"White-Out" visibility conditions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

"White-Out" visibility conditions

After years of driving vehicles, a couple years back while driving through busy Atlanta freeways I experienced visibility conditions approaching "0" late one afternoon. The freeway was hot and an unexpected heavy rain shower suddenly hit. The resulting road steam, road spray from other vehicles, and the sun's rays turned the world nearly a solid white. The only choice was to closely tail the vehicle ahead which I could just barely make out, and hope for the best.

And that was in a newer vehicle with excellent windshield wipers!

The other day, late one afternoon, the same thing happened near Alexandria, Louisiana. Only this time I was on my motorcycle. Six lanes of heavy traffic and I'm on the inside lane of all places. Same scenario, "0" visibility, and the windshield is blocking any wind that is necessary to scatter the accumulation on my face-shield. Traffic is doing between 60 - 70 mph and there's simply no choice but to closely tail the vehicle ahead because those tail lights are the only thing visible, and just barely at that. Thank the man above that those tail lights were lit. And don't tell me you can raise your visor and depend on your eyes. The rain hitting your eyeballs will quickly have you shutting your eyelids. It just can't be done at those speeds. Moving my head to the side to catch some wind on my face-shield helped a little and thankfully, the view behind in the rear-view mirrors was better. At the first opportunity I worked my bike over to the outside lane, no small feat in itself, and stopped under the nearest overpass.

That's probably the most vulnerable I've ever felt on a motorcycle and it was one scary experience. One I hope to never repeat.

How to avoid? Well, I'm not quite sure. First of all, a windshield blocks any wind necessary to scatter the raindrops on a face-shield. That's almost acceptable if visibility is fairly good, but add in "white-out" conditions and the recipe is not good.

I've heard on this forum that Rain-X should not be used on plastic materials, but there has to be something that will help if caught in extreme conditions. So if any of you veteran riders have any advice it sure would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
I have put rain-x on my windshield and haven't seen any problems.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 AM
Ndr

The one security guard at my office building swears by Rain-X. I've never had a use for it myself. My Nolan N-104 that I've been wearing this year hasn't had any problems with rain accumulation. Even riding slowly through heavy rainfall. I have a Memphis Shades Batwing with a 12" shield, so by no means a small windscreen.

I've personally never had an issue seeing through raindrops that collect on my visors in a full race helmet. The real problem hits me when said visor fogs up. However, that's where the PIN Lock feature available on the Nolan (and many other) really shines through.

due to the "dual pain" feature, I never get any fogging due to temperature differences or moisture.

This is of course just my own personal experience. YMMV.

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

2014 Vulcan 900 Custom
(16,200 miles and counting)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I'll try the rain-x on both the windshield and face-shield first before buying a good full-face with the PIN lock feature. The double pane feature is an excellent way to reduce fogging, but so far my 3/4 helmet, drop down shield hasn't had any fogging issues.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
I'll try the rain-x on both the windshield and face-shield first before buying a good full-face with the PIN lock feature. The double pane feature is an excellent way to reduce fogging, but so far my 3/4 helmet, drop down shield hasn't had any fogging issues.
I thought I recalled that Rain-X was not to be used on plastis and especially motorcycle windshields so I did a quick google search and found the following:

Is Rain‑X Original Glass Treatment safe to use on plastics, motorcycle windshields, and ATVs?
No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

Source link: http://www.rainx.com/faq/rainx-origi...dshields-atvs/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Rider View Post
I thought I recalled that Rain-X was not to be used on plastis and especially motorcycle windshields so I did a quick google search and found the following:

Is Rain‑X Original Glass Treatment safe to use on plastics, motorcycle windshields, and ATVs?
No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

Source link: http://www.rainx.com/faq/rainx-origi...dshields-atvs/
TRUE! I learn the the hard way! Don't use it on plastics...

In God I Trust, all others, Bring Data!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 PM

Garage
I have never tried this but if anyone has now would be the time to chime in.
http://www.motosolutions.com/raincoat.html

I found a review on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-JL88e5OX4

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic

VRA chapter (1-64) member

Last edited by peegh; 08-07-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added content
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Some are reporting good results with Rain-X while others are not. I suspect it attacks certain types of plastic shields and not others. I'd just as soon not take a chance with that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peegh View Post
I have never tried this but if anyone has now would be the time to chime in.
http://www.motosolutions.com/raincoat.html

I found a review on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-JL88e5OX4
Peegh, thanks for the link. "Rain Coat" is probably the cadillac of rain repellants if based on price alone. I found a local supplier and will give it a try. I also found a product called "Rain Zip", somewhat less expensive, that is sold by National Cycle, Inc. for use on their polycarbonate windshields. Not sure how affective it would be on acrylic shields, but it's worth a try also.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 AM

I used a product called 'glass wax' when I had the jeep, on the plastic windows. It worked great. Prompted by a pilot friend, I tried Pledge. It's all he uses on his small aircraft. It works surprising well. And you smell lemon fresh as you tool down the road!

2005 V2K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee V2K View Post
I used a product called 'glass wax' when I had the jeep, on the plastic windows. It worked great. Prompted by a pilot friend, I tried Pledge. It's all he uses on his small aircraft. It works surprising well. And you smell lemon fresh as you tool down the road!
Yep! Every airplane I've flown in the last 8 years, we've used pledge on the canopy.

LTJG, VT-21, USN, 1390
2014 Vulcan 900 Classic
Saddlemen Drifter Teardrop bags
OEM Engine Bars
Million Color LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode