Rear marker light question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Rear marker light question

Anyone know why the rear yellow lights on most bikes only come on when using the blinker?

The front are always on which is what I want and makes good since for being more visible especially at night.

If there is no strange law against this my plan is to just buy 2 aftermarket front ones and just install on the rear.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Our children will never remember how much money we made and they will never forget who we were. - Chuck Swindoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Garage
That's just the way they're wired. There's a great thread in wrench heads about making your turn into running lights on the cheap. I used some of the wiring advise when I wired in some aftermarket turn signals that double as running lights.

If you're up for a little sodering, either way would make you more visible from the rear.

Few problems on this green earth cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'96 Vulcan 500LTD
'08 Vulcan 500LTD (wife's)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:14 PM

The Law in most States is that rear running lights need to be red. Check local Laws in your area. You can change the lenses to red. Some have uses red bulbs with clear lenses.

Last edited by Ron M; 08-10-2014 at 06:16 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
The Law in most States is that rear running lights need to be red. Check local Laws in your area. You can change the lenses to red. Some have uses red bulbs with clear lenses.
x2

rear facing always on lights CANNOT be yellow/amber or white. To the best of my knowledge, the only acceptable color for this in all US states is red.

What I did...
Since I bought a light bar with turn signals installed on them, I removed the bulb plug and wiring from the front signal housings and installed them into the rear signal housings, thus making them 3 wire signals. I tied in the new wire into my license plate light so that the bulbs low output filament is always on, just like the fronts, and the turn signals function as normal.

I bought a set of red signal lenses from here:
http://www.customdynamics.com/Kawasa...light_lens.htm

(I id this with both my 750 and 900. same lenses fit both of the stock turn signals.

My next step for the 900 is to switch to LED bulbs on the turn signals. the ones I want are just a little pricey. I've already got the tail/brake light and License plate bulb LED.

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

2014 Vulcan 900 Custom
(16,200 miles and counting)

Last edited by Ndr; 08-12-2014 at 02:22 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Top Contributor

I went to clear lenses and wired in two "X" patterned strips of red SMEDS. With a simple dropping resistor, and grounding the SMEDS through the incandescent yellow lamp I have dimmed red running lights, bright red brake lights and alternating Yellow incandescent/red SMEDs.

In God I Trust, all others, Bring Data!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Good tips.

Thanks.

Our children will never remember how much money we made and they will never forget who we were. - Chuck Swindoll
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 05:58 AM

Ndr
I added a flasher to my rear brake light for an extra margin of safety but didn't feel it was enough driving in the dark early in the morning, sometimes in the fog.

Recently I added the OEM light bar to my 9 and knowing that the one I took off most likely wouldn't sell you've provided me with an upgrade I was looking for! I'm also going to replace my rear turn signal light sockets with the ones taken from the front and order the red lenses.

Thanks so much for the tip!

Last edited by SW500; 08-16-2014 at 06:04 AM. Reason: added verbage
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Any one know a place where I can just buy the dual light socket?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Garage
kissmydrums, here's a link that has the socket you're looking for, its the 1157 type.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...d-sockets/171/

Few problems on this green earth cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'96 Vulcan 500LTD
'08 Vulcan 500LTD (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode