Leathers: What To Buy - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
old

Garage
Leathers: What To Buy

I'm presently looking for recommendations for leather pants (winter and summer if possible). A zip out lining seems desirable. Right now I'm wearing lined 14oz denim jeans with waffle underwear underneath. There must be a better way. Comments Please!

'09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 AM

It all depends on what you want and are willing to pay. I wear motoport armored riding pants made from stretch Kevlar. They give maximum protection and allow your legs to breath. Good for 20-100 degrees. Cost is the catching point on these but they are far cheaper than hospital bills.

Live life like there is no tomorrow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:48 PM
WEG

Hi Strublet

Those certainly are impressive protection. Could you please share what riding jacket you wear? I am a firm believer of ATGATT riding. My biggest concern is the summer heat especially in Florida where I lived year round for five years. I still try to winter there as much as possible. Heat and having adequate protection can be problematic for me.

WEG

Last edited by WEG; 01-21-2015 at 12:51 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Is leather important to you? I'm of the opinion that modern textiles are the way to go. Much lighter and more versatile. I have textile gear that can be light and breathable and offer some protection while keeping the bugs and grit off (great for commuting and not showing up looking like you commuted on a bike); or with liners can be waterproof and warm and work well!

My recipe is a textile jacket, and a second thin rain/wind jacket. It's a liner, but it has it's own zipper and can be worn as it's own jacket. That's beneficial because it's easier than inserting/removing the liner to just put the liner on, zip it up, then put the jacket on. Then I have overpants that go, as the name suggests, over my pants. Good boots, and gloves for the occasion (heavy lined leather ones for cold and rainy weather, to light mesh ones for the summer. Gel palms are really nice for comfort). Personally I wear a full face helmet and a good scarf under that makes a world of difference in the winter.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 01-21-2015 at 01:32 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
We don't wear leather in the summer down here.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Motoport uses two main materials for their gear. Stretch Kevlar and mesh Kevlar. The mesh Kevlar provides plenty of air flow while maintaining the abrasion protection. Full armor in both types of jackets, much more than you get on other types. You should go to motoport web site to check out the studies done and how they are made. Not cheap gear..... You have to consider what your body is worth.

Live life like there is no tomorrow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:15 PM
BOTM Winner
August 2015

If you are still interested in leathers check out foxcreekleather.com ... American made with a lifetime guarantee. Also a very helpful staff with getting them sized properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode