Tailbone question... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Black
Garage
Tailbone question...

Hi all. I have a 2012 Vulcan 900 Classic LT and have taken my gf with me on a lot of rides, but she injured her tailbone a couple of years ago and has difficulty riding longer than about 30 minutes. I've considered a Mustang seat, and I've had a few people recommend cushions or other aftermarket pads. My problem is my gf doesn't want to be sitting on something that obvious, plus the problem of stowing it when we stop somewhere.
Has anyone had any success with bicycle shorts or anything like that? I'm looking for suggestions here. I'd hate to put out that much money on a new seat and find out that it won't help either. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Look into those Tommy Copper products. from what I've seen they are designed to give extra support. They might help her.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 AM

I have not tried it, but due to my wife's bone problems from metastatic breast cancer, I'm looking into the butty buddy and / or an airhawk for her. The butty buddy goes over the seat with side extensions that spread the weight. Reviews are rather positive, but I haven't met anyone with real-world experience yet. Given the price point, I may just buy it anyway, and if it doesn't help I'm not in as deep as a Mustang or Corbin.

Last edited by BigT; 02-09-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: too stupid to spell correctly the first time...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:31 AM

I am recovering from a broken tailbone and the Alaskan Leather Buttpad has added some additional comfort for me. The Buttpad is made from sheepskin, and you basically cannot see them when you are sitting on the seat. The Buttpad adds some extra cushion, is warmer in winter and cooler in summer, and it straps onto the seat so you do not have to remove & store it when you stop. Lastly, they are pretty inexpensive, worth a try before you sink some big bucks into an aftermarket seat. When you order online use the coupon code "deadsheep" for 10% off your entire order.

2012 Vulcan 900 Custom
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Garage
If you do change the seat, I recommend you look at a Russel Daylong seat and have it custom made for her. The best riding seat that I've ever sit my ass on. Friendly folks there and do nothing but first class work. They have a patented spring design that do make a difference. The other thing is, hold your speed down when she is riding with you. It may make the trip longer, but she may be able to ride longer? Russel seats are not cheap, but they do increase the resale of the bike. I had them modify my Corbin seat to what they recommended and it fits great. Best thing for those 400-500 mile a day rides!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	59242  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode