Back Pain Problems - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Color: Black/Gray
Garage
Back Pain Problems

I went on a 71 mile ride a few days ago and am having some major back pain/ stiffness. I already have a Mustang seat with backrest and while I had no pain all day during the ride, it started the next morning. Is there something else I can do to help keep the pain from happing or is something I have to get used to? Thank you for any ideas.

2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Ivan's ECU ~ Kuryakyn Long Horn Highway Pegs ~ Chucksters Risers ~ Grasshopper Backrest ~ Dual Horns ~ 34024-1330 Kickstand ~ Kawi Gel Front Seat

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Traded
2002 Honda CB250 Nighthawk - Sold after 15k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 10:24 AM

It seems like the first couple of spring rides, you get the sore/stiff shoulders or lower back pain. If it hasn't gone away in a couple days.... you probably strained it doing something else, that you didn't realize.
If my back starts bothering me, I lay flat on the floor for a hour or so, but that's just me.
Could start doing some exercises and more walking.
We're all getting older.

'08 1500 Classic
'06 Honda Silverwing 600
'05 750 Vulcan (gone)
'02 800 Intruder (gone)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Like above, first few rides I'm always sore, gotta build up to those longer rides.

I've found stretching before and after has really helped.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Top Contributor

BW, if your job required or requires a lot of physical exertion, as you age you'll most likely have back issues. I sought physical therapy and learned some simple exercises you can do at home that really work. All are performed lying on your back and the key is strengthening your stomach muscles and doing piriformis stretch exercises. A google search will reveal most of those.

For some reason, spending all day on a motorcycle seat with a good backrest works wonders for me in relieving back pain. Seriously, and I don't know why, but it does.

Try the exercises. 15 minutes a day for a few days really helps.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Living The Dream

Garage
It will get better. As others have stated after the winter and your muscle memory is gone from the previous season, you are basically retraining yourself and acclimating to the riding position again. If you are a new rider, it takes even longer. If your bike is still in the stock configuration try repositioning the bars and get yourself upright as much as possible. This is a reason many change out to a taller bar on these bikes. I have had major back surgery and feel your pain, literally. Only mine never goes away, and I don't care. The satisfaction of being on 2 wheels is enough for me to forget about it at least while I am riding. When we are on longer trips and I find myself riding day in and day out for many days in a row, I am pretty sore for the whole following week. Just a reminder of how much fun we had! I went with 8" mini apes and some 3.5" pullback risers. Probably should have just went with 12" bars and been done with it. Good luck!

I was able to keep the stock hoses and cables. But am right now waiting for my extended hoses and cables to arrive so I can alleviate the tension on the ends of the brake hose and clutch cable. I found with the stock classic bars I was leaning forward way too much and would get some serious neck pain from always trying to tip my head back. Especially when wearing a helmet. I absolutely had to go taller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 03-24-2015 at 12:56 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Color: Black/Gray
Garage
Thanks for the ideas. I do have a set of pull back risers (2" up 1.5" back), just need to find the time to install them. Hopefully that is enough. Just hope I get used to it. I already have close to 1200 miles planned out for April, May, and July. As for age I am 29, but have had back issues since I was 16.

This is my first cruiser, so still trying to figure out what the proper way to sit on it is.

2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Ivan's ECU ~ Kuryakyn Long Horn Highway Pegs ~ Chucksters Risers ~ Grasshopper Backrest ~ Dual Horns ~ 34024-1330 Kickstand ~ Kawi Gel Front Seat

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Traded
2002 Honda CB250 Nighthawk - Sold after 15k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode