LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Full face on a cruiser

Whats everyones opinions on this? Comfort? Issue they have? Looks? Ect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM
WEG

I'm a bit conservative in my old age when it comes to prevention. I always will wear protective gear when riding which includes a modular helmet. Modular so I can flip up the face shield and chin guard when stopped and not have to take off the helmet to cool off a bit or communicate. I picked matte black because of looks, knowing that Hi Viz yellow would be safer, but I still have some stupid vanity it seems. Maybe next helmet and/or jacket will be Hi Viz..we will see.

I realize folks mostly choose their level of protection based on looks, comfort and the law and maybe some fear of an unexpected "get off". Mine's the last, I know I fear road rash and broken bones the most and am willing to look rather stupid to some while on a black V1700 cruiser/bagger (spell check wrote "bragger".. pretty funny!). But that's my choice and since I am a senior citizen, I can tell them where to go and for the most part, get away with it (crazy old man!)

WEG
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Banned

I wear a full face this time of the year around here in Western Pennsylvania. Also a scarf, gloves & Long Johns too. The full face keeps most of the cold air off my face. I like the open type helmet when it is warm out. Then there are the Dumb people who do not wear any type of a helmet. No helmets are allowed here in Pennsylvania & Ohio area where I live. Just can't think of what my head would look like if it hit the payment doing about 65 MPH. Most likely it would resemble an egg splattered on the road.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiGuy937 View Post
Whats everyones opinions on this? Comfort? Issue they have? Looks? Ect
I have a full face and a half. Depends on what I'm type of riding I'm doing, temperature etc...Who cares what it looks like.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Good thoughts guys. Yeah i have a full face for my sport bike its mostly people giving me hell for the "look" of a helmet i think on the cruiser. I agree with whats been said here
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
The only helmets I've ever owned are/were full face helmets. I've gotten comments, sure. I've also gotten comments because my bike is the wrong brand, the wrong color, the wrong size. When I was a kid I wore glasses and some punk kid called me "four eyes". Some people never grow up. It's really not a big deal. Ride what you want and how you want.

I'm not a safety nazi, I don't scoff at people in half helmets or no helmets. As long as they are enjoying the ride, that's what counts. But full-face helmets definitely offer the best protection; both in a crash and from the elements. (It's nice when hitting debris, dust, smoke, etc., to just be able to close the visor). I HAVE ridden with 3/4 helmets and 1/2 helmets. Personally, I found them to be less comfortable. The half helmet pulled and tugged in the wind, and the 3/4 helmet actually feels goofier than a full face to me; and didn't really feel any different than my full face. The half shell was definitely an uncomfortable lid; and I can see why so many like non-lined 'fake' half helmets; because they don't mushroom out and catch the wind. But, a full face also doesn't catch the wind. The air just moves around it!

A lot of people ask me if I get "hot" and personally I don't. I ride with my vents open and the visor open (with safety glasses underneath). Plenty of airflow.

There's a lot of good reasons to choose a lot of different helmets. Just pick what works for you. Personally, wearing a helmet different than the one you want to wear simply because someone else doesn't like it seems like mismatched priorities! Don't let folks you don't know have that much authority over your life and decision making.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Very good read man thanks for the input. I have heard that full face on a cruiser sue to seating position causes it to tug up on your face due to the wind. Ill have to give it a try . I dont really like the no helmet riding (other than comfort) it doesnt feel safe
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Ill also add im 24 and just bought a mean streak so i have alot of inmature friends. My other ride that i still ride is a 2004 zx10r so two different worlds. I love them both for different reasons
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM

I would guess about half the riders I see on cruisers wear a full face, so I'm used to the look. I wear a Scorpion full face and don't have any wind issues. I ride both with and without the windscreen and no helmet issues either way.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

I suppose at 24 you may feel the peer pressure a bit more than us older guys. I'm 55 and wear a full face convertible all the time. Doesn't make much sense to me wear different protective gear on different types of bikes (well, maybe if you are at the track!). If you hit the road it's not going to check what type of bike you came off of before crushing your skull or grinding your skin to the bone. (May be taboo to use that language in general but hey, we are on the safety forum here.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode