Measuring Headlight for Windshield & Correct Shield Size - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Measuring Headlight for Windshield & Correct Shield Size

Pardon my ignorance, but I am just starting to make some mods to my bike and while this may seem like a stupid question, I want to make sure I have my facts straight. For reference, I have a completely stock 2008 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI.

I am in the process of determining what size Memphis Fats windshield I need and am presented with either a 7" or 9" cutout option. If I measure just the glass part of the headlight lens it is about 7", but if I measure across the widest part of the headlight housing it is more like 9". Which is the correct cutout for my bike?

Now for windshield height. I have watched the videos and read the posts about how to measure for proper windshield height, but I am doubting the results I've been getting. I am 6'3" and when I measure from the highest point of the headlight to the tip of my nose (using the same fork angle), I get about 17". That just doesn't seem right. I have read countless posts from guys that are under 6' that are looking over 19" Memphis shields. Something just doesn't make sense.

I want to make sure I can look over the shield, but I am afraid if I spend the money on a shield that is too short, I will get head buffeting. If I get one too big it could interfere in my line of sight.

Any suggestions?

- macabra11 -
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
[/COLOR]"...the biker minister always rode his Harley while wearing his shirt that said 'If you can read this, the bitch got raptured'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Not positive, but think would go for the 9" cutout. If you know someone locally that has a windshield you could hold into position on your bike and judge from there hieght, you should be able to judge your size right. If not, you can order the tallest one, and if too tall, many have cutdown the shield to thier liking. Torso length can make a perfect fit for one guy 6' tall be too short for another 6' tall.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 AM
El Jefe

Garage
Windshield sizing

You need to make sure that the cutout is bigger than the part of the headlight that the shield must go around. All good windsheild manufacturers will give you a reccommended size of the shield for your model of motorcycle. Secondly, you want to make certain that when riding in your normal riding position that you are looking over the sheild, not having to slouch or stretch your neck to get a clear view of the road in front of you. Shields will sometimes fog up or otherwise impair your vision of the road if you are looking throught them. Nothing worse than having the top of the shield right in the middle of your sight line.
Most of the buffetting you will get once you put a shield on will be coming under the sheild so the height isn't the only considersation for this issue.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
If you know someone locally that has a windshield you could hold into position on your bike and judge from there hieght, you should be able to judge your size right. If not, you can order the tallest one, and if too tall, many have cutdown the shield to thier liking. Torso length can make a perfect fit for one guy 6' tall be too short for another 6' tall.
I do not know anyone that has one of these shields that I could try out. I contacted my local dealership where I bought my bike and they don't stock any windshields. They said if I agreed to order through them, they have a template they'd let me use. But the shield would cost a lot more than if I ordered online, and I am not a fan of that dealership anyways (whenever you call or go in, it seems like they are annoyed you are there and they never want to help).

Regarding torso length, most of my height is in my torso. I wear XLT shirts and this is why I am confused by my measurements I am getting for the shield.

I might call around to other dealerships (brands) to see if anyone has Memphis Shades in stock.

- macabra11 -
[/COLOR]"...the biker minister always rode his Harley while wearing his shirt that said 'If you can read this, the bitch got raptured'"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Top Contributor

Visit another dealer. My shop, the one I use, has a MS shield that is a demo one with markings for the various heights and was a great aid in my making a good selection.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Xul

At 5'11, a 19" shield placed the top edge directly in my line of sight, so you might b ok with a couple of extra inches. Worst case you can always cut the shield down, there are a couple of tutorials on the net that will leave a good edge if you're careful and good at following driections. One thing to be aware of if you've been riding without a shield is that the wind will give you some steering input all on it's own. The bigger the shield the more you'll notice it, can be disconcerting at first. About the time it stays at least 50 degrees in the morning mine winds up in storage.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Xul, I have been reading a bunch of reviews from people that say the same kind of thing. That unless their going on a long trip, the shield is off. I am just looking for something to take a little wind resistance off my body. Going for long rides at highway speeds tends to tire out my arms and back.

I've thought about a backrest either instead or in conjunction with a shield, but I don't care for how any of them look and I don't want to change from the stock seat (which I love).

- macabra11 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode