Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Repair help needed cylinder had question

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tarsyn 
#1 ·
I have a question, I have a 2008 nomad and I am replacing the rear cylinder head. I bought a used one from eBay. I haven’t gotten it yet but while reading the service manual it states that the rocker case and cylinder head are machined in place and need to be used together and not to mix up. I spoke to the seller and he says that he always sells them separately and has never had an issue with Mixing them as long as a rear is used with a rear etc because they are all line bored to the same tolerances. I just want to know if this is true or do I need a complete head assembly and not mix my rocker case with the used cylinder head? Thanks

#2 ·
The service manual is correct. Line boring is done for a purpose, to insure the journals are aligned in that specific casting set. Yes, they are all close, but there will be some misalignment.
The same applies with the engine case. I don't know why sellers insist on splitting matched assemblies to sell. I personally will not buy or use a mismatched assembly. I have built quite a few of these engines and there are a number of parts that can be swapped, but not the machined assemblies.
Now, with that in mind, I am sure there will be people who will tell me they rebuilt their engine using parts & pieces from many different assemblies and they are running just fine with xxk miles, your choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.