Motorcyclist killed in Beaverton Oregon - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Motorcyclist killed in Beaverton Oregon

I'm sharing this and ask you to consider sharing it with others. This tragedy killed my son and I've been made aware of it becoming a large controversy in many motorcycle communities. I've included my comment to the text of article and to some of the thoughtless comments made on the article. Below it is a link to the article.

Posted as "His Father":

As Andrew's father, I spoke with the medical examiner. I know what happened as the police understand it. I know what happened to Andrew and what was the cause of death. I arrived on the scene moments after Andrew was taken away. I later viewed Andrew and saw the damage. I know.

As a rider myself, I had talked with Andrew about the helmet and its lack of protection. I always wear a full-face helmet and I always encourage that of everyone who rides. But what you do not know unless you knew him is he had an exceptionally large head. Even a XXXL helmet pressed on his head leaving impressions. Since he suffered from severe migraines much of his life, and this helmet pressure would trigger them, it was a condition unbearable for him. So he made his choice. Not ride, or ride with a less-protective helmet. He chose the latter.

Do not use this one, isolated case to generalize about helmet use or non-use. It was one man's experience for his own situation and it was his choice. Do not characterize him or this tragic event by this one choice. You do not know him; you did not walk in his shoes; you do not have the right to judge.

Bethany man killed in motorcycle, SUV collision in Aloha

Last edited by RodBarnes; 07-23-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Rod,
sorry for your loss!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
I am truly sorry for your loss, sir.

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

@Dean, @24mileboy - Thank you. He loved riding second only to his love for his family. It is appreciated you took the time to reply and express your care. Be safe. Remember: Cars always win.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Cars pulling out of lots. I have no love for them, or their carelessness. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

LTJG, VT-21, USN, 1390
2014 Vulcan 900 Classic
Saddlemen Drifter Teardrop bags
OEM Engine Bars
Million Color LEDs
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

@txsailor - Thank you. Giving your time to send your thought is truly appreciated. We who ride share a special experience. Those of us who ride and who are also veterans -- well, that just adds another dimension. From your moniker I assume you are a Navy vet living in or from Texas? Andrew and I are both former Navy. He will be interred in Willamette National Cemetery on Tuesday with military honors.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Rod I'm so sorry for your loss.

People are afraid and they won't admit it. And when they are afraid, they look for things to blame; but what they blame has to be something that they control. The obvious blame is the driver who pulled out; but we can't control that. We can control the gear and helmets we wear; so we blame that. If we blame his novelty helmet, and hurl insults at a person we've never met, harming his family; then we can feel better about ourselves because we wear better helmets and thus won't meet the fate he met.

It's silly, and none of the people doing it will admit doing it or even realize they are doing it. But they are afraid and that's exactly why they respond like that.

Sorry for your loss; you and your family are in my prayers.

Just as an add though; when it comes to helmets size isn't everything. I'm sure your son tried everything; but for others reading; sometimes someone will put on one brand of a full face and can't find any size to fit them so they say "Well I can't wear a full face". The reality is they are all so different, as our heads are all so different. Another brand might fit. Though it does sound like your son was a unique case.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 07-17-2014 at 10:00 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 AM

So sorry for your loss Rod.

--2010 900 Classic--
--Argus Battery Bug--
--Cobra rack, passenger backrest, passenger floorboards, tachometer--
--Saddlemen Cruisn Teardrop Saddlebags w/ Quick-Disconnect Mounting Kit--
--Kawasaki windshield & lowers--

Other bike: R1200RTW
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBarnes View Post
@txsailor - Thank you. Giving your time to send your thought is truly appreciated. We who ride share a special experience. Those of us who ride and who are also veterans -- well, that just adds another dimension. From your moniker I assume you are a Navy vet living in or from Texas? Andrew and I are both former Navy. He will be interred in Willamette National Cemetery on Tuesday with military honors.
Just got into the Navy actually, got my commission in May. And thank you and your son for going before and making my time possible.

LTJG, VT-21, USN, 1390
2014 Vulcan 900 Classic
Saddlemen Drifter Teardrop bags
OEM Engine Bars
Million Color LEDs
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

@Romans5.8 - Thank you for expressing your sympathy and thoughts. Yes, the focus on the helmet is so typical of the media. You made the same point that I and his brother (another rider) made: Um, how about the SUV that pulled out in front of him? Maybe the helmet wouldn't have mattered or been needed if that hadn't happened.

Your point about helmet sizes being different between manufacturers is absolutely correct. I know that personally. But Andrew did try several. Yet, you know it can be a difficult, trial-and-error to find one that works.

In this particular instance, however, I'm confident a full face would not have made a difference. I saw his body and spoke with the medical examiner and am confident that is the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode