HJC CL-MAX 2 opinions? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Question HJC CL-MAX 2 opinions?

Ok In short:

How is this helmet for a upright cruising helmet? How well does the ventilation work? Is it more suitable for a sports bike or will this helmet function good enough out here in Arizona?

===========================================

I have a big melon or oval head and a pronounced forehead. Looking for helmets is like a rat in a maze. Not may places around us have a selection I can try on in the 2XL and 3XL range. So in my hunting, I found some XL sized bell solid full face that fit real snug but good. And a Shoei Quest and some other Shoei ??-1100. And then A lady showed me a Modular that was like a down pillow. It fet real well, I cant recall real well, but im sure she and I tested it out when I had it on and I really liked it. But this HJC CL-MAX II had the smallest ventilation I have seen out of all other helmets. And living in AZ And thinking I had no choices. I am planning on a white or silver CLmax2. But before I spend the cash will she do me good or should I keep looking?

Not many places offer helmets that fit my 64+ cm size 8+ XXL or XXXL melon.

A Part of me is thinking I should look for a place that has is in a 2XL vs this shops 3XL. Just because of the sizing chart from HJC says id be a 2XL not a 3XL

2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Cobra Fatty Freeway Bars
Stock K&N Air Filter

Its better to be hated for who you are. Then to be loved for who you are not. --unknown (country song)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone had or used them?

2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Cobra Fatty Freeway Bars
Stock K&N Air Filter

Its better to be hated for who you are. Then to be loved for who you are not. --unknown (country song)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

My wife and I do. I use the HJC half helmet and no ventilation. She uses the full face with ventilation. We live in Gila Bend, AZ and I ride during the summer to the Litchfield area quite often. There's a big difference in air flow between the two. During those wretched two months when AZ has those days when it's 105 to 118 degrees and the lows are still on the 90's I wish I had the ventilation in my mine. The dew rag definitely has it's work cut out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2002 VN1500P Mean Streak.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 01:45 AM

check out the helmet center off the 303 and happy valley or the helmet center off of 35th and union hills they have a good assortment of helmets..
I have the HJC IS-17 and it fits me well but then again i have a 57 cm head lol
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Already Ben to both of there places. I will support them when I make my purchas

2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Cobra Fatty Freeway Bars
Stock K&N Air Filter

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

How is the Ventilation on this CL-max2 helmet?
It looks like it just has 2 teardrop like import and export vents

2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Cobra Fatty Freeway Bars
Stock K&N Air Filter

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM

CL-Max 2 my buddy actually told me about this helmet he has one and I was looking for a decent priced modular helmet for riding so if I didn't want/need to I could just lift the front up. Came in really handy for my advanced safety class I took. Plus I wear glasses so it is much nicer to put them on and not just through the face shield hole. I am not a fan of the vent on the front it doesn't seem to do much. The ones on the top of my head I can feel sometimes the air coming in them. First helmet I bought the tinted shield for so I don't have to switch glasses just shields (glasses again).

I find it very comfortable but seems like I can't see my speedo and other items on top of the tank without actually tilting my head down. I am running the Sena bluetooth headset/intercom on mine works really nice for that as well. Overall I would buy another one of these helmets in a heart beat.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Bear View Post
CL-Max 2 my buddy actually told me about this helmet he has one and I was looking for a decent priced modular helmet for riding so if I didn't want/need to I could just lift the front up. Came in really handy for my advanced safety class I took. Plus I wear glasses so it is much nicer to put them on and not just through the face shield hole. I am not a fan of the vent on the front it doesn't seem to do much. The ones on the top of my head I can feel sometimes the air coming in them. First helmet I bought the tinted shield for so I don't have to switch glasses just shields (glasses again).

I find it very comfortable but seems like I can't see my speedo and other items on top of the tank without actually tilting my head down. I am running the Sena bluetooth headset/intercom on mine works really nice for that as well. Overall I would buy another one of these helmets in a heart beat.
How is she on hot days?

2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Cobra Fatty Freeway Bars
Stock K&N Air Filter

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Living The Dream

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteowl View Post
Has anyone had or used them?
I have a couple of the HJC CL2's and they are very light. My wife and I have gone through a few helmets and these have worked the best. We both have neck issues so the lighter the better. Ventilation is good too. We'd prefer the modular helmets, but they are much heavier.

UPDATE: I guess i should update that we have only used these a few times. And when we did it was mainly due to cold weather. Haven't had them on since it warmed up. So ventilation may not be adequate enough for Arizona.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 06-17-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteowl View Post
How is she on hot days?

I am in Wisconsin right on Lake Michigan we don't get hot days....LOL I myself think that it could use some better venting for warm days the two vents on the top to me don't seem to pull much air in even while riding, that I leave the lower part of the shield cracked open a little just to get the airflow in the helmet. Today it is approximatley 80 out and 70-75% humidity, just had some storms roll through. Probably go out for a quick ride before work and see how it fairs out there in current conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode