt FX-90. Can be obtained for +-75 bucks and fits my head well.

Joe Rocket Blaster 4.0 perforated leather jacket. Purchased from Dennis Kirk on closeout for $170.

Joe Rocket Armored Leather/Mesh Gloves.

Draggin jeans. Went to Hickory NC and got them at the shop where they have 2nds with MINOR flaws. Got them for $60 a pair instead of the $120. I also have a pair of the Joe Rocket version I got on closeout from Dennis Kirk.

Georgia work Boots, Logger Style.

I am wanting to look in to some armored over pants, just not got to it yet.

My decisions are usually based on a cost/protection judgment on my behalf. As you can tell I try my best to get my stuff and cheap as possible. I keep an eye on closeout section of Dennis Kirk/Motorcycle Super Store/Revzilla and other type places and jump on a deal when I can.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Full Face HJC CL-16 helmet

One of a couple of TourMaster jackets, all textile. Mesh through thicker materials, with various under layers, depending on weather.

Armored Tourmaster Overpants; which are just great. Slip over my jeans or shorts or whatever I'm wearing (meaning I can wear whatever I want without concerns about whether it'll 'work' on the bike, like shorts), then slip off and rolls into a saddlebag.

Zip-up milwaukee motorcycle boots with bolt-on soles. I have found that no boots are as waterproof as zip-ons and I prefer stiff boots when riding; which aren't great for walking about. Zip-up boots are so nice on that front too; easy off to throw a pair of sandals or tennis shoes on when at the destination. I have never liked riding in anything less than good motorcycle boots; the traction, ankle support (and of course, protection) are important to me.

Various gloves, weather dependent. Don't go anywhere without my thick leather, deer-skin lined gloves. Always in a saddlebag along with rain liners. Work well in heavy rain.

Oh, and in the winter, a scarf my wife made me that is just great when it's super cold

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 06:34 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

What gear do you wear and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
What works for you?
mostly 3rd gear for canyon carving.. and 5th or 6th gear, depending, for open road work. poncho

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
................I'd be curious to know what you other folks use.....................
....What works for you?
What works for me the last 45 or so years is: Half helmet when required by law, Baseball cap otherwise & always with a nice pair of sunglasses. Nice cotton tee shirt, Levi jeans if its cool jean shorts if its hot, good pair of tennis shoes. You asked.....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmConverted View Post
What works for me the last 45 or so years is: Half helmet when required by law, Baseball cap otherwise & always with a nice pair of sunglasses. Nice cotton tee shirt, Levi jeans if its cool jean shorts if its hot, good pair of tennis shoes. You asked.....
I have not been riding for 45 years but I am the same way. The only reason I wear my textile jacket is for warmth, as soon as it warms up it goes in the saddle bag.

'06 1600 Classic
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 AM
BOTM Winner
February 2015

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: black
I wear Tour Master Mesh Jacket and pants. Great stuff. Removable liners for all sorts of weather. Bell helmets, Qualifier and a Rogue and water proof, padded sneakers made for riding, can't remember the name. MACNA waterproof gloves or my old leather ones

2013 Vulcan 900 Custom
1985 Honda XL600R
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750 (sold)
1989 CBR 600 Hurricane (sold)
1982 Honda CB900F (sold) My first love!
1986 Honda 250r three-wheeler (sold)
1985 Honda CR80 (sold)
1981 Yamaha DT175 (sold)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:55 PM

LOL ponch I thought the same thing opening the post!

I have a balanced perspective on gear. All skin covered with some resilient fabric such as leather (although sometimes khakis are worn to work). Head covered with a visored open face helmet.

Never shorts, jacketless, helmetless, or flip flops.

Pipes are hot and concrete is hard, but I live within reason and do not gear up for 10 minutes for my 10 minute ride to work. Some folks only ride on the weekends/with groups/for 1000s of miles/etc. so there are a million answers to this question.

Best gear is an experienced, prepared rider and a road free of cagers! Ride safe all!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Yeah I don't care what anyone does, but shorts on a bike sounds like a recipe for a leg burn. At least with my luck!

It's funny. To keep in shape I ride a road bicycle. Around those circles, road rash is just a fact of life. It's one thing to be a hipster on a fixie but even blue jeans, et al are no bueno on a bonafide road bike ride because it'll restrict movement and airflow, your muscles will overheat and you'll sweat even more. So I wear lycra shorts and a lycra jersey, and a dense foam helmet with lots of vents, plus cycling shoes. Yes, I know that's not super attractive But it wicks moisture, doesn't restrict movement, etc. And will do exactly jack squat against pavement. Among those circles, road rash isn't about prevention it's about treatment

The average motorcycle accident occurs at 21mph; which coincides with my average speed on my 15 mile loop that I do every day. Dropping down to 13-14mph on the hills and getting up to 40+ downhill. And trust me, the exact same issues (cars pulling out, turning left, etc.) are issues on Bicycles as well, times 10. Because you also have cars passing too closely, and the issue of stop signs. Where I ride I rarely see other cars, but there's one intersection. Don't know that I've ever had a car properly yield. In other words, if a car is coming, I just wait. Because even if I have the right of way and start going through the intersection, they are just gonna go through it anyway. Bicycles are more invisible than motorcycles.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Bicycles are more invisible than motorcycles.
I hear ya. I bicycle also and fully agree. In fact, just last night I was telling my wife (who is waiting for my motorcycle phase to end... HA!) that I'm much more likely to get injured on my bicycle for all the reasons you pointed out. I ride county roads mostly, some with shoulders, some not. Most folks are careful and go around but a few just whiz by. I use a mirror to try and watch for trouble and occasionally have to jump off the road but one day some idiot texting may get me. I wear the same gear you mentioned also but have thought about looking for some knee and elbow pads for biking. I have a crossover bike so never get much over 20 mph but sometimes near 30 on a down hill. Most of the time I brake and slow down just for safety reasons. Stay safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode