work dress code vs riding gear - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

work dress code vs riding gear

Bought my bike to ride back and forth to work during the week and long rides on the weekend. Dress code at work is khaki pants or shorts and a polo. I typically wear khaki shorts and a tennis shoes as im on my feet 12 hr days. I have read over all the rider gear threads and have bought all of the stuff for the weekend long rides. What would be you guys suggestions for those m-f 110 days when I work in khaki shorts and shoes. My ride to work is 2.3 miles on a minimal traffic side street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Top Contributor

Bring a change of clothes. I won't ride in shorts.

It's a shame you have such a short ride. I don't HAVE to get out and ride on the weekends because I ride 50 miles a day to work. I bring tennis shoes with me because boots are not comfortable to me all day.

2007 V2K, Pearl White/Ti, Road Burner 3", Fi2000, Euro gears, Double Darkside (totaled 4/25/15)
1998 STX 1100 JETSKI (HERS)
1996 ZXi 1100 JETSKI
1990 KDX200
1982 GL500 SILVERWING (sold)
1981 KDX175
1983 JEEP WAGONEER
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 PM

boxers and boots.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Hmm.

1) You could wear your normal riding gear, and change at work.

2) You could get yourself a pair of riding overpants, wear them over your shorts. Bring along your work shoes to change into when you get there. Put on whatever riding jacket/head protection you wear, and off you go.

Funny thing, although I've ridden plenty of times without a helmet, I'd never consider riding a motorcycle in shorts and sneakers. I know, that doesn't have to make sense.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Im the opposite! Never never without a helmet!when I ride on my off days or long trips im in full gear. I see prob 2 cars on my way to work and home. Would khaki pants like dress pants be any better than shorts
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 PM
BOTM Winner
February 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic Black
Garage
I have ridden short distances in shorts...its not such a big deal. I worry about scortching my legs more than anything else.

CaptKurt
Secretary
Temecula Valley Vulcan Riders, chapter 1-22

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapaters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I use overpants. I typically wear slacks; so I wear them to keep my slacks from being covered in bugs! But overpants would work well in your situation. Just take them off when you get there and stuff them in a saddlebag.

Personally, I wear riding boots too and will swap shoes. I don't like riding in anything but boots; just me. I like the traction and grip; plus the ankle support.

A light mesh jacket, or just your polo shirt depending on the level of protection you want; and you're good to go. If I were you, I'd strongly consider the overpants and mesh jacket for a reason not mentioned; bugs! More than once I've had a big 'splat' across my chest (despite a tall windshield) or on my knees or legs. Luckily, the splat remains on my jacket; not my shirt or pants. Just for thought! Something to consider with swapping shoes, too. Whatever you might step in stays with you for that 12 hour shift!

I have zip up boots, so in 30 seconds the overpants are in a saddlebag, jacket are in the other saddlebag along with my boots; helmet is in the tour pak and I'm walking towards my office with dress shoes, slacks, and a collared shirt on looking like I just got out of my car! If I'm gonna wear a tie I'll put that on when I get there.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:14 PM

In the past, mostly because I've just gotten a bike again after several years, I'd buy a pair of jeans a size or two too large and wear them over whatever shorts I was going wear for the bulk of the day. I just made sure to try them on at the store with the same or similar shorts. Back then I didn't have (not sure they really made them) a mesh jacket with armor, but I always had a denim or leather jacket. For shoes, hell anything went but sandals, really.. Mostly hiking boots, as they tend to go well with khaki shorts. If you're wearing slacks, I'd go with cycling overpants, or for a short ride like that, some long jogging sweat pants might serve well. (the new high tech breathable stuff).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Garage
I believe in wearing gear on most rides. My commute is an hour each way and I wear leather overpants and jacket, switch to mesh stuff in the summer. However, if my ride was only 2.3 miles, I think I could handle that little spin in just shorts and gym shoes. lol....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 PM

I go the mesh route

I have mesh pants and jacket that I wear over anything, depending on the weather. I've taken the bike to funerals and had the jacket and tie in the luggage. Mesh pants over shorts is great in the summer. Works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode