Curb feelers - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Curb feelers

It sounds crazy, or dorky maybe, but I think I'm going to put some on and spend a day just letting them scrape the ground right below the boards so I can know with fewer consequences what the limits of lean angle are without paranoia or distraction. They won't be on for long, maybe a day or so and I'm going to hide them well as I can. We will see how it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compton89 View Post
It sounds crazy, or dorky maybe, but I think I'm going to put some on and spend a day just letting them scrape the ground right below the boards so I can know with fewer consequences what the limits of lean angle are without paranoia or distraction. They won't be on for long, maybe a day or so and I'm going to hide them well as I can. We will see how it works.
I just replaced the bank sensors on the bottom my boards.

If you take a good look at your footboards; you'll see that they are spring loaded and will move up a few inches.
You'll also notice that there is a piece of metal (bank sensor) bolted to the bottom of them; this is to provide a cheap replaceable part that is meant to scrape.

If you haven't changed the geometry of your bike, or put pipes on that are dramatically different than stock. The bank sensors on the bottom of the boards should touch first and let you know when you are nearing your "bank" limit.

Save your money and just find an aggressive curve with good road conditions then lean her over.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I looked down there and didn't see anything like that bank sensor you mentioned. When I did go hard into a turn, a nut on the bottom hooked a small rut in the road and man did it kick back against my feet and make a racket. What model are you riding? I figured that I was just going to make some stuff out of some large worm clamps or maybe use this old car antenna I got laying around, either way it was only going to cost me some minutes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
The 1st day I road my Voyager 2up, after riding interstate home 35 miles solo, I scraped hard parts, namely the bottom of the heat shield on the exhaust, then the lean sensor. This was a 1/4 mile from home. Added air to the shocks and now the sensors touch 1st. The 1st time I did this on my 800, about scared the h*ll out of me, had only been riding a couple months at the time. I'm now on my 3rd set of feelers on it, they are more like pins that screw into the corner of the peg. On the Voyager they are more like 3/4" angles. For kicks, replace them with titanium for a nice white shower of sparks.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Hey Compton,

Like Rick said the Voyager has a angle bracket looking thing. Pic below.

You ride a 2005 1500 correct?
I looked up the foot boards diagram on Partzilla.
Link: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...STS/parts.html

Looks like PN: 92001 serves as a bank sensor bolt/pin on that model (Rick is right again). I would check the footboards to make sure it looked like it was still in functional condition.

This is the Voyager bank sensor about 1/4 worn. You can see they are meant to scrape.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

That's what bounced off the road, pn 92001. But it has given me an idea for impovement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode