n00b looking to price out some gear - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

n00b looking to price out some gear

I'm planning to buy a used V900 in the next couple months as my first bike and I'm trying to get a good idea of what a good set of gear will run me without going nuts. I'm 5'6" and 150 pounds, so I'm probably looking for smalls all the way around.

Below is a list (in US currency) of items that I think I need, price approximations for each item, and the season that item is intended for:

full helmet (snell approved) all year 'round @ $250

boots (steel-toed and above the ankles) all year 'round @ $150

gloves (vented) warmer weather @ $40 - current leathers can be used in cold weather

jacket (something with good ventilation) warmer weather @ $200 - current leathers may be used in cold weather although I may opt for a more proper leather jacket at some point.

So far it seems as though I could get a good set of gear for a $650 budget without pants. I will be riding with long pants though. I know they're not super protective like proper riding pants, but it seems as though riding pants would almost be more bother taking on and off all the time than they're worth with the possible exception of long trips. Does this sound like a reasonable set of gear to start with and an appropriate price range?

Last edited by kcducttaper; 07-15-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have a few helmets (seems to be a disease common to motorcyclists) but don't typically pay more than $100 a lid. But at $250 you could get some nice features.

$150 is a good range for boots.

My cold-weather gloves were $30 and my warm weather gloves were about $15.

Crank up the budget for jackets. This is one place you don't want to skimp, trust me. You also need to figure out your material and whether you'll want armor. My current jacket is leather with vents and a zipper liner. It's good for all year where I live, but warmer or colder climates may require more than one jacket.

Don't discount riding pants or chaps. They are worth every cent in cold weather or if you take a spill.

I think your budget will get you by to get started, but like the rest of us you'll end up with a pile of different stuff over the next couple years.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
With helmets, you pay for comfort; not protection. If it's a snell rated full face; then it's a top notch helmet. If you pay more; you'll get excellent comfort and ventilation; but if you're on a budget don't think you need to pay $250 to get one that will protect you in a crash.

And TRY THEM ON. Helmet are not one-size-fits all, and you'll find that there are even brands that won't fit you no matter which size or model. Go to a dealer and try on a few lids and wear them around for a few minutes and find a helmet that's comfortable.

Also, look online (and at your dealer) for clearance items. As strange as it sounds; you really can find deals on "last seasons" gear. I don't know what motorcyclists try to keep 'up with the fashion', but the styling, colors, patterns, etc. of various brands riding gear do change from year to year and the 'out of style' stuff is often discounted. Especially if you're an uncommon size (small or very big). Heck I bought a jacket not too long ago for $110 that retailed at $379 because it was the 'outgoing model', functionally the same as the new jacket but the new jacket had some different colors and patterns and stuff.

There's a lot of things I don't mind paying a little extra for but I have to say, "Fashion" isn't one of them. Heck yeah I'll buy the 'out of style' gear for less money! And it's a great place to look. It's a big investment getting gear right off the bat; focus on getting some good quality, comfortable gear at a good price; then you can upgrade individual pieces as you go along.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Top Contributor

I'm about 5'8" and 145lbs. I wear Large in a lot of gear. Try it all on before you commit to buy. Some gear producers I think make /size stuff as if everyone buying their stuff is Japanese. No offense intended there, it's just that some of us never buy L in other things now do in bike gear. Your budgeting appears good with room for bargains and moving $ between items. Maybe with enough to get some Draggin jeans thrown in itf you're a smart shopper.

In God I Trust, all others, Bring Data!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode