Inattentional blindness - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Inattentional blindness

Thought this article was a good read. Especially for us dealing with changing seasons. Enjoy!

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/spring-hazards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Good article. Spring always seems to bring out the worst drivers out here. Just inattentive. Compound that with sand, gravel, etc. Where I live, the worst isn't snow removal type stuff, it's washed out driveways from heavy spring rains. Gravel driveways are common and they get washed out all over the road. I tend to stay away from my favorite twisties until after spring, just because, inevitably, one of those washed out driveways is just past the apex of a corner!

Here's a little screenshot (sort of. I was too lazy to take an actual screenshot so I just took a pic with my phone) of my excitement the other day. And it was the third incident of the day. Incident one was a woman on a John Deere Gator who thought that vehicles that are illegal on public roads are apparently exempt from road laws. I was crossing railroad tracks, she had a stop sign. She decided that there was no need to brake or slow down or anything coming through that stop sign. Incident two was a guy turning right through an intersection in a small pickup and swinging way, way wide all the way into my lane. And number three was this moron who was driving down the road on the wrong side. Here in the snip you can see me on the brakes, about to be on the horn, and him swerving over into his lane. No clue if he was just distracted, or just stupid, or both. Oh, and he flipped me off and honked at me when he went by. It's a 55MPH road; thank God for strong brakes!

Honestly I think what was really happening, you can see that's a corner, and it's not uncommon for guys to just cut the corners. But he really, really, REALLY cut it. In the MSF course they teach inside-outside-inside. I don't do that. I pretend like about 3 feet from the yellow line is the actual yellow line because it's so common for cars to be over it around corners on these roads with little traffic. What is especially bad are the big trucks who can't be bothered to slow down and make the curve. And, sorry, I don't care how essential trucks are, if you can't make the curve, you can't be on that road. Nothing you're carrying is worth ending someones life. These companies need to be using smaller trucks or alternative routes.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 04-21-2015 at 08:19 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

That's a pretty scary scenario, and it happens often where I live as well. I'm a new rider with only about 400 miles under my belt and I've experienced drivers going over the double yellow, nothing as bad as what you experienced but bad enough to get my heart going. It's as if they don't even begin to think about what could be around the bend until it's right in front of their faces. BTW, big fan of the you tube channel, glad to see you back at it in that beautiful new ride!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:39 PM

Just this morning on my way to work, I crossed over I-70 (a major interstate that goes through Kansas City) on my way to work like I always do and a semi started to pull out and turn left right in front of me. Just flat right in front of me - no excuse at all. I was going 45MPH, so I did a bit of unintentional autocross to avoid t-boning the semi truck. I learned that my van handles reasonably well (for a van), but its lateral grip is pretty terrible. Seriously though, inattentive morons are everywhere and drive everything, so it definitely pays to keep your eyes out and know what's around you.

'97 Vulcan 1500 Classic 88
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Sheesh, it's becoming a daily thing! Uploaded the video footage this time. This video is proof-positive of why I think that "Watch for eye contact" is pure bull. She began to inch out, looked at me, we made eye contact, then she pulled out. I don't know if she just totally misjudged where I was, just didn't care, or the very possible scenario that she looked right at me but didn't "see" me. Didn't register in her brain that she needed to stop.

https://youtu.be/e9_PxCqO7qI

Obviously, low speed road, plenty of room, plenty of time. Hardly a scenario worth batting an eye over. Horn was just to keep her 'still' while I went around her. But, it still illustrates what we have to watch for! Eyes on a swivel, and always have a plan.

Oh, and because I ALWAYS get the comment; I was in the middle of the lane. The wide angle lens, mounted on the right side of the helmet, makes it look like I'm farther to the left than I actually am.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 12:43 AM

Romans,
I wanna see the video of the other incident with the other car being over the line. Now, THAT is something to bat an eye over!
Ride Safe.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 AM
BOTM Winner
October 2015

Year/Make/Model: Classic
Color: Red / Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
...Didn't register in her brain that she needed to stop.

https://youtu.be/e9_PxCqO7qI
Bunch of questions Romans. First, great video.

What camera are you using, where is it mounted and is it running all the time?

And do you have an plan to upgrade that wimpy little "meep meep" horn of yours?

I definitely need to but have procrastinated (relay, wiring, under-tank work, etc...)

Go ride? NW Chicago suburbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan VN1700 LT
"Metallic Imperial Red / Metallic Titanium"
VBA Member 2908
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Cheech View Post
Bunch of questions Romans. First, great video.

What camera are you using, where is it mounted and is it running all the time?
Drift HD mounted on the right side of the helmet. And yeah, I generally have it on.

Quote:
And do you have an plan to upgrade that wimpy little "meep meep" horn of yours?

I definitely need to but have procrastinated (relay, wiring, under-tank work, etc...)
One of these days, probably. I'd like a Wolo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode