Dash Cam for bikes - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Dash Cam for bikes

I have been looking for a good dual channel DVR that I can set and forget. I know there have been threads for the Go-pro and others but if it's not set and forget....well plain and simple; I'll forget... or at least get lazy.

I found a model that looks like it would do the job but it's a Chinese company and it doesn't seem like they do business in the U.S.

http://ozreprap.com/zencart/index.ph...products_id=55 (this link is to an AU site)

What I'm looking for is a front and rear camera with at least moderate video quality.
It needs to power on and off with the bike, have loop recording, and be waterproof.

Does anyone know of any good motorcycle dash cams?

Twice in this past week; I've had someone decide that they could find a better use for the asphalt directly in front of me and that I should find another lane of travel.
BTW, I really like my ABS brakes and my Wolo Bad Boy.

Thanks,
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB014 installation.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	58642  

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
That kit looks pretty nice. I haven't seen anything else like it and the only closest feature I've seen is on my drift cam. It will do a continuous dash-cam loop like that if it is turned on with usb power applied. It's more expensive than this kit though and only has video and audio... GPS and g-force readings aren't even an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin W
STL Missouri
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcrawler View Post
That kit looks pretty nice. I haven't seen anything else like it and the only closest feature I've seen is on my drift cam. It will do a continuous dash-cam loop like that if it is turned on with usb power applied. It's more expensive than this kit though and only has video and audio... GPS and g-force readings aren't even an option.
Those drift cams look great.
I've thought about putting my HD Sony on a Ram mount just for fun.

I had a lady turn off a side road from the left coming toward me the other day. She came all the way across the road and a foot or two into the shoulder.
I hit my brakes hard and tried to read what she was going to do (and where I should go); but really just ended up braking in a straight line.
She whipped it back into her lane and I passed her on the far right of mine. But, I wouldn't mind watching the "game reel" to see if I missed an option.

Anyway, you can never tell when you're that kind of thing is going to happen. So, having a cam come on a shut off with the key is really what I'm after.

Ride Safe
Scott

Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 PM
WEG

Hi Scott;

That's a really interesting camcorder. Does it come with a GPS and Accelerometer to get the information shown on the ad? Or do you need to tie into your GPS and smart phone?

It will come in handy when you take a ride through OKC .

Sorry, couldn't resist. I got a hoot out of the OKC-FTW "Best American City" back and forth. Reminded me of Mark Twain's quote; "There's liars, damn liars and statisticians." I've been to both places a few times and your "Cowtown" gets my vote.

WEG
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
That's pretty cool!

I have a Drift HD and those are great (helmet cam, though it could be mounted on the bike). Problem of course is battery life and the need to be started. The ideal is what you mentioned. On when the bike is on, always filming until it runs out of space, then it overwrites old footage. If something happens, you have footage; period.

So, if you find something; let me know! I'm kind of interested myself.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEG View Post
Hi Scott;

That's a really interesting camcorder. Does it come with a GPS and Accelerometer to get the information shown on the ad? Or do you need to tie into your GPS and smart phone?

It will come in handy when you take a ride through OKC .

Sorry, couldn't resist. I got a hoot out of the OKC-FTW "Best American City" back and forth. Reminded me of Mark Twain's quote; "There's liars, damn liars and statisticians." I've been to both places a few times and your "Cowtown" gets my vote.

WEG
It's a Chinese manufacturer; so whats really in the box might not resemble the ad.
I think the accelerometer and GPS are supposed to be part of the unit.

I've been searching for these and saw a couple of forum posts about them elsewhere.
I think a guy in the SV forums led a group buy, so I'm pretty sure they HAVE been in the U.S. market.
I saw some video posted from a guy in a U.K. forum that looked pretty decent for evidence footage.

As one guy in another forum put it "all of the technology is mature; it should be cheap and easy to put it on the market".

Scott

Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
That's pretty cool!

I have a Drift HD and those are great (helmet cam, though it could be mounted on the bike). Problem of course is battery life and the need to be started. The ideal is what you mentioned. On when the bike is on, always filming until it runs out of space, then it overwrites old footage. If something happens, you have footage; period.

So, if you find something; let me know! I'm kind of interested myself.
Will do.
I may need to buy more than one to get my hands on em.

Scott

Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Looks great. The sound quality wasn't the best but that might be helped with placement or a wind cover. The price seems reasonable as well. If it checks out and you need to do a group buy for a better price count me in.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 11:13 AM

Scott, if you wind up doing a group buy, I'd also be interested. I've been doing similar research, and you've clearly done better than I have! :-D
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 PM

I would look at or google uk dash cams. don't 90% of all their vehicles including bikes have them?? might not find a page in English but I bet they will still sell to you?

2007 VN900 Classic LT
Thunder Air kit
Cobra Dragster pipes
Dynajet Power Commander 3
Metzeler 880's
Red Led's under tank
National VRA member
Phoenix Vulcan Rider chapter AZ 1-15 member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode