AAA report on distracted teenage drivers - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

AAA report on distracted teenage drivers

There's a sobering story out today from AAA stating teenage drivers are distracted by cell phone and other things four times more than previous research suggests. No surprise. Every time I go out I see kids in cars staring down while driving. It's not only young people of course. I myself have dialed a cell phone while driving... not proud of it. Probably thousands of people will die this year due to cell phone distraction. Yet the news cycle is obsessed with 150 that died in a plane crash. Yes it's tragic and it's news but it never ceases to amaze me how "common ways to die" become mundane even when there are so many more affected. Would it really be so tragic to disable text functions on cell phones when the phone is moving faster than 10 mph? Yes, passengers would be affected also but they can still "talk" on the phone. I realize most young people including my 20 something sons do not realize phone have a talk feature but they are young and can be taught. (That's 20+ years old. No, I have not fathered 20+ male children.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
I hear ya! I had a new teen driver rear end me in my truck while sitting at a red light. I saw her coming in the rear view mirror, head down looking in her lap. She jumped out and said, "I'm so sorry, I totally wasn't paying attention." Kept thinking about if I had been on the bike! Distracted drivers are a huge problem. last year I saw two guys in a larger delivery truck, not a semi and the driver at the light was eating Chinese food from one of those white little bucket containers with.........................chop sticks!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:33 AM

I heard the same or similar report. Its very troubling when you know in a blink life can be over.

Have i done it? Guilty, have i since worked at fixing this, yes! Rarely if ever will i even look at my phone let alone text or take even a call anymore while driving. If i can learn, these kids certainly can.

Good luck, be safe!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:56 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/Titanium
Dave I see your in iowa also I find it ludicrous that in the state of Iowa it's illegal to text and drive but that in itself is not a violation you can be pulled over and ticketed for there has to have been another violation. I see it daily and I've started making it known to the distracted texting driver that I don't approve
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidIA900LT View Post
Dave I see your in iowa also I find it ludicrous that in the state of Iowa it's illegal to text and drive but that in itself is not a violation you can be pulled over and ticketed for there has to have been another violation. I see it daily and I've started making it known to the distracted texting driver that I don't approve
Have to agree with that.

If I were King only hands free talking would be legal for anyone. LEOs would be tasked with pulling over anyone they suspect (see looking down or holding a phone to their ear) of anything else. Cell phones would have special button or some feature which would allow the LEO to check and see if a text was sent or read within the last few minutes, but not see the text. I'm all for freedom and liberty, not so much for a persons "right" to endanger others lives on a daily basis. (Ah... a rant my wife didn't have to hear. :-) She'll appreciate that!)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Definitely an issue out here. Seems soccer moms are as bad as their teenaged daughters. Plenty of minivans have tried to mow me down.

Just put it down and drive! What could be so important?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Top Contributor

Last year I was behind a woman, in the fast lane, that I could clearly see he texting on her phone with her right hand. She finally got over to the right so I could pass. As I got next to her, not only was she texting, she was holding another phone to her left ear and steering with he left ELBOW, at 60-65mph! You have no idea how hard it was for me not to run her off the road at that moment.

2007 V2K, Pearl White/Ti, Road Burner 3", Fi2000, Euro gears, Double Darkside (totaled 4/25/15)
1998 STX 1100 JETSKI (HERS)
1996 ZXi 1100 JETSKI
1990 KDX200
1982 GL500 SILVERWING (sold)
1981 KDX175
1983 JEEP WAGONEER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode