Half Helmet and RX Eyeglasses - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Half Helmet and RX Eyeglasses

Hello,

I'm in the market for a half helmet and I wear RX glasses. I've owned one HH in the past and rode w/o any eye protection and it sucked. Nothing like crying while enjoying a ride. Anyhoot, I am looking for opinions/experiences with over-the-glasses goggles/sun glasses. I had a set at one time, but they didn't fit my glasses too well.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:05 PM

I have the same affliction. Got a set of goggles from these guys. http://www.zennioptical.com/eyeglass...uestid=888376#

Dirt cheap and work well with beanie helmet and no shield.

2006 VN2000 Classic Lt
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdutchguy View Post
I have the same affliction. Got a set of goggles from these guys. http://www.zennioptical.com/eyeglass...uestid=888376#

Dirt cheap and work well with beanie helmet and no shield.
That looks cool, but kinda unpractical, imo. For the price of 2 pairs, I could get a set of goggles with interchangeable lens.

I'm gone!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 VN900B
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyriderguy View Post
Hello,

I'm in the market for a half helmet and I wear RX glasses. I've owned one HH in the past and rode w/o any eye protection and it sucked. Nothing like crying while enjoying a ride. Anyhoot, I am looking for opinions/experiences with over-the-glasses goggles/sun glasses. I had a set at one time, but they didn't fit my glasses too well.

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm in the same boat! I tried on the Bell Pit Boss. A fine helmet, but because I'm smack in between sizes on their chart the medium was too small an the large too loose even with the adjusting wheel. I found that the drop-down shield seemed good. Your results may vary. I wound up buying a GMax GM-65 naked. The fit is superb. The drop-down shield however, and unlike the Bell, really doesn't come down far enough, and does little to keep the wind out of my eyes (to which I appear to be very sensitive).

I've done some research and so far the Airfoil 9300 goggles are at the top of my list.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Top Contributor

I use an AFX full face. With the visor down I can wear sunglasses or my RX ones.

2008 Harley Davidson FLHRC (Road King)

2009 Kawasaki VN900C "Sunni" - Traded

1985 Honda Rebel CMX250C "Juice"- Sold
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Top Contributor

HJC revolver, full face. Pull down sun shield. No problem with getting the helmet on over the glasses.

In God I Trust, all others, Bring Data!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
subscribing to this thread. I'm also a bit myopic, but not badly. I used to wear contacts, but that may not be an option for a while for me. I'll often ride without corrective lenses at all, just wearing non-RX riding glasses with interchangeably lenses. My RX isn't that strong, so I can get away with it during the day...but at night the halos around headlights is terrible and the world practically ends with my headlight beam. Obviously not an option when it gets dark.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Top Contributor

I bought a HJC IS-Crusier Half Helmet awhile back and I like it. I have 3 helmets, full face, open face 3/4 and now this half helmet which I wear in the hot months. I also wear prescription glasses and this helmet has a pull down (and retractable) shield that comes down plenty enough to cover my glasses and my eyes. And I wear heavy plastic frames not those dinky wire frames.
Anyhow you can look at it here, they are around $90 bucks now, I got mine on sale for $75. They might run another sale next holiday.
http://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Half-...t/5075835.html
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 PM

I wear glasses and use a half helmet. I use a half shield for my other bike with a windshield and it works well. I got one of these to ride the 500 without windshield

It works well, locks in place ok, touches my chin when closed fully but not bad. I wouldn't want to take a long road trip with it, for that you really need a full face or a windshield. I got both a smoke and a clear.

That goggles and no windshield look might be ok for short trips but I'm not interested.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Top Contributor

I have a pair of glasses I strictly use for riding. Liberty Sport make them. They are not cheap if you are paying for them out of pocket, but my last visit to the eye doc my vision did not change. So I got them for like $30. They have scratch resistant lenses. They are also transition lenses too so they work good for day or night. They are a little snug in a full face, but not bad.

http://www.libertysport.com/torque-i.html#.U8gJGLHq4q5

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode