Serious Rain Gear - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Serious Rain Gear

My work situation has drastically changed and in a sense I am being forced to ride my bike to work everyday. My commute has went from 10 minutes down the road to 1.5+ hours of 4 lane highway one way. I know riding a bike is not cheap but it is cheaper than a full size pickup. But that is not what I came on here to ask about.

I have never really looked at rain gear. I always just cheaped out and either bought cheap 1 time use poncho or just wore my leathers and just took it best I could. I don't know what brands are good to get, do I need to look at 1 piece or 2 piece sets? Which ones do I need to avoid, or do I just need to get new gear that is good for multi-season use?

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
get new gear that is good for multi-season use?
Just my opinion...

Ridin' for the love of it!

-ֿ-

Ride on!!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Right now my gear consists of my pirate suit (black leather jacket, chaps, vest,....) and my real gear that I wear most of the time are Draggin Jeans and my perforated leather Joe Rocket jacket. I like the Joe Rocket jacket a lot and it actually fits like one should, just hate to go on the look for new gear that fits like it should. But if that is what I need to do then I guess I will.

I am not going to the Hundred Dollar store and buying that marked up stuff made by other manufactures like their helmets are nothing but Bell or HJC with different badges on it.

Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 AM
BOTM Winner
October 2015

Year/Make/Model: Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red / Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
...I have never really looked at rain gear. I always just cheaped out and either bought cheap 1 time use poncho or just wore my leathers and just took it best I could. I don't know what brands are good to get, do I need to look at 1 piece or 2 piece sets? Which ones do I need to avoid, or do I just need to get new gear that is good for multi-season use?
The stuff in my saddlebag is lightweight Columbia rain pants and a Columbia rain jacket. The zips aren't self sealing or anything so water does get in. And it wicks up the sleeves of your extended arms if it is raining hard. This gear is about $50 for the pants, $50 for the jacket.

The reason I am also in the market is color. My gear is black on black and I'd like to be a bit more visible riding in the rain. Rode home in a rainstorm at dusk this week and I felt invisible. I didn't like it.

Go ride? NW Chicago suburbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan VN1700 LT
"Metallic Imperial Red / Metallic Titanium"
VBA Member 2908

Last edited by Chicago_Cheech; 05-14-2014 at 08:08 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
I have Frogg Toggs. Typically around $60 for a 2 piece set at Academy. You might find them on line for less.

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Red
Tour Master Sentinel LE jacket in hi-vis yellow. Built-in storage pocket, just roll it into the pocket and zip it up, throw it in the saddlebag.
Tour Master Sentinel LE Nomex pants. The Nomex prevents a melt-through on a hot exhaust. Comes with a carry bag.
TREDS Waterproof Motorcycle Rain Boot. You won't believe how much these boots stretch!
I have been using my Firstgear winter gloves for rain, as they are waterproof, but am looking at getting something new, as even during rain, these get rather toasty!
I have been in torrential downpours during my hour+ commute, dry as can be on the other end.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Living The Dream

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Tour Master Sentinel LE jacket in hi-vis yellow. Built-in storage pocket, just roll it into the pocket and zip it up, throw it in the saddlebag.
Tour Master Sentinel LE Nomex pants. The Nomex prevents a melt-through on a hot exhaust. Comes with a carry bag.
TREDS Waterproof Motorcycle Rain Boot. You won't believe how much these boots stretch!
I have been using my Firstgear winter gloves for rain, as they are waterproof, but am looking at getting something new, as even during rain, these get rather toasty!
I have been in torrential downpours during my hour+ commute, dry as can be on the other end.
I am also in the market to get some rain gear for me and the wife. While those look very very nice, there's no way I could pay that much for 2 complete sets, for something that gets tossed in the bags and used very little. I must keep looking.

Think I am going to try these. can get the bag for $5 too. 2 sets with bags is $100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 05-14-2014 at 10:10 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
That is more of what I am looking at. I know it will cost me some $$$, but I don't want to put it out if it ain't going to work. Are they sized to fit over gear or will I have to go up a few sizes to fit over my jacket?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Top Contributor

Wink Gear

http://www.motoport.com/

http://www.aerostich.com/

Those 2 companies are the best.
I wear an Ultra II & Darien pants.
Dump your jacket.These have body armor and breath ability.

JJ

'97 Valkyrie Tourer '06 Stratoliner Midnight '09 V2KLT

NOT a member of an organized religion

Last edited by Jammin'John; 05-14-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Red
They are sized correctly, at least for me. I've been very pleased with the gear so far. I am now working on getting a pair of Areostich short-gauntlet three-digit raincovers, as they look like they would tuck under the jacket sleeves very well. If they work as well as they appear they may, I will be good top to bottom!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode