Do helmets wear out? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Do helmets wear out?

My Scorpion EXD is about 3 years old. When I bought it, the fit was tight and the salesman said that it would be tight at first and would loosen a bit with use. Other than this normal loosening, I see no signs of wear.

So long as the helmet is not dropped or hit something which could damage it, what is the normal life expectancy? If I need to replace it, I will look for a red one that matches the Vulcan, rather than the white I now have. But I can't convince my wife I need a new helmet just for the color.

Red 2005 Vulcan Classic 800
National Cycle shield
River Road saddlebags

Patriot Guard Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM

It's widely stated to be a 5 year item. I'm not sure what I believe on that, but at the relative price vs. most of my other gear and my life, I'll live with that. They (you know, the ubiquitous 'they say that the padding degrades over time. That doesn't make total sense to me because that part is not exposed to UV, etc. and they're baked in a bloody oven, so the heat shouldn't do it. Regardless, I'm of a mindset to try to replace in about 5 years each time.. Immediately if it gets banged too hard.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Top Contributor

I have read that they should be replace every 5yrs due to the Styrofoam deteriorating, but that may just be so they can sell more helmets.

BigT hit the post button before me.

2007 V2K, Pearl White/Ti, Road Burner 3", Fi2000, Euro gears, Double Darkside (totaled 4/25/15)
1998 STX 1100 JETSKI (HERS)
1996 ZXi 1100 JETSKI
1990 KDX200
1982 GL500 SILVERWING (sold)
1981 KDX175
1983 JEEP WAGONEER

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Is it too late for me to say '5 years' too? I usually want a different helmet about that time anyway, as technology and styles change some too. The key is getting one that fits properly!! My first two I wanted a certain 'look', and they did not actually fit me properly. I think the sales girl knew her stuff, but wanted to simply let me get what I wanted..
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Do helmets wear out?

Quote:
Do helmets wear out?
sj,, NO.. they wear in.. I get a new one every year, sometimes 2. helmets, not years. cyclegear.com has got lots helmets reasonable. and a store 2 blox from my shop.
I give away free helmets to buddies who dont have one or arent wearing one. but then why do I call them buddies? well they'r some'sone buddy. poncho

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 03-27-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
Ponch, that's yore job, too take of us young'uns......

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 PM

Ok, this is something I can chime in on as I have quite of bit of knowledge and training. The "styrofoam" mentioned above is called expanded polystyrene ( please forgive if I misspelled that). Over time it does degrade from a number of factors. Main one is the moisture from the air and your head sweating. Even though you air it out and wash the inner comfort liner, moisture seeps in and causes it to degrade. Also the outer shell degrades from the uv light. Five years is what retailers like me recommend so that we can keep customers alive long enough to sell those new helmets. It's about protecting you, the end user. Could a helmet protect you longer than that? Possibly. But it could also catastrophically fail when you need it most. I hate hearing about riders who pass away from injuries caused by insufficient or outdated gear. Please don't allow yourself to be added to that statistic. Buy the best helmet you can afford, wear it for every ride, and ride safely. If you do that, it increases your chances of survival considerably while on your bike.

2009 Yamaha FZ6R- First bike, sold it to get my Vulcan
1999 Vulcan 800 Classic-Given to me by my dad, in exchange for me selling the Yamaha.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 PM

thinking back, I don't think I've ever had a helmet make 3 years, except when I had no cycle for several. I'm clumsy, and often not too bright, and every darned one of mine has been dropped on concrete or some other catastrophe. (Ever had a helmet someone spilled milk in and never told you? kids....)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, guys. So if my helmet makes it to 5 years, out it will go. But if I see something I really like before then...

Red 2005 Vulcan Classic 800
National Cycle shield
River Road saddlebags

Patriot Guard Rider
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:45 PM
V2K Rogue Wrangler

Industrial hard hats have a five year expiration date from date of manufacture. And they are ANSI certified which is much more rigorous that DOT.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode