To iPod or not iPod? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

To iPod or not iPod?

I used to mountain bike with a friend who forbade me from using an iPod while mountain biking. He said it was a safety issue. We needed to be able to hear if someone was yelling at us.

Now I'm motor biking, and considering using my iPod while doing so, and thinking it might present a similar safety issue.

So I'm curious what your opinions are? Would you consider plugging your ears with headphones while riding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 AM

I do so regularly. I have ear buds plugged into my phone. I haven't had any problems hearing what is going on around me. The only problem I've had is going too fast because the music can get me all cranked up!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Nomad 1700
Cobra Luggage Rack
Airlite Crash Bar Chaps
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 AM

I do it, on bicycle and motorcycle.. (I don't ride trail / mountain) I have to be careful about keeping the volume down, or I don't feel that I can hear particularly well. I'm going to get an in-helmet bluetooth solution quite soon.

Check your state and local laws. I found out, while riding in Rhode Island that some of the New England states have laws against wearing headphones at all while on a vehicle.. I was on a cruiser bicycle borrowed from a friend when I was (rather nicely) informed by the local constabulary that it was illegal.

I use a bluetooth already because I don't like the idea of the longer wires, but it's a 'runners' type, not the open speakers in helmet.. Anyway, below is the link to a map with some state by state information. *for cage drivers, but as nearly as I can find, it applies to all motor vehicles.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/17/...ic_final_2.jpg

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Using anything that has noise can be a real big problem if you don't think about the dangers associated with using them. My first bad experience with headphones. Slowing down for a red light and didn't hear the 14' box truck sliding from behind me. He saw me braking but he was going too fast to stop. He slid 175' before he hit me in the rear and pushed me through the stop light. No one Hurt, but lesson learned. I still ride with music just a lot more cautious.

iPod Adapter,Aux Lights,CB Radio,12V Adapter, Corbin Seat Dual Tour,Kuryakyn Black Longhorn Offset Pegs, Grantour Bag, Grancruise Bag
Wolo Horn, Cee Bailey's 9" clear Shield, Scootworks Phatrisers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 AM

It is a distraction...............however just be more cautious and keep the volume at a level where you can hear somewhat...........when you take away your hearing thats one less tool to keep you safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode