Passenger helmet hitting back of mine - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Passenger helmet hitting back of mine

Hi All,

So let me start off by saying I'm new to the cruiser world. I sold my sportbike for a vn900 largely because I wanted something more comfortable for me and a passenger.

Heres my issue: My girlfriend and I both wear full-face helmets because drivers in MA are idiots and we're not fond of jaw-reconstruction surgery. Her helmet always hits mine over bumps, and it's becoming really annoying for both of us (even when she looking over my shoulder).

I tried telling her to sit more upright/a little further back but she claims she already is. She does, however, hold me around the waste.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice? Would a passenger backrest solve this?

Thanks guys!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500L Nomad FI
Displacement/CC's: 1500cc
Color: Burgundy/silver
Garage
A passenger backrest would not automatically solve it, no. She needs to be comfortable using it in order for it to have any benefit. When I was getting used to riding two up, my shifts weren't that good and I'd get a thunk whenver up- or downshifting, nevermind a hard braking situation.

The both of you getting used to the new scoot will help with this problem. Yes, it's annoying, but tell her to relax and that she won't slide off (be sure to guarantee this, it'd be awkward turtles all over if she did). If it doesn't get better, a backrest might be the best option, but again, she'd need to be comfortable being that far back.

I'm sure you'll find a solution, and once you do, the REAL fun can begin.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Zim! I'll give it some time. In the mean time, maybe i'll stick some foam on the front of her helmet haha.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Top Contributor

Just deny her a helmet for a ride or two. With a couple knots on her forehead she'll take more care to hold her position.

I hope you know I'm just kidding...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

LOL

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Top Contributor

All of the replies so far are valid working comments. My wife still bumps me every now and again, but they tend to learn how to stay away as time goes on. If you don't have a passenger backrest I'd get one. It will give her more confidence in sliding back a bit.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM

We've learned that if the hubby sits all the way on the backrest, we don't have helmet clashes. It took him a while to get comfortable with it but it worked out eventually

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Top Contributor

I ride with a pillion all the time and we have never clashed helmets. Wife also never holds me around the waist. She has a dolly seat with a fairly high backrest so she holds on to the side of the backrest, or the rack, or rests her hands on the panniers. If you haven't got a dolly seat then I suggest getting one. She will thank you for it.

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 AM
Top Contributor

It's all in the Pillions comfort level. I ride with my Grandsons gal on the Pillion seat all the time (he's on a GSXR 1300 which she doesn't like). She's a great passenger, and we never bump helmets (both full faced). We've worked out hand signals, like I tap her left knee to hang on if we're going to accelerate "Briskly" and she always pays attention to what's going on, where we are and what's happening. I never really know she's there until she taps me on the right shoulder signaling a need for a P break. So the gals comfort and confidence level is everything. I'd recommend a backrest so she can sit more upright and know that she can't slide off the rear. Also try and work out some signals for needed communication.

In God I Trust, all others, Bring Data!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
Sounds like ya'll just need more road time to adjust from crotch rocket to cruiser riding styles. And I completely agree a back rest would help her in time a swell.

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode