Sena SMH5-FM Dual set - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Sena SMH5-FM Dual set

Kit includes everything needed for two helmets. Includes two: SMH5-FMs, mounts, two sets of helmet speakers, two microphones for full face helmets, two boom microphones for half/three quarter helmets, and two charging cords along with instruction manual. Used on one 1,400 mile weekend trip to test against the factory intercom/CB on my Voyager - I decided to stay with my wired hook up of the Voyager installed system . . .

$170 - Shipped to the lower 48 - other locations, we can work an actual shipping cost out . . . Must do PayPal . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Garage
What about these didn't you like?
I've been looking for something like this for me and my son.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
I loved the cordless part of them . . . but the drawback there is on long rides you need to either plug them in (I had a small portable USB power supply that I tested out for this and it worked well) or remember to bring it in with you at lunch and charge it . . . I also ride with an open face and got wind noise through the mic which I don't get through the factory system . . . I know how to adjust the factory VOX settings so the mic only goes open when I talk into it, but didn't take the time to figure out that part of these . . . Perhaps someone who uses them regularly can chime in as to if/how that is adjustable. I will add though that the speakers are top notch - far better audio volume/clarity than the factory set up.

But the main part I didn't like is that its not plug and play . . . You have to pair up anything and everything that you want to hear . . . While not difficult, its not intuitive for me. I don't like having to reach up and hit a button on my head to start to talk (if left alone you only have to do it once and the mic stays open - but then there is the wind noise) - For the factory set up Just talk . . . And I don't like that using this takes out the CB function of my Voyager - For whatever reason, Kawi only channels the CB output through the Helmet speakers . . . So you have to be plugged in to hear that and definitely need to be plugged in to talk on that . . . To get a Bluetooth adapter for this to work with the CB (Which would be great and is possible on Harley and Gold Wings for $$$) isn't yet available for these . . .

I had purchased these for the 8,200 mile, 19 day ride my nephew and I took. His bike does not have factory CB, and he was having issues with his J&M CB2003 . . . I bought these and tested them on one ride with my son . . . And didn't really take the time to learn everything about them - I know there are A LOT of fans of these . . . As it turns out, my nephew got his J&M unit mounted and working, so these stayed at home while we toured the country . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride

Last edited by Napom; 09-22-2015 at 09:02 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 07:43 PM

Garage
I'd love to use these while I help my son learn to ride. I'll take them right now if you'd part with them for 150.00 shipped to Oklahoma, 73132.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode