Why I Wear A Helmet - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Color: Black/Gray
Garage
Why I Wear A Helmet

I am not going to turn this into a debate on whether you should or should not wear a helmet. That is your personal choice and I respect that. Just know that I do wear a helmet 99% of the time I am on a motorcycle.

I had a spill on Tuesday. Hit some loose stone in a tight curve that I did not see until it was too late. I rode the bike home, but spent the night in the er because my left ankle swelled up to the size of a soft ball and my head was a bit fuzzy. The Drs thanked me for wearing a helmet and said it would have been much worse without it.
My helmet after:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150502_224133.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	113161

Even though this was a very small accident at low speed, I feel it could have been a lot worse without a helmet.
Damage to bike:

Name:	IMG_20150429_172410086_HDR.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	113169

Name:	IMG_20150429_172417749_HDR.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	113177

Name:	IMG_20150429_172435784_HDR.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	113185

Name:	IMG_20150430_204058074.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	113193
Plus the left saddle bag is pretty beat up, but at least it protected the rear fender from any damage.

Now just to wait for my ankle to heal, order and install parts, and get back to riding.

2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Ivan's ECU ~ Kuryakyn Long Horn Highway Pegs ~ Chucksters Risers ~ Grasshopper Backrest ~ Dual Horns ~ 34024-1330 Kickstand ~ Kawi Gel Front Seat

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Traded
2002 Honda CB250 Nighthawk - Sold after 15k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Glad to hear you're doing okay! Like you I think a motorcyclist should make that decision for themselves. Doesn't mean I think it's a very smart decision or a decision I'll ever make They work.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law were hit head on last weekend. Distracted driver came around a corner way way over onto their lane. Ripped the forks off of their Harley and it went bouncing into the grass, they went bouncing the other way. They flew off of the bike head first and tumbled. Road rash, bruises, scrapes. But alive with no permanent or serious injuries.

Drive left the scene, too. But came back later. Claimed they had dogs in their car and wanted to run them home first before coming back to check on them. B.S. Most of us are of the opinion he got scared and took off, then realized he was driving around in a car with a bashed up front end and missing headlight in the vicinity of a felony (injury) hit and run!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Yep. That's why I wear one too, either full face or modular, also I do not like to eat bugs. . Those scuffs on your lid, that would have been on your face. If you had a proper boot on, your ankle would not be swollen now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proven to be true. Anything else we have to take our chances with

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRumata View Post
Yep. That's why I wear one too, either full face or modular, also I do not like to eat bugs. . Those scuffs on your lid, that would have been on your face. If you had a proper boot on, your ankle would not be swollen now.
Yeah my SIL/BIL were wearing half-lids and most of the road rash was on their face. Black eyes and stuff too. But that'll heal. Traumatic brain injuries often don't.

Did he say he wasn't wearing boots? Even with riding boots a swollen or even broken ankle is very possible.

I prefer a FF myself too. Better wind protection, don't eat bugs, etc. People think I'm crazy when I say I find it more comfortable. But hey, works for me.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I did have boots on. While they are not "ridding" boots they are heavy work boots and have protected my feet before in similar situations. Boots have no scuffs on them. Not sure why they didn't this time. I will add that I also had my leather coat on and it only has a few very slight scuffs that are not noticeable enough to take a picture.

2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Ivan's ECU ~ Kuryakyn Long Horn Highway Pegs ~ Chucksters Risers ~ Grasshopper Backrest ~ Dual Horns ~ 34024-1330 Kickstand ~ Kawi Gel Front Seat

Last edited by boy_welder2000; 05-02-2015 at 10:38 PM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
People think I'm crazy when I say I find it more comfortable. But hey, works for me.
I do not think you are crazy. I completely understand you. Well designed lid is very comfortable, light, well ventilated, quiet and does not abstract field of view. There is nothing wrong with that. I am all pro choice of riding gear. (even if it is 0) gear. But it should be dictated by personal risk assessment, not by cultural cliche, the type of bike one rides or government.

No. He did not say anything about boots. But speaking from personal experience a well designed proper riding boot that does not allow foot to bend on yaw axis, only on pitch axis for walking made a lot of difference for me. Of course if one would hit a brick wall at 70mph one would be dead no matter what gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy_welder2000 View Post
I did have boots on. While they are not "ridding" boots they are heavy work boots and have protected my feet before in similar situations. Boots have no scuffs on them. Not sure why they didn't this time. I will add that I also had my leather coat on and it only has a few very slight scuffs that are not noticeable enough to take a picture.
We are glad you are OK, other than the ankle. That will heel. You are still with us on this earth. We are all going do die some day, no one get's off this planet alive, but let's not hurry to leave it, right.

GET WELL SOON!!!

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Generally, riding boots will be taller, and stiffer. Some will have steel or molded plastic 'braces' inside the leather. Not as comfortable to walk in but they offer a lot of ankle support in a get-off. Obviously, every one is different. Some are glorified work boots that they just tagged extra money onto and called it "motorcycle", or just regular boots with thicker soles.

Mine I love, they are zip-up (the real advantage to those is no laces to leak; absolutely bone dry in all kinds of weather; even torrential downpours). Very stiff leather. Less comfortable for walking around, but super comfy on the bike. The ankle support adds a level of comfort. In theory, it'll offer more support in a wreck. But for all we know your boots could've been the difference between a sprained ankle or a serious long-recovery tear!

Also, I'm positive you already know this; but it's time for a new lid. They are 'one time use'. Make sure your insurance adjuster knows about any damaged helmet/riding gear/etc. Most policies cover it (sometimes under 'accessory' coverage). There's an internal liner that actually does the work in a crash, and it's done it's job; and it's toast.

SOME helmet manufacturers even take back wrecked helmets (usually with a police report) and will replace them for free. They do R&D work on helmets that have been uh... "used"! And use the data to improve designs.

Quote:
I do not think you are crazy. I completely understand you. Well designed lid is very comfortable, light, well ventilated, quiet and does not abstract field of view. There is nothing wrong with that. I am all pro choice of riding gear. (even if it is 0) gear. But it should be dictated by personal risk assessment, not by cultural cliche, the type of bike one rides or government.

No. He did not say anything about boots. But speaking from personal experience a well designed proper riding boot that does not allow foot to bend on yaw axis, only on pitch axis for walking made a lot of difference for me. Of course if one would hit a brick wall at 70mph one would be dead no matter what gear.
For sure. And properly fitting. Lots of folks try a full face on once, one brand, or get one off of craigslist, or one came with the bike; and it's uncomfortable because it's cheap junk or just doesn't fit well.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
We are glad you are OK, other than the ankle. That will heel. You are still with us on this earth. We are all going do die some day, no one get's off this planet alive, but let's not hurry to leave it, right.

GET WELL SOON!!!
I agree with you on that count 100%. Thank you for the well wishes. I am hoping to be back on the bike by May 24th. Have a big 300+ mile ride planned that day.

2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Also, I'm positive you already know this; but it's time for a new lid. They are 'one time use'. Make sure your insurance adjuster knows about any damaged helmet/riding gear/etc. Most policies cover it (sometimes under 'accessory' coverage). There's an internal liner that actually does the work in a crash, and it's done it's job; and it's toast.

SOME helmet manufacturers even take back wrecked helmets (usually with a police report) and will replace them for free. They do R&D work on helmets that have been uh... "used"! And use the data to improve designs.
Yes, I am going to pick up a new helmet in a few weeks when I go to Iron Pony.

2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode